• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

The point of the rule regarding a directional aide was to cover the case of putting something in front of the lie to aid in knowing where to throw. For example on a blind up hill shot. A second mini doesn't really fall into that category.

Though putting a second mini down is not going to help. If you are looking at the ground you aren't looking at the basket.

When I putt I generally find a spot on the ground and practice passing directly over that spot on my way to the basket during my practice putts. Even though I'm looking at the basket I find it helps me line up my shot by re-inforcing the vertical plain between the center of my body and the basket's pole. Just a trick I use. A mini would stand out better in my peripheral than a patch of sun/shadow or blade of grass.

I need to read slower, I thought you were putting a second mini behind your first one. Putting it in front of your lie is a no-no (as already pointed out).

801.03 A: During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces). Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

I have a mini that has an arrow printed on it. I always point it to towards the basket before taking my shot. I joke that it is to show me the way to the basket. Is that mini legal? BTW it was part of a players pack at a tourney a couple of years ago.

Rick G

How are you guys putting where you need help lining up with a basket. Point your toe or whatever at the basket and call it a day.

I have a mini that has an arrow printed on it. I always point it to towards the basket before taking my shot. I joke that it is to show me the way to the basket. Is that mini legal? BTW it was part of a players pack at a tourney a couple of years ago.

Rick G

Yes, that's prefectly legal. You just can't at any point advance on the fairway to place on object to give you a frame of reference.

The application of the rule is primarily for blind shots where maybe you want to set your bag or something on the ground to give you a reference point to aim for. The reason it's illegal is you're actually modifying the course ahead of your lie.

A mini with an arrow does not violate that rule and certainly gives you no extra advantage.

What is an X Out disc that some retailers sell on discounts? Are these the same as miss prints?
Not technically the same. Misprints are generally just that, discs with a bad stamp job. X-outs have something more physically wrong with them that excludes it from meeting the manufacturer's standards. Flecks of whatever on the plastic, misshapen rims, dents, bubbles and whatnot from the plastic not molding up properly. They're generally extremely minor and rarely affect flight and if you're not OCD they are a nice option for cheaper discs.

Okay I'm having difficulty making longer putts. It seems like it just floats rather than snaps. I can make the 35' consistently but once it's out of that range i can't seem to get it in the basket. When I putt it goes straight but slow and hyzers out bad..kinda like it was throwin like a roller for some reason. My uncle told me to come down by my hip with it sideways and then come up and straighten it as I putt it..

Okay I'm having difficulty making longer putts. It seems like it just floats rather than snaps. I can make the 35' consistently but once it's out of that range i can't seem to get it in the basket. When I putt it goes straight but slow and hyzers out bad..kinda like it was throwin like a roller for some reason. My uncle told me to come down by my hip with it sideways and then come up and straighten it as I putt it..

Once you get that far away you have to put some spin on the disc. Also a little more nose down than your close putts.

If I want to throw an anhyzer that will curve in a nice ark do I want a stable disc? Overstable?

I played from the back tees in my second round today I had a shot where I threw my Legacy Patriot a little anhyzer but at the end it straightend out on me. RHFH. It was too far to throw RHBH for me.

Would the Rival been a better choice or was it my throw that did that. Wind was tricky all day coming from all sorts of directions.

after my drive and my disc is on the fairway on my second throw can i take a few steps back to gain a running throw as long as i dont go past the marked spot?

after my drive and my disc is on the fairway on my second throw can i take a few steps back to gain a running throw as long as i dont go past the marked spot?

Outside of 10m from the basket, when you release the disc you must have a supporting point behind the disc and no supporting point closer to the target. That means a run up and follow through on a fairway drive is perfectly fine as long as your plant foot hits the line of play within 30cm of your disc or mini.

i have a million of these lol....one is if there is a designated tee pad can you go off of it in the front on your follow through? like a foot fault in bowling?

^only after the disc has released from your hands. The tee is basically your lie "marked spot" and crossing over your lie before releasing the disc would be a foot fault no matter where/what shot you are throwing.

If I want to throw an anhyzer that will curve in a nice ark do I want a stable disc? Overstable?

I played from the back tees in my second round today I had a shot where I threw my Legacy Patriot a little anhyzer but at the end it straightend out on me. RHFH. It was too far to throw RHBH for me.

Would the Rival been a better choice or was it my throw that did that. Wind was tricky all day coming from all sorts of directions.

I'm not very familiar with Legacy discs but I'll try and help you out. There are some advantages to throwing a stable or overstable disc on an anhyzer as opposed to a more conventional understable disc. Generally, the left to right action (for RHBH) is much less pronounced and gradual, so for those holes that gradually track to the right it can be the right line. I'm talking about a fairway shaped more like '(' as opposed to 'C' (think of the classic RHBH turnover hole). The length of the bend/hole is going to determine how overstable you want that disc b/c you need a disc that doesn't fight out of the anny before you want it to (or at all). Other variables would be height (if a disc is fading back too soon, try throwing lower to reduce the amount of time it has to fade back), the degree of anhyzer needed, and the power needed to hold that line.

A really nifty line that involves throwing an overstable disc anny is for short 'S' shaped fairways (RHFH or backwards 'S' for RHBH). Basically you throw a really short flex shot/helix/S-curve. These are great for landing a driver flatter and more predictably near the basket by reducing the tendency of the driver to skip and flare wildly.

Turning a disc typically means that it is thrown with enough power to get it to turn opposite of the natural fade. This would turn right for rhbh.

Hyzer flip is to release the disc on a hyzer line, but to use an understable disc so that it flips up, or even turns over a bit. This gives you a long straight flight path as you are utilizing the full flight band of the disc rather than watching some nuke fly left and meat hook.
Clear?

Latest posts