• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

draw a straight line from basket to mando object, then a perpendicular from mando object, creating a 90 degree angle. the farthest edge of the object from the basket would be where the perpendicular is drawn. mandos are not required to be made on the first shot assuming you don't miss it. you can throw short of the mando and clear it on the second shot.

which course are you thinking of? we are both from MD, maybe i have played there.

no such thing as 'unwinding' to make a mando. you either throw from the drop zone, or if none is marked, then throw from a line perpendicular to the line from the mando object to the basket. or rethrow from previous lie with a stroke penalty. saving par would require a throw-in at that point.

I know it's not in the rulebook, but tell that to the TD of the last tourney (non PDGA) I played in. There's a certain hole there that's always played that way in tournaments. :doh:

PS

Besides, I wrote this disclaimer for a reason, "depending on the course rules or the rules that you established before playing".

i think changing rules like that is detrimental to less experienced players. either play by the rules or don't use the mando at all. making up your own mando rule is ridiculous.

i think changing rules like that is detrimental to less experienced players. either play by the rules or don't use the mando at all. making up your own mando rule is ridiculous.

That's not a made up rule, it's just an outdated rule. Unwinding used to be how you dealt with mandos. Less experienced players may not know that. The PDGA changed it to drop zones 10 years or so ago. It works for that particular hole though and it's always been played that way. I guess they don't care to change it. I don't see any harm in playing that way in non PDGA tourneys or casual rounds as long as everyone playing knows beforehand.

Anyhow, my main point is that there is such a thing as 'unwinding' to make a mando.

Okay that makes my options...

1) Go back and throw from the tee and see if I can hit the mando (after making my mando my next shot is my third stroke?)

2) Go to the drop point and play from there. (also making my next shot my third)

3) Unwind.... whatever that means.

If you retee, you are throwing 3 from the tee to try to make the mando.

Unwinding means you throw back around the mando the way you came to pass it on the proper side.

All 3 options result in roughly the same score assuming you make the mando on your 3rd shot from the tee.

1) If you re-tee then you also take a penalty throw. There's no real point to do that.
2) Yes, do that.
3) Nevermind this. GLong does have point about confusing newer players. Unwinding simply means you'd have to throw back to the front the mando (pretty much where a drop zone would be) and then throw through it/around it.

Just read this:

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80312-mandatories

Last edited:
If you retee, you are throwing 3 from the tee to try to make the mando.

I thought re-teeing was a one stroke penalty? For example, if I throw a disc OB off tee, aren't I taking my second shot (not third) when I re-tee?

That's not a made up rule, it's just an outdated rule. Unwinding used to be how you dealt with mandos. Less experienced players may not know that. The PDGA changed it to drop zones 10 years or so ago. It works for that particular hole though and it's always been played that way. I guess they don't care to change it. I don't see any harm in playing that way in non PDGA tourneys or casual rounds as long as everyone playing knows beforehand.

Anyhow, my main point is that there is such a thing as 'unwinding' to make a mando.

can you explain how 'it works for that hole'? i'm mildly intrigued. it just seems like a waste of time and a hassle to the player in addition to the penalty incurred. seeing that you have been playing since before the rule change, do you think that the change was for the better?

Okay so this is what I have taken from this...

Hit the mando!!!!! hahaha

THanks for the clarification everyone. I am sure I will think of another before long.

can you explain how 'it works for that hole'? i'm mildly intrigued. it just seems like a waste of time and a hassle to the player in addition to the penalty incurred. seeing that you have been playing since before the rule change, do you think that the change was for the better?

It works because the mando is between 2 trees about 10 feet in front of the basket. It's a 246' throw from the tee. Unless you extremely overpower your throw you would generally just have a quick throw back to get to the mando and then putt for 3. A drop zone would just be a putt and would allow people to run it even harder instead of just trying to get a good placement.

If a mando is closer to the tee (like most are, or least should be), then I think a drop zone is a much better option.

I found a picture of the hole on here.

3d194296.jpg

how often are pdga ratings updated?

Typically every 6-8 weeks. Ratings update days can always be found on the home page of www.pdga.com. When clicking on the "article" (located on the right hand side) it should list the date of the next update, as well as the cut-off date for TDs to submit tournaments in order for them to appear on the next update. Note that I said cut-off for TDs to submit, as opposed to cut-off for tournaments to have taken place. That is a difference everyone who is exciteable about ratings eventually learns.

VERY VERY long thread so forgive me if my questions have already been answered.

Question number 1!
Mini disc markers! Do I really need one for a tourney? Also I know they have rules for how big they have to be so what is the limit? Does it really matter?

#2 In tournaments how are out of bounds and water hazards called? For instance at Paschall my local 18 hole the first 2 holes have these small streams of water, so small you cannot lose or fully submerge a disk....if I landed in that would if be considered OOB? If my disc lands in a busch/tree and I cannot reach it....what would that be? How would I play it?

and numero tres!

I throw a lighting disc #1 high flyer driver, but I cannot find specs for that brands discs anywhere.....any help?

SpookySpence

1. If you're using a different disc for the next throw, you can throw from behind the lieing disc. Only PDGA-sanctioned tourneys have mini requirements. Ask to borrow one---including my stash minis, I have at least 4 in my bag.
2. If any part of your disc is touching the bank, you're not OOB. If its a seasonal creek and there is no water, OOBness may be determined by the TD. 2 meters above the playing surface is considered OOBs.
3. You poor, poor man. Though I did throw a #1 and #4 driver, and a #1 slice and flyer for a few years.

SpookySpence

1. If you're using a different disc for the next throw, you can throw from behind the lieing disc. Only PDGA-sanctioned tourneys have mini requirements. Ask to borrow one---including my stash minis, I have at least 4 in my bag.
2. If any part of your disc is touching the bank, you're not OOB. If its a seasonal creek and there is no water, OOBness may be determined by the TD. 2 meters above the playing surface is considered OOBs.
3. You poor, poor man. Though I did throw a #1 and #4 driver, and a #1 slice and flyer for a few years.

LOL thanks! As for the lightning disk....I like it, although it wears very very very quickly. I just got a 2X champion beast....but I hate it. I am looking to try a avenger SS and a nuke SS, cant find them in stores around here though. You should be friendly and send me a mini marker lol.

otbd wrote, "2 meters above the playing surface is considered OOBs."

This is no longer a rule, unless a tournament director designates it so.

VERY VERY long thread so forgive me if my questions have already been answered.

and numero tres!

I throw a lighting disc #1 high flyer driver, but I cannot find specs for that brands discs anywhere.....any help?

Altitude has made an attempt at giving Innova-type flight ratings to discs, and for the most part they've done a good job...a few errors here and there. Here's their page of Lightning discs, with ratings. You can also view their entire flight chart. http://www.altitudediscgolf.com/servlet/the-Manufacturer-cln-Lightning/Categories

The GGGT site also has a great flight chart...again, a few errors or quirks here and there, but excellent (and most people prefer this one). If I'm looking for info about a disc, I usually look it up on both charts to see if it's rated similarly, and then try to read others' experiences with it on here. http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/index.php?osCsid=8b637fd06b598b978249624566b3c561 (it's a .pdf link, on the right side of the page)