• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob Help

you should definitely look into either a stalker or a teebird, and let the beast sit out for awhile.

So hornet or meteor to go along with the z buzzz?

if you're really set on the z buzzz, which is a great disc by the way(although i am completely biased), you would want something a little more understable to compliment it and some more overstable. the mids i use are an opto fuse, z buzzz, and flx drone.

to look at a lot of discs with their stabilities, go here

and like other people said dont get something really fast or super overstable, you're starting out so keep it simple

That's exactly what I was looking for Chris. Thanks. I need a way to try out some of these discs without shelling out the cash. Any thoughts?

some may disagree with this, but I believe that every new player should start off with an Innova Mako before moving on to a more technical midrange like the buzzz or roc. My reasoning is thus: Barring high winds, a Mako will hold whichever line you release it with, meaning you can use it to do some early troubleshooting and see where you naturally tend to throw. This is especially useful if you are playing alone or with similarly inexperienced players who can't offer you helpful critiques on your shots.

some may disagree with this, but I believe that every new player should start off with an Innova Mako before moving on to a more technical midrange like the buzzz or roc. My reasoning is thus: Barring high winds, a Mako will hold whichever line you release it with, meaning you can use it to do some early troubleshooting and see where you naturally tend to throw. This is especially useful if you are playing alone or with similarly inexperienced players who can't offer you helpful critiques on your shots.
Sorry, but if were going down this road, a Mako is not the disc of choice. While I do like the Mako, a Comet would be vastly superior for this role. Though if you simply have to have Innova, Mako it is.

Sorry, but if were going down this road, a Mako is not the disc of choice. While I do like the Mako, a Comet would be vastly superior for this role. Though if you simply have to have Innova, Mako it is.

You may very well be right. My area doesn't have too much in the way of Discraft so I've never had the pleasure of throwing a comet. Had I known that Discraft has a midrange that can go as straight as the Mako I would have thrown it out there too. Thanks for pointing that out though!:thmbup:

exactly why i recommend a fuse. a little harder to get a hold of than an Innova disc but definitely worth it.

btw where are you in pittsburgh? i go to school at iup so i'm pretty familiar with the area.

im in oakland. pm me chris we will discuss about maybe playing a round. And do you guys really think i should set aside the beast, will it hurt my technique playing with it now?

For now drop the beast for BH - its just too fast - but it will serve you well if you want to throw some FHs.

And do you guys really think i should set aside the beast, will it hurt my technique playing with it now?

There's a good chance that it might hinder your development but ultimately it's up to you since we can't see you throw it. Keep it for fun, wide open bomber holes where accuracy isn't important but stick to slower stuff as your bread and butter.

The marketplace here is a great place to swap plastic, so if you get a Comet and decide you don't like it it's pretty easy to trade for another mid you might like.

Also, I definitely 2nd the Comet>Mako argument for a learning mid. Mako are good but Comets are plainly just unparalleled in terms of their glide and neutral stability. The Fuse is right behind it though, IMO.

Now I can't wait until I'm done with finals. I really want to get out there and just toss some disc. By the way, are there any tips on the marketplace for noobs. Since I have 0 feedback, what is the usual practice?

So many answers.

I was surprised that some people recommend the buzz because the roc is supposedly too stable. I find the z buzz and z comet to be more stable than the dx rancho roc. I hear the x comet is not so stable, and I'd try that if I weren't already used to the dx stingray, dx roc, and dx whippet as my midrange discs. But I'm not going to comment further on any discs I'm not familiar with.

I have to say I like the star mako. It's similar to the coyote but straighter, and Blake says it starts out like a roc that has been beat in for 6 months. I find it is the same straight line as the roc but with a much slower fade than a new roc. I think it would be a really friendly disc for a beginner. But I'm sticking with the dx rancho roc for now because it is really punishing me whenever my technique is just a little off, and I like that since I am practicing daily and trying to eliminate error.

I suggest getting a few dx rancho rocs and practicing driving with them, and there are a lot of top pros who say that again and again. But also practive driving your putter, especially in strong tailwinds, or drive a really understable midrange in tailwinds, like the dx stingray. But your dart is almost a stingray already, so I think you are set for an understable all purpose disc.

For strong headwinds, a severely overstable high speed disc, like a firebird, is needed. For more moderate headwinds, I like a bit slower, bit less overstable disc, like the banshee.

I like to address strong crosswinds using a severely overstable low speed disc with a lot of turn resistance and fade, like the whippet or banshee, and throw then so they try to fade into the wind (i.e., rhbh into a left to right cross wind, rhfh into a right to left cross wind) and wind up finishing long and straight as a result.

So, long story short, to drive straight in various wind conditions, you might consider:

Strong Headwinds: Champ Firebird in Max Weight
Moderate Headwinds: Banshee
Strong Crosswinds: Whippet or Viper
Strong Tailwinds: Dart or Stingray
Little or No Wind: DX Rancho Roc or Star Mako

Once a roc beats in to the point it starts flipping, it can be used in place of the stingray. Then I can start carrying rocs in different stages of wear to fill those same slots.

thanks for the long reply jen, I really appreciate it. Does anyone else have any comments on the star mako? I have read some good things about it as a beginner disc, but not really 100% sure.

Ahh, I finally got two new discs. A z buzzz and a z comet. (thanks bamm) I've played quite a few round recently, went out for two today actually. I couldn't thank you all enough. The comet and buzzz really helped my game. I shot par and 2 over on both of my rounds today. I'd have to say it was quite successful. I have another question though: I feel im missing something for my short range, but not putting distance. The comet/ buzzz aren't really working for that range. Do any of you have any suggestions? I know a few pages back, the meteor was mentioned. Would that do the job? Thanks again guys.

Ahh, I finally got two new discs. A z buzzz and a z comet. (thanks bamm) I've played quite a few round recently, went out for two today actually. I couldn't thank you all enough. The comet and buzzz really helped my game. I shot par and 2 over on both of my rounds today. I'd have to say it was quite successful. I have another question though: I feel im missing something for my short range, but not putting distance. The comet/ buzzz aren't really working for that range. Do any of you have any suggestions? I know a few pages back, the meteor was mentioned. Would that do the job? Thanks again guys.

I say use your putter for something like that. Don't think of a putter as a disc just for putting. Try to drive with it even and see how far it will fly. I use a putter all the way up to about 300'.

I regularly use my putter to drive on holes that require a tight straight ahead line, it comes in handy. But I thought there would be another disc to get the job done

What kind of shots are you needing? I agree with jongoff, I use a putter for anything 250' or so and approaches

Well a meteor is understable. What putter do you have now? Try a KC aviar if you need a good driving putter

I have a dart. I'm not really in a rush for another disc, just wondering. I still want to perfect my game.

I have a dart. I'm not really in a rush for another disc, just wondering. I still want to perfect my game.

What plastic? A Star Dart might be a bit more overstable but really any Dart should be able to handle the range you're talking about, you just have to tinker with your throw to find what works.

Latest posts