• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad single hole Design.

Didn't take any photos from the ground. Hole 17 was decently fun on an empty course and campus. Otherwise...

TPrwYu0_d.jpg

That was when I played it, on a Saturday morning with hardly anyone around.
#17 pretty much uses a main sidewalk as the fairway, with classroom buildings on the other side. Would definitely be a "no throw" hole if that sidewalk was busy.

This should be called the U-turn course, play one hole, make a U-turn and play the next hole. I think that is the layout on 16 of the 18 holes. :confused:

I think if any course puts human beings into the playing field then just tee off and do your best. If it looks like you might maim or seriously injure some just yell fore (four?) and you're good to go.

Not a decent course by any means, believe I rated as "passable", but I wasn't quite as offended by my lap as you were. Hopefully you didn't go out of your way for that pelt...

I was pretty annoyed since I traveled from Virginia to Montana (for work) and that was the only course I was able to play.

I think it should be removed because it's dangerous. I went there in the summer, and I can't imagine how you'd play it in the school year without hurting someone. If they wanted somewhere for putting practice, then name it that.

I was pretty annoyed since I traveled from Virginia to Montana (for work) and that was the only course I was able to play.

I think it should be removed because it's dangerous. I went there in the summer, and I can't imagine how you'd play it in the school year without hurting someone. If they wanted somewhere for putting practice, then name it that.

Interesting. I found no danger(mid-July) and pulling the course because it plays through a campus that may be busy at times never crossed my mind. Obvious issues exist as any part(or all of) the course could certainly be unplayable from students or other activities. I guess I've just seen waaaaaaay worse in my travels and as for college courses I've played, this situation is more the rule than the exception.

In the end(as somebody mentioned earlier in the thread) when presented w a conflict, it's the golfers responsibility to know their skills and abilities and make a smart decision. When I consider playing a campus course, I think summer, weekend, or not at all unless I see it has golf specific space.

But this is what's great about this site, we get to offer up our experiences, opinions, etc to help other golfers make informed decisions before heading to a course. The reviews here are truly valuable(unlike 99% of UDisc)even if, like this course, reviewers don't agree on every point. The info is out there for others to read and take as they may.

I hope you get back to MT someday and enjoy one of our good courses though. UM Western certainly is in my bottom 6-7 courses in the state(we've got some serious garbage unlike you lucky folk in NC) and after looking at other reviews I've done I'm going to knock it down to a "Poor" rating.

Okay there was a old sign course in my town that was so easy even with a Wham-O catch Frisbee it was easy, basically I think when it was made in 1995, the thought was people will play with those promotional crappy discs that are in the fastback style and break when they hit something harder then a person. No even then with Promotional crappy disc it was easy if the wind was not up for the lightweight discs but the worst part was some of the holes were right next to the playground so even with a regular good catch disc like a Wham-O, Innova, or Discraft catch disc you could still hurt people. I know I did the one time hitting a kid with a Wham-O Pro Jr had a kid get hit by it when playing the course. Fortunately the course in Steamboat park, one I dub Steamboat Disc Golf Course was made in 2007 and in 2008 was fully finished minus the tee pads that went in after the 2011 Missouri River flood in 2013 when the park soil was dry enough to work with. Only reason I was using the Wham-O Pro Jr was to make the sign course harder.

This is hole 10 at Bloomsburg Town Park. It plays over a street, not a limited access park road, a street in the town. I haven't ever been here without seeing multiple vehicles. This street is regularly used. The person or persons who approved it deserve criminal charges.

Link to google maps so you can see the size of the town and the roads position just outside of dense residential area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bloomsburg+Town+Park/@40.9938175,-76.4448909,108m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6244d7708aa8b60a!8m2!3d40.9914526!4d-76.4483622

Attachments

• bloomHole10c60b3cf4.jpg
    bloomHole10c60b3cf4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 41
This is hole 10 at Bloomsburg Town Park. It plays over a street, not a limited access park road, a street in the town. I haven't ever been here without seeing multiple vehicles. This street is regularly used. The person or persons who approved it deserve criminal charges.

