• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob Help

412Disc

Double Eagle Member
Alright guys, I need some help picking some discs for me. Im 6'2'' pretty athletic and can throw a decent standard forehand and backhand.

I currently have:
Innova Dart Putter
Innova Champion Beast driver

I need some help picking a mid range disc and some other discs to help me arsenal. Any recommendations?

I was thinking a Buzzz or a Star will help me out, but I'm not really sure. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Thanks guys!

Buzzz is a fantastic disc, as are the Shark and Coyote. A lot of people will say Roc, but i think those are just a little too overstable for people just starting out. Welcome to the sport!

FLX is popular, but I have a Z Buzzz SS that works well for me, since I didn't want to wait a year for a Buzzz to beat in properly.

Having finally tried the Z Comet today I simply cannot recommend it enough. It is the best possible disc for a beginner. You can throw it on a frozen rope for anything between 30 to 300+ feet without the need to hyzerflip it, or you can just place it wherever you want with hyzer or anhyzer. It'll also reveal your OAT problems.

I don't think there's any disc out there that'll finish straighter than most putters on short upshots and still handle a full on (clean) power drive. As a beginner you're going to want a disc that doesn't fade out on you.

Other than that a Buzzz or and MD2 will suffice quite nicely.

Z Buzzz for the summer, FLX Buzzz for the rain and the winter.

If I was building a bag for a beginner it would look like this:

Buzzz
Teebird
Valkyrie
Wizard

most of that is just because thats what I learned with but i think it would be a pretty solid starter bag.

If I was building a bag for a beginner it would look like this:

Buzzz
Teebird
Valkyrie
Wizard

most of that is just because thats what I learned with but i think it would be a pretty solid starter bag.

Good choices. Mine would be this:

River
Buzzz SS
Ion

Good choices. Mine would be this:

River
Buzzz SS
Ion

River is just to nose angle sensitive for me to recommended it to a beginner. I love my river but I dont think I would recommend it for a beginner. Never thrown the buzzz SS so cant say anything about that. As for the ion I actually carry both Ions and Wizards and love them both.

alright, so i see a consensus on the Buzzz. But which one would suit me best? And the ions and wizards, will they suit me well?

I love the buzz in Pro-d and Z but I dont think you can really go wrong with any plastic. As for putters it really just depends on what you get used to. I started with aviars and hated them but some people love them. For me wizards are just awesome discs from 100' and in and my ion is only really used if I need a dead straight shot less than 200'.

River is just to nose angle sensitive for me to recommended it to a beginner. I love my river but I dont think I would recommend it for a beginner. Never thrown the buzzz SS so cant say anything about that. As for the ion I actually carry both Ions and Wizards and love them both.

valk is way more nose angle sensitive then a river

what is the deal with this nose angle sensitive? Could someone shed some light on this for me?

Can't believe only one of you have mentioned a Roc.... Roc's are meant to be used with more than one. Get two! Beat one to death! They'll make the best compliment to each other.

Problem is with the lack of a premium plastic option you will be constantly buying new rocs to fill the the stable mid slot in your bag. If they would make a star or champ roc for a decent price it would be on the top of my list.

I think the dart is a great putter. It is really a straight flyer and will be true to you. It was my main putter before i lost it. The buzzz is also one of the best mid ranges out there. It really helped me improve my game and understanding of the game. The teebird is also a great disc to try out. Personally i have not used it and are going for the river but the teebird is just as recomended as the buzzz due to their outstanding performance for both beginner and pro levels. If anything go with the buzzz, roc, teebird or a combination of 2 or all 3. They are all fantastic and amazing to really learn the techniques of this game.

Buy a Roc or Buzzz. Whichever one feels good in your hand. Then buy a Comet or Fuse. Same deal. Roc and Comet or Buzzz and Fuse are two great mid combos. You could try a Core also. It has a similar feel to the Buzzz. Any of those discs are great. Just depends what feels good to you.

If you have access to Latitude 64 I'd recommend the Pain and Fuse. That is also a great combo. They are just more difficult to find at retail locations.