• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

what are a few different understable drivers? looking to find a good turning disc.

Anhyzer is an angle of release, not a flight characteristic. That said, these are all pretty understable:

Leopard
Sidewinder
Roadrunner
Avenger SS
Beast
Vision
Valkyrie
Viking

what are a few different understable drivers? looking to find a good anhyzer disc.

a good anhyzer disc is actually one that is high speed neutral (turn of '0'). This way, when you release the disc it will hold whatever angle you put it on for a longer period of time before flattening out.

from what bcr listed, I would recommend these (in either pro or star plastic):

Leopard
Sidewinder
Roadrunner
Avenger SS
Vision

The Beast, Valkyrie, and Viking can become good turnover discs once they get broken in, but unless you have a lot of power they will not be good out of the box.

Slow stable discraft discs work well and don't go too far.

Drone ( most chance of blow by's)
Zone
Wasp
and throw the Innova Rhyno in

Pretty much in that order from most to least stable ( of course with exceptions; plastic, wear, form, ect)

If you are looking for just pure distance in a open field what shot do you use? is it a hyzer flip, big hyzer, big anhyzer or other.

What are a few discs that could hold a good hyzer line?

Recently I have been throwing Rivers for all my long hyzer lines. As long as I have good form on the throw and don't try and muscle it over it keeps the line and goes much better than my stable and overstable disc. Just have to make sure you don't OAT the understable stuff.

Like Feldberg/Ken Climo said in their video over stable drivers are always trying to go down towards the ground so if you can throw something more on the under-stable side for hyzers you will get much better glide and distance from the disc. The Firebirds and what not still have there place though.

If you are looking for just pure distance in a open field what shot do you use? is it a hyzer flip, big hyzer, big anhyzer or other.

I would say a good hyzer flip will give you the most consistent long distance results. A big anny would also work it just isn't what I prefer.

Last edited:
Can only get one disc? Well, that would be the most used disc in the game, a putter. So, I'd get a good all-around putter like a Wizard, Aviar, Challenger, Magnet, Magic, Reef/APX, Voodoo, Ridge, Ion, Summit, VP, etc. But all those are best in baseline plastic and beginners hit lots and lots of trees so premium plastic would be better. I don't like the overstability and lack of glide of a VP or even a Ridge so my answer is:

Ion or Summit.

Loan disc? I usually toss a Polecat at beginners but I wish I had a Z Comet solely for this reason.

I would say a good hyzer flip will give you the most consistent long distance results. A big anny would also work it just isn't what I prefer.

See, I kind of disagree, I think a big flex shot will give you the most consistent results but really I think it all just boils down to whatever is your most OATless and nose down throw.

If a beginner can only get one disc, what would you recommend?

Do you have a disc that you loan to beginners? If so, what is it?

I would get them a comet in X plastic. It throws a lot like a regular frisbee (this is not to day it doesn't go far) and goes straight at almost any distance you throw it. It also does hyzers and anhyzers/turnovers well. They can even putt with it, although I would recommend a regular putter instead.

The comet is not just a beginners disc though. It is useful to players of all skill level

What are a few discs that could hold a good hyzer line?

what distance are we talking about here? Discs with 0 high speed turn are best because they will hold the hyzer the longest. The overstable stuff that someone else mentioned is not really a good choice, especially the drone and zone. They will start fading much sooner and don't work as well for holding a hyzer. Discs like that are better at being thrown flat and doing the work for you.

for beginners that have some experience with an Ultimate disc, I give them a Birdie. If they don't have any experience, a 150 midrange. The Ultimate folks can throw the crap out of lid-style putters, and the light mids give less experienced throwers a little more distance than they would get from anything else.

Last edited:
I assumed he was flipping stuff up to flat. I had more trouble teaching hyzers to a noob last weekend with under stable discs. More stable was working better.

It definitely depends on what hold means ( hold without flipping to straight, or as you assumed hold straight with less hyzer) and how said player is throwing. I try to start noobs from the start to let the discs do some work and not worry about being able to throw every shot immediately.

I usually see more people make mistakes when throwing hyzers by throwing deep and or flattening them. Your right; I can easily see a noob not being able to keep his hyzers wide enough too. Then it would be about discing down and following through smooth.

disc lands on bridge

what if your disc lands on top of and in the middle of a bridge that is spanning a creek that is in play? is it a stroke penalty because even though the disc is dry on the bridge, it IS within the boundary of the creek, or is it lucky you and no stroke?

To be frank it's OB like any other path would be.

That's not correct, unless the course rules or TD declares that specific bridge or path as OB. In most cases, I believe that it would be in bounds.

Here's a PDGA FAQ page that answers this exact question.

http://www.pdga.com/faq/rules-questions-answers/bridge-over-ob-multiple-playing-surfaces-and-verticality

"Conclusion: You play a disc on a bridge as you would play it anywhere else on the course. Assuming the bridge is not OB, you mark your lie on the bridge and proceed with the hole."

I asked this because I have a friend that I've played with a few times. I have a few discs but he doesn't have any. I don't think he wants to spend much on discs at this point so I wanted to know what one disc I could recommend to him. I was also thinking about getting an extra disc or two so I had more when we share. I played a round with him today and he's thinking about getting a mid-range and a putter now. I'd still love to hear some suggestions on what I should recommend.

(We're both newbs btw)

A buzz is another good do all disc in lieu of a driver and can be cranked on a bit more than a comet ( for better or worse). A buzz is also a classic forehand disc so that adds to it's versitility a bit. Both a comet and buzz are good choices.