• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

Honestly, I'd be fine with getting rid of the jump/step putt, (I use a jump putt fyi) however, for fairway shots, you need to be able to pass your marker. Standstill drives or totally altering your run up for fairways shots is kind of non-sense. Just limit it to "putts" and not "throws."
I suppose the trouble then is being able to differentiate between a putt and a throw. But I think its kind of obvious when someone is putting and someone is throwing.

If the length of the lie is extended to two meters, then there would be room for a (limited) follow through without passing the marker. Jump putts would be possible, but would have to be more controlled.

If the length of the lie is extended to two meters, then there would be room for a (limited) follow through without passing the marker. Jump putts would be possible, but would have to be more controlled.

A 2-meter lie would bring in all sorts of new issues, though. Sure, it might be easier to allow for follow throughs that don't pass the marker (jump putt or otherwise), but judging whether the thrower was on the lie at all becomes infinitely more difficult. People seem to have a hard enough time judging a 30cm line immediately behind the marker. Adding up to 5.5 feet of gap between one's foot and the marker certainly doesn't make that easier.

A 2-meter lie would bring in all sorts of new issues, though. Sure, it might be easier to allow for follow throughs that don't pass the marker (jump putt or otherwise), but judging whether the thrower was on the lie at all becomes infinitely more difficult. People seem to have a hard enough time judging a 30cm line immediately behind the marker. Adding up to 5.5 feet of gap between one's foot and the marker certainly doesn't make that easier.

True, but it is more easily adjudicated than determining if a supporting point was off the playing surface (jump putt), or had touched the playing surface (step putt) at the time of release. Being a centimeter or two off the lie gives the player less of an unfair advantage than an illegal step of jump putt in most cases.

The biggest concern though (IMHO) is permitting a follow through on full power fairway shots.

True, but it is more easily adjudicated than determining if a supporting point was off the playing surface (jump putt), or had touched the playing surface (step putt) at the time of release. Being a centimeter or two off the lie gives the player less of an unfair advantage than an illegal step of jump putt in most cases.

The biggest concern though (IMHO) is permitting a follow through on full power fairway shots.

A 2m lie would be really problematic on standstill "step-around" throws. In a lot of cases it would change the game by taking an obstacle completely out of play. You're arguing the putt throw, but to apply it universally brings in many other things.

IMHO, anything that would prohibit what most of us consider a normal follow through on fairway shots would detrimental to the game.

I don't jump putt, but honestly don't necessarily see why you shouldn't be able to "follow through" inside 10m. I'd rather allow jump putts (and presumbly falling putts) inside the circle than prohibit follow through outdide the circle.

Last edited:
Not sure I even see a competitve advantage to being a chronic falling putter.

Why not get rid of the circle completely? As long as you release on the LOP from within 30 cm of your lie, it shouldn't matter where you end up.

A 2m lie would be really problematic on standstill "step-around" throws. In a lot of cases it would change the game by taking an obstacle completely out of play. You're arguing the putt throw, but to apply it universally brings in many other things.

This topic's proposed change sparked discussion regarding injuries which would be ameliorated by permitting a controlled follow through.

Not changing the 802.04 would be my choice, if there were an option.

Why not get rid of the circle completely? As long as you release on the LOP from within 30 cm of your lie, it shouldn't matter where you end up.

Players can get more power in their putt by moving toward the basket. More power coming from the planted leg means less is needed from the flapping arm, which means more accuracy.

Most healthy young males probably don't need the extra boost within 10m. But, they do follow through on longer putts. Players who are not young men could use the extra boost at distances shorter than 10m.

Removing the circle would - in a way - be more fair. It would let everyone follow through at whatever distance they need to.

Players can get more power in their putt by moving toward the basket. More power coming from the planted leg means less is needed from the flapping arm, which means more accuracy.

Most healthy young males probably don't need the extra boost within 10m. But, they do follow through on longer putts. Players who are not young men could use the extra boost at distances shorter than 10m.

Removing the circle would - in a way - be more fair. It would let everyone follow through at whatever distance they need to.

Interesting idea, that would open up disc golf to running 360 basket dunks, now that might bring more eyeballs to the sport!

Interesting idea, that would open up disc golf to running 360 basket dunks, now that might bring more eyeballs to the sport!
Why not?

As long as you can release on the LOP from within 30cm of your lie, and no point of support any closer to the basket, why restrict players from any style of throw they can make with their own body and abilities?

Added bonus: no more having to hear "I'm outside the circle, right?" 10 times a round from that guy.

IMHO, anything that would prohibit what most of us consider a normal follow through on fairway shots would detrimental to the game.

I don't jump putt, but honestly don't necessarily see why you shouldn't be able to "follow through" inside 10m. I'd rather allow jump putts (and presumbly falling putts) inside the circle than prohibit follow through outdide the circle.

Well done! That is the most logical solution. It simplifies the rules of play and yet the game remains inherently the same. I agree 100 percent!

This topic's proposed change sparked discussion regarding injuries which would be ameliorated by permitting a controlled follow through.

Not changing the 802.04 would be my choice, if there were an option.

I agree. and I understand. I was only stating that for the injuries a 2m lie might mitigate, it would also create other issues.

Tail Marking is garbage. :thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

You can't have a system where marking involved moving the projectile prior to the mark. It completely defeats the purpose of marking!!

Just having tail marking in general opens a whole new can of worm. Land just in front of a tree. Nose mark it to get a legal stance. Tale mark it force me to play behind a tree. Land behind a tree. tail mark (ie. leave disc down) give room to hopefully not hit hand on tree. I don't think that system is broken. The way it is currently has the best of both worlds and allows for "wiggle room"

Jump putts would be nice if it was dropped. Rewording the rules so you must have one supporting contact point on the ground at all times for a set time. Keeps in mind that longer drives and upshots that need an unwinding will still have the option. I do jump put myself by the way.

I'd like to add tail marking as an option so players could use the disc on the ground and keep the current options so there's at least "one disc" width flexibility in marking position.

I have the perfect solution for everyone (and yet nobody will like it ;))

Require players to remain behind the mark until the disc is at rest in the basket. Otherwise you must proceed to mark and hole out. That way it completely eliminates jump putts and gives you a choice to go for it on fairway throws. Think you can put it in from the fairway? Better stand and deliver. Just want to throw it far? Go past your mark.

I'd like to add tail marking as an option so players could use the disc on the ground and keep the current options so there's at least "one disc" width flexibility in marking position.

I think the better rule would be to shift the mark to the front of a thrown disc so there is no flexibility at all.

Why not eliminate the circle completely and simply allow people to follow through wherever they are, as long as they release within 30cm behind their lie on the LOP?

You want to jump putt, jump putt.
You want to stand and deliver, fine.
You like a conventional run-up and follow through, go for it.

Simple, easy to police, fair for everyone, no one gets a competitive advantage.

My suggestion would allow "falling putts," but is that really a competitive advantage?

Last edited: