• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Norcal hard to play Seasonal courses??? July 2020

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I think Im going to roadtrip up to Norcal from Socal and play a bunch of seasonal courses this weekend. Anyone play any of these courses and do you have and recommendations:

Mt. Shasta Douglas Butte
Mt Shasta Marmot Ridge
Skyline DGC
Diamond View Disc Golf Course
Pioneer DGC
Stampede Reservoir
Donner Ski Ranch
Pine Nuts (if I have Time)

wow, no responses. I wish I could give in-sight on more of these but I don't know anything about any but Skyline.

Skyline is my favorite course I rarely play. As a fun and challenging course I think it is better than Golden Gate or Stafford Lake and most locals would look at me like i'm an idiot for that. It may be more fun to play regularly than a one time through though.
Every hole has a left, right, short and Long position, with a few like most courses staying either short or long for most of the time except a tournament. It really requires a great variety of shots. It also as many courses in this area not good shots can be punished with roll-aways, deep brush and or poison oak.
It is a very difficult course to play blind the first time, and I don't know at all how busy it is right now. Usually weekends you could meet and play with friendly people but middle of the week has been normally difficult. A handful of blind holes might be worth skipping solo 1st time, you will know them when you get to them. 6 and 14 are probably the most likely to lose a disc on the course.

I love the course, and as I said I don't play there near enough, Napa is a bit of a pain to get to sometimes. Its a great course but finding a partner/group helps there.

I have played Skyline as well. Very hilly course with rollaways greens abound. Worth the trip, IMO. Seems like I remember there being a pretty long walk from the parking lot to the first tee.

So I played 8 courses this weekend. 6 were new to me. Heat was brutal all weekend everywhere. Mt Shasta courses were closed which was a hard bummer. Mountain bike races up there all weekend. So for new courses I play Skyline and Diamond View DGC in Susanville, Ca and then went to Pioneer Park in Quincy, Ca. I did play enterprise community park in redding, ca Saturday morning for my son to really enjoy and finished the day at The Brewing Lair in Blairsden, ca. I had previously played those two courses. On Sunday I just played three courses, Carson Ridge Stadium and pony express courses. I then Hit Millpond County Park in Bishop on the way back. I didn't have enough time to play anything else do to time and working on Monday morning.

I am going to try one more time to go to Norcal in the next two month to try and play those Mount Shasta Courses and maybe Salmon River one day and maybe a few courses around Sacramento on sunday before heading back. Id like to get Stampede, Donner, and Shady Rest Pines this year but I really don't know if that's possible because of time and distance required to travel up that way.

How was Carson Ridge in July? Only played it once so far (was awesome) but hesitant to go back before it seriously cools off again.

Played Shady Rest last weekend. Aweomse course, reminded me of Bijou tyoe shots, fully playable, but still in the works for short tees and long baskets. 1 tee and 1 basket position for every hole atm.

Planning on playing donner and stampede in the next two weeks if anyone has any tips.

Latest posts