• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon DGC indefinitely closed

Is this the VIP annual thing? If so I'm in Easton and would be interested in playing a round with you guys at my home course. ~30 minutes east of Jordan Creek. It's not the fanciest course around but we have a ton of elevation change that makes for a fun round.

Na VIPeeps haven't had a meet in 2 years IIRC. It was Chicago area I believe and couldn't attend, there's been no discussion for a while. Matter of fact I'm about to go start a thread there now for 2019 lol

Not the first time Nockamixon was either partially or completely closed for reasons like this.

Yet the Valley and the immediate area still has a ton of great DG, everybody will be just fine

Not the first time Nockamixon was either partially or completely closed for reasons like this.

Yet the Valley and the immediate area still has a ton of great DG, everybody will be just fine

Sadly, no it won't. The Ash Borer is a relentless tragedy that will ultimately impact all of the trees. Any concentration of Ash trees in a park or course setting will be devastated.

Sadly, no it won't. The Ash Borer is a relentless tragedy that will ultimately impact all of the trees. Any concentration of Ash trees in a park or course setting will be devastated.

I wonder happens to the ash borer when they finally run out of ash trees? Do they move on to oaks?..:(

I wonder happens to the ash borer when they finally run out of ash trees? Do they move on to oaks?..:(

There's already a couple less prominent species of tree that the EAB has success with. Russian Olive and white fringetree are both succeptible, though with lower success rates for the EAB.

There's already a couple less prominent species of tree that the EAB has success with. Russian Olive and white fringetree are both succeptible, though with lower success rates for the EAB.

I am sure this is true, but the proliferation of Russian Olive has exploded with the loss of Ash trees around here. The loss of this many trees has turned forested areas into meadow tracts of land, allowing for Russian Olive to thrive.

I am sure this is true, but the proliferation of Russian Olive has exploded with the loss of Ash trees around here. The loss of this many trees has turned forested areas into meadow tracts of land, allowing for Russian Olive to thrive.

That's interesting and makes perfect sense.
You guys up north were hit first with the EAB and we're at least a handful of years behind. All I'm seeing around here is all the dead ash, nothing taking over after it's demise yet.

I recently read an article about the "next" tree killer but don't recall the name or even if it was a bug or a disease. What I do remember is that it can affect ALL hardwood trees. That's not what I want to hear.

Man am I sorry to hear this. I've tried to make a trip out to Nockamixon at least twice over the last few years, but weather or other factors intervened. Now I'm sorry to see that I may never get to play it.

News like this makes me appreciate the marvelous courses that I have been able to get to, even when I've had to jump through hoops to do it. You never know when an opportunity will be your last!

Does anyone on here have any updates about this? I saw on Udisc someone just posted a review saying the course needed a trim, but it also is listed as unavailable and I don't see any updates on the state parks website. Just curious if any locals have any inside information?

Does anyone on here have any updates about this? I saw on Udisc someone just posted a review saying the course needed a trim, but it also is listed as unavailable and I don't see any updates on the state parks website. Just curious if any locals have any inside information?

I'm local, I'll admit not too involved in leagues or tournaments (scheduling issues) but I do know all those guys. Haven't heard a peep about it reopening sadly...hopefully someone else here has some insider info I'm unaware of!

I heard from a local arborist about two weeks ago:

In early 2019, the state accepted bids for clearing out the ash trees on the course. Several large firms bid in the neighborhood of $200,000 - $300,000. The state eventually accepted a bid from a very small (also incompetent and negligently optimistic in his estimation) independent firm that bid only $40,000. The course was closed in March of that year, and work on clearing the trees started. The small firm toiled away until they ran out of profit motive, there were contractual disputes between that firm and the state, and then COVID happened, which brought everything to a halt. As of now, there might be a commercial logger on the scene to come to the rescue, but he was not clear about that.

All of that is hearsay as far as I am concerned, so although I am inclined to trust the guy I heard it from, perhaps you should take it with a grain of salt. He seemed to think it unlikely that the work would be complete any time soon.

Also, LVDC took good care of Nocky for many years, so if it is open again I would not expect it to need a trim. As I write this I am considering stopping by the park to take a walk and assess the situation. I missed the course enough to ask an arborist friend if he knew anything... might as well go check it for myself.

I will post here if I have an update.

Thanks all for looking into such things. I absolutely loved this place and would gladly trek the 5 hours to go back here for an opportunity to play the course even just one more time.

Much of the discussion about the trees is mostly correct. The course is closed. You can actually reach out on the Nockamixon page on Facebook, but I'm just going to tell you the same there as here, it's closed until further notice.

Eh, I'm not much to look at, but I do enjoy throwing frisbees into the first available

Lol, I bet most of us aren't exactly Brad Pitt. I guess I'm just looking forward to everyone finding out my maxD is closer to 200':D

Don't know whatchoo talkin' 'bout, I'm gorgeous!

Latest posts