• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Well what's the difference between a soft putter and a hard one?

I use both a medium and an SSS wizard for putting. I like to use the SSS for outside of 30' because if I hit anywhere on the basket with the medium, it seems to take out large chunks of the disc while the SSS gets just little scratches. I am not sure if this is the same with other companies, but I would think it is.

Also, the really floppy discs are nice to spike hyzer with because when they hit the ground, they soften the impact and seem to roll away less often.

Is innova's plastics dx, champ, star, and blizzard champ? Which one is referred to as "pro"

no johnny its closer to dx. opaque no see thru on the current pro. in order of stability high to low.

dx,pro,star,champ hope this helps

Yes it does! And I also thought star was the best innova plastic. Thanks for clearing that up!

Not a total noob here, but I have a rather noobie question. Also, I apologize if this has been asked already in this thread but I didn't feel like reading 298 pages...

Is the champion version of a certain disc really that much more stable than say the DX version of the same mold? I'm asking because I have a 150g DX Leopard that is getting beat up, and I've considered adding a 150g champ Leopard to my bag. I can get the DX Leopard out a bit past 300 on a good day, but I've found it's not great in the wind and I'd like something a little less flippy. Would the champ version at least be comparable to the DX one? Would it be more like a 175-180g DX Leopard? Thanks.

^^^ It's more that the Champ/Star plastic is more durable, and therefore will retain its stability longer. If you don't play many wooded courses though DX shouldn't get beat in to the point of being really flippy for a while. Someone else might be able to elaborate.

I guess another way to phrase what I'm asking is, are there any discs in star or champ plastic that come in light weights that would resemble a DX Leopard but is slightly more stable? I had DX Cheetah that I liked but lost recently, and I'd like to replace it with something a bit more durable (and I won't throw it on water holes anymore :p).

The champ and star Leos will definitely be more stable...durability is different, of course, but the premium plastics shot into molds that were designed around base plastic tend to fill it differently and thus change the flight qualities a little (the plastic density also affects this, as does a mold that is worn with use). A new champ Leo will be vastly different from your worn dx. They tend to fly very straight and are much more difficult to get to turn without a lot of power or some anny. Champ takes forever to beat in, too, and it won't quite get you to the point of a worn dx. Star plastic would be a better choice there...still going to start out pretty stable like the champ, but it'll break in faster/easier. Good rule of thumb when stepping up to a premium plastic from a base plastic mold (which is unfortunately not absolutely accurate, due to run variations in the discs, but a good consideration anyway) is to drop down in weight 5-8 grams or more....or choose a mold with similar flight ratings but a notch lower in speed.

If you aren't stuck on Innova, there are several great premium plastic discs from other companies that would probably fit the slot you're looking for. Some info on the distances you're getting with current discs, the distances you want to get with the new disc, and flight pattern you want to see will help pick the best fit. Harder to get some of them in those ultralight weights, but some are available, or if you aren't totally opposed to the normal heavier weights, you can still get what you're after, one way or another. If you can find a really light champ Leo, it may give you what want, but there are tons of options.

A slightly more stable premium leo really sounds like a River to me. Worth looking into at least.

This is a 2 part question.
Question the 1st: What are the flight ratings for an ESP Avenger.
I know its overstable but what is the speed, glide, turn, and fade for this disc.

Question #2: Without going into a big long story, I'm also curious about the following midranges from Lat 64. What are these 3 midranges comparable to in Discraft. Pain Core and Fuse.

I currently use a Elite Z Wasp for my OS midrange shots, my ESP Buzzz for my stable shots and my ESP Meteor for my understable midrange shots.

I'm really thinking about trying these 3 midranges, but don't know if Im willing to replace the Buzz and the Wasp. The meteor and I have a love/hate relationship. Love it when I can get it to do what I want. 3/4 of the time I can't stand it tho.
Thanks for the info

How long have they been doing the "DGA Dream Course Giveaway"?
What do people do with the baskets?

not sure for how long, but people do whatever they want with the baskets.

a MD guy won a few years ago and donated his 9 to patapsco valley state park. other players raised the money for 9 more and now the course has a permanent set in the C pins. made a great course even better and now you can play the 'green monster' 365 days a year. thanks shawn (and dga)!

Latest posts