• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not a Short Putt, but Not a Long Putt...

For me I just look at the area around the basket. Is it grassy, wet/muddy from rain, etc....If I am almost sure it would sit right around it, I go for it. If its something like downhill shots, I tend to lay up.

The weather also is a factor if there is lots of wind. Putting around 8' watching the wind just take the disc then missing the next shot will drive me crazy.

What do you do when you're at that distance where you know your push-putt will fall 10' short, but you know your spin-putt will burn way past the basket?

The answer to this depends on how you feel about your range with a push putt. I'm fairly comfortable with my normal putt, and not falling/stepping/jumping, out to 40-45'. Outside of that, I'll jump putt. Outside of my jump putt range, I'll spin putt for both laying up or trying to run the basket. Out closer to 100', I'll throw a nice and easy normal upshot.

Once I get to where I can't use my normal putt (about 40'), I start to throw higher with some anny, and let the putter pull itself out of it. That way I can put some extra power into the throw to get it there, and the disc will help bleed some of it off with it's fade.

Once I get to about 100', I just use a regular fan grip with some nose up. I'm not a very exciting putter.

I'll use the same core putting motion out to 75' or so. The longer the putt, the more I'm pushing off with my legs and the harder I'm popping it off my fingers. Also adding a little hyzer and aiming high/right. Beyond 75' or so, I'll throw a nose up lid-style stall shot. Or maybe just jump putt as a layup, if it's a tricky green or an elevated basket.

spin putt softer. or curl the wrist to add some spin to the push putt.

Holy necrobump. For me:

0 - 35' push putt
35-45' falling putt
45-65' jump putt
> 65' throw-in attempt or layup.

Give or take a few feet . . .

Getting more power behind my push-putt is exactly what I need to do.

How exactly does one go about doing that?

All about the legs man. Once I figured out how pushing into the ground transfers to more putting power, I can shovel putt out to almost 50' now. It's all about feeling how the spring from your legs transfers to the disc. I wish I could describe it better.

Speaking from ignorance (I don't really know whether you'd call me a spin putter or a push putter), here's my mostly worthless advice. If you can't get it there with your regular push putt, turn your hips a bit more, reach back a little farther (in your hip pocket rather than your sternum), aim a little higher and to the right, and give your layup a chance to go in. In both golf and disc golf, I prefer to "die it in the hole." I figure throwing it harder than I need to won't do me any good.

Yes... just going to write this only more simply... I twist my body more by loading my hips with a footing change.

But now I feel the need to do better and elaborate

Short putts my feet line up towards the basket, lead foot pointing, back foot at 90.
Awkward range, my lead foot goes forward and I'm at a 45 to the basket, it gives my a longer reachback under my armpit area

Holy necrobump.

And yet, if we could have restrained for just 7.5 more months, we could have made it a full ten years. I'm just a tad disappointed.

For me, same motion up to around 50 feet but depends on other circumstances (e.g. wind, elevated basket, water or drop-off near by, back stop or no). My putting is continuing to get better, and I've been making more and more long ones in competitive situations... Nevertheless, if I'm not feeling it, I'm always happy to lay things up from 50 feet, even longer sometimes. I'm working on that 20 foot confidence, but I have a really high percentage from 8' and in.

Yeah, it's sad to see a potential 10 year bump get wasted.

Anyhoo, if the OP is still alive, I'd throw a glideless turd in that range where you're having trouble blowing past the basket.

Yes... just going to write this only more simply... I twist my body more by loading my hips with a footing change.

But now I feel the need to do better and elaborate

Short putts my feet line up towards the basket, lead foot pointing, back foot at 90.
Awkward range, my lead foot goes forward and I'm at a 45 to the basket, it gives my a longer reachback under my armpit area

I agree, I tend to simply adjust my back foot and hips to allow for a further reach back, but for me I think this happens closer to the 35 ft. range.

What do you do when you're at that distance where you know your push-putt will fall 10' short, but you know your spin-putt will burn way past the basket?

I am going to fall 10 feet short Then I am using a pushing spin putt with less power, as I still go with some push elements to my spin as I add more spin to my push putt past the 20 foot slot where the push only putt is at my max. I do not go for a full spin putt unless past 27 feet or wind near 18 mph up to ~25 mph +/- 2 mph is affecting the putt. With wind steady at 28 mph or gusts of 35 mph or more I use either my Pro or Star Shark both at 175 grams. Both Shark discs are used depending on wind and shot shape for approach from about 35 feet to about 70-75 feet and the Star Shark is also my driving putter slot. I have 2 Shark 3 Champion for my true midrange shot and both discs are different as a Shark as a putter like float to the glide and the Shark 3 has a glide like a midrange.

I am going to fall 10 feet short Then I am using a pushing spin putt with less power, as I still go with some push elements to my spin as I add more spin to my push putt past the 20 foot slot where the push only putt is at my max. I do not go for a full spin putt unless past 27 feet or wind near 18 mph up to ~25 mph +/- 2 mph is affecting the putt. With wind steady at 28 mph or gusts of 35 mph or more I use either my Pro or Star Shark both at 175 grams. Both Shark discs are used depending on wind and shot shape for approach from about 35 feet to about 70-75 feet and the Star Shark is also my driving putter slot. I have 2 Shark 3 Champion for my true midrange shot and both discs are different as a Shark as a putter like float to the glide and the Shark 3 has a glide like a midrange.

Of course with some of the numbers like wind I am not that accurate as I am playing on a course with no way to check the actual numbers but if the slow putter I use is getting pushed around by wind then I switch if need be on non heavily wooded holes.

I have come to find out that putting comes to two things, timing and follow through. Think of your body as a slingshot for the disc. You don't need a lot of arm movement, timing the launch of the disc from your hand with your weight shift is what will get the disc going the right speed, the follow through is what will help it make sure its aimed at the right point on the basket. Try to use more of your legs in your putt, not necessarily bend lower, but feel the tension in your legs so the you can feel your self spring the disc forward from your hand. That timing gives you the pop you need, which gives you the spin you need without relying on a full spin putt or worrying about falling short with a pure push putt. IMO learning to be a hybrid putter is what helped my be a lot more consistent on my putting and helped me narrow it down to what i just stated which keeps my routine simple when putting, focus on the center of the pole, put the weight into my legs, and follow through at the center of the pole. Really it just comes to down to experimenting what works and what doesn't. Changing my grip helped as well. I use a modified fan grip with my pinky on the inside rim. Took some time to get used to but works like a charm for me personally now

Pratice your spin putts and stop going past the basket.

Or have a hybrid spin push to make this shot and so you do not need spin putt if you do push putting as you main putting, how I got better at putting after I switched up my putt in 2014 as I had a 0% spin basketball spin putt at the time. I have though done a spin putt when I need to wind is up but not past the point my approach midrange is used to make shots using a push putt until winds make it so I have to use a spin putt.