• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob Help

Alright so Buzzz, leopard, or Star for my next disc. I'll look into them then. But, what is with Teebirds?

Star is a plastic type for innova discs not an actual disc. Teebirds are a good begginer-pro disc. It is a tried and true mold that many players have in their bag. I carry a 172 champ teebird. You should be able to throw this straight forehand or backhand with a little fade at the end.

My mistake, I realized that after I had posted. About how many discs should one carry for an average course?

When starting out IMO. Just keep it simple and carry 3. Putter that feels good in your hands, a Buzzz and a starter driver that also feels good in your hands.. Carrying to many from the git go gets confusing and you start second guessing what you threw. Keep it simple and learn 3 disc like the back of your hand.. Consentrate on Form, Arm speed, Snap..... once you have those basics then move on to what discs fit your game.

Alright so Buzzz, leopard, or Star for my next disc. I'll look into them then. But, what is with Teebirds?

Teebirds are good for beginners too. But that is why I suggested a TL, which is a more understable version of the Teebird. By it being more understable, that means it's a straighter version of the Teebird and won't fall as hard to the left if you don't quite get it up to speed, assuming you're RHBH.

you need a boss, a vulcan, a groove and a pancake

Oh, and 412disc, welcome to DGCR and the great sport of disc golf. Just a warning though. If you'll refer to the post I've quoted here, I'll use it as an example of why you need a good sarcasm detector on these forums. Oh and ya gotta have some thick skin at times. Some of the guys on here are pretty rough on new players. (HEY EVERYONE, NOTICE HOW I DIDN'T SAY NOOB!!!!!!)

My mistake, I realized that after I had posted. About how many discs should one carry for an average course?
Well I went out today with just my Z Comet and had I avoided two OBs (it was very gusty out there) I would've matched my best score for this season... When you're starting out you don't want to be carrying too many discs, best if you never have to think about what you're going to throw next. Three discs, tops. You can also go out with just a putter or a mid.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think for now, I'm just going to go out with the two discs I have and just practice, practice, practice. Soon I'll invest in a Buzzz, but we'll see. And the sarcasm detector post, I realized this fairly quickly. Guys on here seem to have a good sense of humor. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Stalker - Great Fairway driver

Buzz - Best Midrange ever

Magnet- Greatest putter ever!

I will give it up for the TL also. Pretty good fairway driver

I've heard good things about roadrunners. What about them as a beginner disc?

I found the Roadrunner to be a decent disc for adding distance to my drive early on, but like any distance driver it's still a little too much disc for a beginner. I shelved my distance drivers and went strictly to fairway drivers and found that my form improved dramatically as soon as I did that. I would recommend starting with the slower speed stuff like a Leopard, TL, Eagle, Teebird, etc (I personally love the Vibram Ascent) until you have mastered those. I have heard it said that you shouldn't start throwing anything over a speed 7 until you can get 400' consitently with those drivers. Not quite there yet myself, but things are looking up.

I found the Roadrunner to be a decent disc for adding distance to my drive early on, but like any distance driver it's still a little too much disc for a beginner.

^What this guy said. You could do a lot worse for a first distance driver though. The important thing when trying to excel at this sport is to really focus on the fundamentals and max out your distance/accuracy with putters, mids, and the slower drivers.

I'd just stick with a putter, mid or 2 and a slow stable/understable driver like a Leopard, Gazelle, Cyclone, Cheetah, Polaris, Stalker, JLS, TL, EL, Teebird, Eagle, etc.

No you're good, grasshopper.

What I'm recommending are power and finesse combos. You can get either Roc or Comet for example, but depending on which one you get is going to have a tremendous effect on your player development.

For example: Let's say you get a Roc. It fades hard on you so you develop an anhyzer style to keep it going straight. This will make throwing neutral stable or understable mids difficult later on.

Let's say you get a Comet, the quintessential beginner mid. You learn to shape lines and hyzer flip and develop really clean form but whenever the wind kicks up or you have a tough dogleg left hole, you have to throw with a lot of hyzer to compensate or if you get an overstable mid to deal with this it will seem really overstable.

So in short, I'm just covering all the bases. With an overstable-stable mid and a stable-understable mid, you have a vast majority of shots covered.

Thanks a ton bro D.

412, I cannot emphasize enough how lucky you are to have this info. Seriously, take it, and run with it. (If only fate had told this to me at 0.2 yrs of playing....)

I personally choose the Roc-Comet pairing, and D is right - you will have the majority of shots covered.

This is my mid combo as well. However, once I beat my ESP Buzzz up enough, it will probably replace my Meteor.

I am trying to do this and use a Z Buzz (that i just got) and a Cryztal to try out. I hate how flippy those meteors get only being in ESP plastic. Wish they made me in Z

So hornet or meteor to go along with the z buzzz?

Yes, but it really isn't one or the other. You'd need both to really get the nice lineup, because the Hornet and Meteor are at opposite ends of the stability spectrum (overstable and understable, respectably), and the Buzzz is in between.

Latest posts