Link to google maps so you can see the size of the town and the roads position just outside of dense residential area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bloomsburg+Town+Park/@40.9938175,-76.4448909,108m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6244d7708aa8b60a!8m2!3d40.9914526!4d-76.4483622

Yep that was how the old hole 3 was at Powerhouse Ally course in Ohae Downstream state park, except the road was in a park so the people should have been going slower but they did not more often then not they went 40 mph in a place that was 25-30 mph. Only the people who were coming from a camp site seems they would be going slower as would the people who were not born in South Dakota. I and family did not know of disc golf when the course was finally put in, in 2002 or we would have tried to convince the park to not make the hole the way it was for the first 3-4 years. In 2001 when the course was first made, they used 4x4 for the target/baskets until the baskets were ordered in 2002 and installed as that was when I first saw them though there was 0 people using the baskets in 2002.

Last edited:

i guess you never really know until you see it in person but i'm tempted to defend that hole. it looks like there isn't enough room on the other side of the road for a tee due to the downhill drop. it also looks like a pretty fun hole... downhill under a low ceiling is always a tough shot and then you have to control that distance so you don't go deep in the water.

like brentjacobs said above, it's always the golfer's responsibility to make sure it is safe to proceed. for a park on the edge of town (pop. 14k) next to the river (so, less through-traffic), i think this hole is not unreasonable.

Strawberry Fields in Marysville, WA had a hole that had the tee throwing out of the woods into an open field. The basket was parallel with the tee through about 90' of impassable brush. So you threw out into the field, threw back, and putted. Worst hole on the worst course I ever played.

Strawberry Fields in Marysville, WA had a hole that had the tee throwing out of the woods into an open field. The basket was parallel with the tee through about 90' of impassable brush. So you threw out into the field, threw back, and putted. Worst hole on the worst course I ever played.

Strawberry Fields

Gotta say, don't think I've ever seen so many 0 ratings from trusted reviewers. Pretty amazing.

Hole 2(?) comes to mind at Penn State's New Kensington campus.

You start next to a soccer field (which the previous hole throws over lol), and throw over a wall, dumpster, and a parking lot, and THEN dogleg right onto a 40x40 square of grass in the corner of the gymnasium building where the basket is located. What. The. Hell.

Plus every teesign (there were no tees) was 5 feet from the last basket. It's really sad to cause the rest of the course was quite good.

Hole 2(?) comes to mind at Penn State's New Kensington campus.

You start next to a soccer field (which the previous hole throws over lol), and throw over a wall, dumpster, and a parking lot, and THEN dogleg right onto a 40x40 square of grass in the corner of the gymnasium building where the basket is located. What. The. Hell.

Plus every teesign (there were no tees) was 5 feet from the last basket. It's really sad to cause the rest of the course was quite good.

Yea, and it looks like they did a fine job to have #9 finish as far away from #1 as possible! :doh:

not single bad hole design but overall course design

whats the common beliefs of why a course sucks if there was already beaten path made hiking/walking trails and baskets and teepads were placed on the trail

it makes sense to take the easy way and use preexisting trails

the course was just terrible tho nothing new was cut or carved out for dg

it also does have pics on here so no point in linking it

not single bad hole design but overall course design

whats the common beliefs of why a course sucks if there was already beaten path made hiking/walking trails and baskets and teepads were placed on the trail

it makes sense to take the easy way and use preexisting trails

the course was just terrible tho nothing new was cut or carved out for dg

it also does have pics on here so no point in linking it

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Hole 9 at Texas Wesleyan University 9 (now extinct) in Fort Worth had a 6-foot fence between the tee pad and the sign. The distance between the pad and sign was less than 2 feet, so basically you are throwing over a 6-foot high fence at the end of your tee pad. The rest of the course wasn't much better, with buildings and cars always in the way. And that was during the summer when there were very few students.

Latest posts