• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob Help

buzzz it is then. i just need to find myself a good deal. Could anyone explain anything about the real difference between each disc?

I like the Cryztal and the ESP Buzzz, The cryztal will take a while to break, adn teh ESP will break in and then become a good turn over disc.

X Buzzz feels great in the hand. I know you said mids but I'd maybe drop the beast for a while & pick up a pro leopard, cheetah, x xl or cyclone. my girlfriend has a spider I've thrown a few times & it seems to be pretty solid. just my .02

Another vote for a coyote. I began with it and was heartbroken when I lost it. I could throw it as far as my drivers when I started and it finished so straight

star is nice, good grip, pretty good durability. i'm a noob too & would suggest if you want to try a new disc & can't borrow one, get the cheap plastic. if you like it, beat it to death & then look into the higher end stuff. if you don't like it, you're out $8 & not 15. i could've saved a bunch of $ if i'd done this!

alright thanks curveball. I kind of splurged a little bit on the beast when I bought it. I had a dick's gift card and I really didn't mind paying extra.

Having finally tried the Z Comet today I simply cannot recommend it enough. It is the best possible disc for a beginner. You can throw it on a frozen rope for anything between 30 to 300+ feet without the need to hyzerflip it, or you can just place it wherever you want with hyzer or anhyzer. It'll also reveal your OAT problems.

I don't think there's any disc out there that'll finish straighter than most putters on short upshots and still handle a full on (clean) power drive. As a beginner you're going to want a disc that doesn't fade out on you.

Other than that a Buzzz or and MD2 will suffice quite nicely.
Z Comet (or X Comets if you want a disc that won't let you cheat at all) are really, really great for beginners or anybody. If you go with a Roc or Wasp, the Comet complements it perfectly.
valk is way more nose angle sensitive then a river
I agree also. Valks are super nose angle to n00bs IMO.
what is the deal with this nose angle sensitive? Could someone shed some light on this for me?
Nose angle sensitivity has to deal with how much the disc forgives you for throwing them nose up. A putter is not very nose angle sensitive, a distance driver is very nose angle sensitive in comparison.
what do you guys think about star discs? are they worth it
Star is a plastic type (Star Roc, Star Dart, Star Coyote, etc). I like Star but in some molds I prefer Champ (or DX, or Pro). It really depends on the particular mold. Star Eagles are great for example.

OP, I'd pick up 2 mids. You can do a lot of damage with a Z Buzzz and a Lat. 64 Fuse/ESP Meteor. Other mid combos I recommend: Pain & Fuse, Shark & QMS, Roc/Wasp & Comet, the list goes on.

what exactly is the power of having 2 mids? Why paired? (Sorry for the seeming stupid questions)

what exactly is the power of having 2 mids? Why paired? (Sorry for the seeming stupid questions)

No you're good, grasshopper.

What I'm recommending are power and finesse combos. You can get either Roc or Comet for example, but depending on which one you get is going to have a tremendous effect on your player development.

For example: Let's say you get a Roc. It fades hard on you so you develop an anhyzer style to keep it going straight. This will make throwing neutral stable or understable mids difficult later on.

Let's say you get a Comet, the quintessential beginner mid. You learn to shape lines and hyzer flip and develop really clean form but whenever the wind kicks up or you have a tough dogleg left hole, you have to throw with a lot of hyzer to compensate or if you get an overstable mid to deal with this it will seem really overstable.

So in short, I'm just covering all the bases. With an overstable-stable mid and a stable-understable mid, you have a vast majority of shots covered.

The point of having 2 or more types of mids is to make sure all shots are covered. I carry Pain Core Fuse combo. Pain for the overstable slot, Core for the straight and Fuse for anny shots

I hope we can meet up for a round and can answer some more of your questions

Edit: Darn you Bro D for your fast typing

Thanks a ton bro D. But what combo do you think I should go with? I'm thinking z buzz and the lat as you recommended. Also for putters, is the one I have right now sufficient for starting out? Or should I get another one to complement it

Also a beginner, and have found the Vibram Ascent and Star Leopard to be good starter disks for me. I have heard many times, and am finding this true myself, that you should never step up to a distance driver until you are able to throw a fairway correctly (assuming your goal is to improve and not simply to have fun... if the latter is true, stick with what's fun).

I should clarify by saying that I have actually been playing for about three years, got stuck badly, and have discovered that my plateau was primarily due to bad form learned from throwing high speed drivers long before I was ready. I kept getting OAT on the low speed understable stuff, so I just got more stable plastic instead of diagnosing and correcting the cause of the OAT. Throwing Leopards has forced me to work on the technical aspect of my game.

Darts are fine. Putters are putters for the most part. You won't be able to tell what putter you want/need until you actually learn how to putt or learn how you like to putt. Anytime you ask for a putter recommendation every mug behind a keyboard is just gonna give a shout out to his favorite.

The more hardcore you get into DG you might find yourself with a "driving putter" in addition to your actual putter. It's best if you can make one mold suit all your putting needs, maybe using plastic to give you more options, like putting with a DX Dart (for grip) and driving with a Star Dart (for durability) for example.

Everyone always says Leopards for beginners. I see their point, but if you don't mind shelling out the cash for Star plastic, I recommend a Star TL. A buddy of mine recently started playing with a Leopard, Buzzz, and Aviar. He liked the Buzzz and Aviar just fine, but hated the Leopard. I let him throw one of my Star TL's and he loved it. He went out and bought 2 after we played our round. After you figure you form out with the TL, move up to a Valkyrie and you're golden. I just ask that you take it from us and don't be tempted to but a Nuke or an Ape. It may just make you hate the sport.

What's wrong with a Nuke or an Ape? I wasn't really looking at them, but why will it make me hate the sport??

What's wrong with a Nuke or an Ape? I wasn't really looking at them, but why will it make me hate the sport??

They are way too fast for a beginner and 90% of players. They were designed for players who can throw 400'+. For a beginner they will not fly as intended

Alright so Buzzz, leopard, or Star for my next disc. I'll look into them then. But, what is with Teebirds?