• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Now that's a pro call-out

Two things I love about this:

1 - All the people on Facebook responding with "Well said!"

2 - Every time something happens in DG that has any drama at all associated with it, the first thing that gets mentioned is "those Prodigy guys".

fwiw, I just said to name some names if you want to make a point. Vaguery doesn't get **** done IMO.

I wonder if the Prodigy guys aren't shopping around for a better deal with somebody other than their current sponsor.

10k base salary just for breathing and 400 discs per year?

I'm not even a fan of prodigy but that's a pretty cushy gig to up and leave. I doubt that is even in the picture.

Barsby has a fiery streak to him. He's an awesome guy and genuinely wants more for the sport, but I think this is more directed at an attitude than a specific action/reaction (just my guess). While I do think it's likely directed a the demographic of disc golfers that the prodigy team comprises, I wouldn't go so far as to assume it's only about them or directly about them. You've got to look at it like this. Barsby is 26, and has been playing for 20 years. So he's not old by any stretch, even in athletic standards, but he's old relative to the game. It's a discord between how he was brought up, and people who are very close to his life-age but not disc-golf-age. They act differently, and I am inclined to agree with him that oftentimes it's very selfish and nearsighted. There's a mini-boom in disc golf, but the big argument amongst all of us is where does the bubble pop? The optimists seem to think it can get to major levels, but the more jaded among us think it's false hope.

Though I'll agree it's not the most coherent thing I've seen/heard from him (it's also far from the least!), he definitely has a point.

Can someone fill me in as to why people think this is directed at Prodigy? I'm not into the inner workings of the disc golf industry

Can someone fill me in as to why people think this is directed at Prodigy? I'm not into the inner workings of the disc golf industry

DGCR thinks the disc golf world revolves around prodigy, pay no mind.

Stuff like this is the exact reason I got rid of Facebook almost 2 years ago.

Too many people ranting about their displeasure with things they have no intention or desire to actually influence. This guy is mad about how some of the guys he plays with regularly behave. Maybe he should mention it to them when he sees it happening rather than writing an anonymous letter on Facebook.

Chances are the people he is intending to reach with this message will either blow it off and laugh or not even know that he's trying to point the finger at himself.

Social media is the downfall of communication.

You know, this seems awfully similar to a recent anonymous blog posting calling for change in the sport without actually proposing any solutions...

:popcorn:

10k base salary just for breathing and 400 discs per year?

I'm not even a fan of prodigy but that's a pretty cushy gig to up and leave. I doubt that is even in the picture.

Barsby has a fiery streak to him. He's an awesome guy and genuinely wants more for the sport, but I think this is more directed at an attitude than a specific action/reaction (just my guess). While I do think it's likely directed a the demographic of disc golfers that the prodigy team comprises, I wouldn't go so far as to assume it's only about them or directly about them. You've got to look at it like this. Barsby is 26, and has been playing for 20 years. So he's not old by any stretch, even in athletic standards, but he's old relative to the game. It's a discord between how he was brought up, and people who are very close to his life-age but not disc-golf-age. They act differently, and I am inclined to agree with him that oftentimes it's very selfish and nearsighted. There's a mini-boom in disc golf, but the big argument amongst all of us is where does the bubble pop? The optimists seem to think it can get to major levels, but the more jaded among us think it's false hope.

Though I'll agree it's not the most coherent thing I've seen/heard from him (it's also far from the least!), he definitely has a point.

Maybe it's just me but $10K + $7-10K of Plastic isn't that cushy of a thang.

It might not be just about Prodigy but I find it hard to believe that those guys aren't near the core of his point. I'm sure the "California" "hall of famers and legendary people" that "you kids have never even heard of" sure it a point at that clique.

Last edited:

Prodigy came out with a different player sponsorship Model and got a lot of the young, top Pros to sign with them based on the promise of that new Model. Supposedly, the sponsored players were going to get part of the company (i.e. profit sharing) according to some things you read. You hear all kinds of things.

One story I heard is Will Schusterlick's car broke down one day and he had no way to get to a big Tournament, so he called Innova for some quick financial support, but they said no. So he was upset with them, and that was kind of the example for why people moved to Prodigy.

Not sure how their Discs are doing though, seems like a pretty saturated market IMO.

I have no idea if that is related to Gregg's Facebook rant though. Just participating in the random forum outrage - better get back to work...:popcorn:

Stuff like this is the exact reason I got rid of Facebook almost 2 years ago.

Too many people ranting about their displeasure with things they have no intention or desire to actually influence. This guy is mad about how some of the guys he plays with regularly behave. Maybe he should mention it to them when he sees it happening rather than writing an anonymous letter on Facebook.

Chances are the people he is intending to reach with this message will either blow it off and laugh or not even know that he's trying to point the finger at them.

Social media is the downfall of communication.

I meant to say the above

Change can only come from within. Kudos to Barsby for calling out his peers. Although I'm unsure of what affect it will have, if any. I'd also rather see this done one on one, and not through social media.

I refuse to have a Facebook account. My wife tells me what is going on there with my family and friends. Only reason I've ever considered doing it, is because on my local DG clubs Facebook site I could keep up with local events and post lost Discs. But I don't think it is worth it to expose myself to all the people I've ever met in the past and stuff.

I get where he's coming from. *picks up cosmic disc golf vibes*

I refuse to have a Facebook account. My wife tells me what is going on there with my family and friends. Only reason I've ever considered doing it, is because on my local DG clubs Facebook site I could keep up with local events and post lost Discs. But I don't think it is worth it to expose myself to all the people I've ever met in the past and stuff.

Make a fake name. Done.

Agree with New013 that whoever Barsby is addressing knows who they are and what they've been doing. It might not be possible to directly address each individual. Also, once a group has found a way to get over on the field as a whole, it's hard to rejoin the field and give up whatever advantage the gaming is gaining.