• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

What are some of the longer driving putters? Ion, magnet?

This is all subjective, but the "big name" long putters are the Ion and Wizard. I personally can throw my voodoo just as far as an Ion, but sadly, their praises aren't sung as often.

What are some of the longer driving putters? Ion, magnet?

BB aviars will handle a lot of power too, as will a focus or challenger. Magnets get a little squirrelly under a lot of power, Ions and Wizards seem to be the best for all out putter distance.

The Chicken Wing (AKA Over Hand Wrist Flick) is basically an inverse Fore Hand. Instead of having your finger(s) on the inside of the rim and thumb on top of the flight plate, you have your thumb on the inside of the rim and fingers spread out on top of the flight plate.
Assuming you're right handed:
1.) start in line with your the target with the disc at your side (the flight plate should be facing out)
2.) Take a step towards the target leading with your left foot and swing the disc behind you as if you were going to pitch a baseball. The knuckles on your throwing hand should be facing up.
3.) Push off your right foot and turn into the target.
4.) Swing the disc through and flick your wrist open as you come into the hit. The best way I can describe the hit here is to try to back-hand slap your right shoulder with your right hand.
5.) The release point will be at or slightly above shoulder level. The disc will rip off your thumb.

Start with an Ultrastar or some other catch lid.. It's not a very practical throw for golf but can come in handy. Especially in down hill and escape shot situations. Once you gain a feel for it, the OHWF is one of the few ways I know of to get a standard flight out of a disc with your hand above shoulder level.

I hope this isn't too confusing!

I noticed some people have little symbols under their nmes, like crowns nd such. What do these mean?

just read this whole thread. took me two days...i must say, im either a huge loser, lol, or i really dont have enough to do at work hehehe. they should print this thread out and make pamphlets and mail them to all

^^^reading this thread should be required before joining. That would cut down on repetative threads. Heres my question----Im having trouble with the grip on my roc it slips out way to early ive tried different grips then i griplock the hell out of it. What should i try

^^^reading this thread should be required before joining. That would cut down on repetative threads. Heres my question----Im having trouble with the grip on my roc it slips out way to early ive tried different grips then i griplock the hell out of it. What should i try

try slowing down your throw and loosening your grip. sounds weird but it works.

What does it mean to throw with OAT?

OAT = Off Axis Torque

Throwing with OAT means that you put spin on the disc at an angle that wasn't exactly in line with the trajectory of the flight thereby causing it to become more or less stable depending on which direction the snap was in relation to the flight line.

Im having trouble with the grip on my roc it slips out way to early ive tried different grips then i griplock the hell out of it. What should i try

A buzzz if you have not already.

The Roc vs Buzzz is right up there with the Innova vs Discraft. Really nothing more than a preference with different supporting reasons.

Just my .02

OAT = Off Axis Torque

Throwing with OAT means that you put spin on the disc at an angle that wasn't exactly in line with the trajectory of the flight thereby causing it to become more or less stable depending on which direction the snap was in relation to the flight line.

I thought OAT always made the disc act less stable.

From the disc physics thread: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14825&hilit=disc+physics

Off-axis torque, OAT, is induced when the disc has a component of spin about an axis that isn't exactly parallel to its axis of symmetry. This causes the disc to wobble, and creates a pocket of turbulent air around the edge of the disc that tends to cling to it instead of flowing smoothly past the disc. This causes the effective cross-sectional area of the disc to increase.

as mentioned previously, off-axis torque causes the disc to wobble, and creates a pocket of turbulent air around the edge of the disc that tends to cling to it instead of flowing smoothly past the disc. This interferes with the flow of air around the disc in a way that pushes the center of pressure back and therefore increases the turn.