• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not even a cubby ace, but it was awesome

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
As many of you know, I teach disc golf at a summer school for kids with mild disabilities in DC. I made a temporary 5 hole course for the kids.
On hole 3 a boy with Cerebral Palsy whispers to me asking me to throw his drive for him.
Hole 3 is a 125ft tight tunnel shot with a single branch cutting through the most obvious flight path. I took the boys disc, then said, "look at the deer!"
Everyone looked into the woods and I threw the boy's disc. It was going way right, then it hit a tree took a 90 degree turn and landed right into the basket for the ace.
The little boy yelled, "I can't believe I threw that, I got a hole in one!"
It was pretty awesome!
Obviously I am not going to be adding it to my ace count, but it was worth sharing :)

you my friend, have just received +11 disc karma. You'll birdie a hole you've only ever gotten par on, you'll throw a bad shot that magically lands back in the middle of the fairway, probably find a disc or two.

Good things will come your way because of the way that little boy got to feel like he was the MAN.

\/\/

That my friend is awesome!

There is a 4th grader who is quite obese. (probably over 200lbs)
I told him I would buy him lunch if he could last 5 minutes in a game of horse with me (using putters and trick some trick shots). It came down to 4:59 He has H-O-R-S and it was my shot. I missed a 20 foot putt as the time ran out, so he won.
That afternoon I announced his name over the intercom that he won a game of disc golf against the teacher to be the only kid in the school to win a free lunch. (The 6th graders who lost to me were jealous). He now LOVES disc golf and plays it during recess every day.

As many of you know, I teach disc golf at a summer school for kids with mild disabilities in DC. I made a temporary 5 hole course for the kids.
On hole 3 a boy with Cerebral Palsy whispers to me asking me to throw his drive for him.
Hole 3 is a 125ft tight tunnel shot with a single branch cutting through the most obvious flight path. I took the boys disc, then said, "look at the deer!"
Everyone looked into the woods and I threw the boy's disc. It was going way right, then it hit a tree took a 90 degree turn and landed right into the basket for the ace.
It was pretty awesome!
Obviously I am not going to be adding it to my ace count, but it was worth sharing :)

That is a great story... Gratz Man..

A few questions:

Who got to write 1 on the scoreboard?
Did you sign the disc?
Did you retire the disc?
Was the tree OK?

clever little bastard

I would rather have a CP sufferer drive for me than have prerube do it. :p

Good works, man; if it was on video, it'd probably make me cry. I'll but you a beer a the Meet (if not sooner).

A few questions:

Who got to write 1 on the scoreboard?
Did you sign the disc?
Did you retire the disc?
Was the tree OK?

My students have trouble keeping score, so we only keep score hole to hole.
No one signed the disc, it was used again the next period

There is a 4th grader who is quite obese. (probably over 200lbs)
I told him I would buy him lunch if he could last 5 minutes in a game of horse with me (using putters and trick some trick shots). It came down to 4:59 He has H-O-R-S and it was my shot. I missed a 20 foot putt as the time ran out, so he won.
That afternoon I announced his name over the intercom that he won a game of disc golf against the teacher to be the only kid in the school to win a free lunch. (The 6th graders who lost to me were jealous). He now LOVES disc golf and plays it during recess every day.

The fact he plays at recess and might be a little addict is the coolest thing to me, but making him feel like the man was also cool. I was the fat kid of my class, well 1 of them. I played football and was actually athletic, but all fat kids catch hell sometimes. Self confidence is hard to come by when you are used to thinking like a fat person, so you def made his month.:hfive:

The fact he plays at recess and might be a little addict is coolest thing to me, but making him feel like the man was also cool. I was the fat kid of my class, well 1 of them. I played football and was actually athletic, but all fat kids catch hell sometimes. Self confidence is hard to come by when you are used to thinking like a fat person, so you def made his month.:hfive:

He gets picked on a lot. He is one of the only white kids in the school, he is very obese, has social issues and a speech impediment, but when he comes to my class, He is "the man". Too bad I only have him for one more week.

wow...that is really cool....not everyday that you read a post on DGCR and it brings a tear to your eye.......keep up the good work

Latest posts