• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Now that's a pro call-out

It would seem that any pacts amongst players with respect to "rules enforcement" would be pretty much limited to "stance violations". Going beyond this (i.e., allowing pact member to move their mini to a better spot, letting an OB shot be deemed IB, etc) would be too hard and the risk (blatant cheaters are frowned on big time) would be much greater than the reward.

So if you think (I say "if" because I personally don't see this as a huge problem) that stance violation is too lax amongst top players, and perhaps selectively enforced, then GB (or others that view this as a problem) should start to "own" enforcement of stance violations within their groups. For example, before the round tell everyone in a good natured way something along the lines of, "Hey guys, I see a lot of us pros getting lax on enforcing stance violations. This is a big tournament so we should all try our best to be "clean". Please don't hesitate to say something or even make a call on me if I am committing a stance violation and I will do the same for you all. I'm not talking about getting out a microscope or being a nit picker, just clear stance violations". So again if you think uncalled stance violations is a problem, I think that it is only "whining" if you are not prepared to be proactive on this issue within your circles of tournament play.

i see it going both ways. this douche from south dakota in the last tourny kept callin foot faults on me. one was literally an inch or less away from a mini. he said i was "kitty corner" from it. another was he thought i had my tip toes on the mini when i was putting. i think you should call them, but he was the only one in the card that seemed to notice. typically the whole card agrees and he was the only one. i think what he noticed more was my comeback and how horrible he was doing on day two. rest assured, my jimmies werent rustled.

you should call people out on their bull ****, but having too many people thinking they saw something and trying to call faults is not fun to be around either. i mean call em as you see em. but no need to go over the top and nit pick but if your clearly committing a foul you need to be called

If you don't want to air your laundry in public, but you want to write a letter that the "kids these days" will read, why not send the group an email? :confused:
Do kids these days still read email? If you go by what the social media drones blurt out incessantly, everybody is on those sites and the rest of the internet is a figment of our imagination. All that matters is your friend/like/share count. Oh look, yet another party who wants you to like his page, before he gets to the point of his thread.

But I digress.

I'm starting ponder that names perhaps weren't named because the problems in question have gotten so widespread that it would have seemed selective for GB to call out any particular party.

How many other sports are self (or player) officiated? Besides golf. Just curious.

Frankly the roots of the game crowd has held the sport back with its drug and alcohol culture

I think sometimes people forget that at the end of the day we're throwing frisbees..

When was the last time you were at an NFL game, ball golf course or even at a public ball diamond "I've never seen alcohol or drugs there (input sarcasm)".

:\;):p

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is waaaaayyy too much drama in this male-dominated sport?

Back in the day, if dudes had a problem with each other they'd yell at each other, or maybe even go a few rounds. But these days, its all passive aggressive nonsense where people post stuff on facebook or just gossip about people behind their backs.

I say, if you have a problem with someone or a group of people, man up and say something to their face or call them.

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is waaaaayyy too much drama in this male-dominated sport?

Back in the day, if dudes had a problem with each other they'd yell at each other, or maybe even go a few rounds. But these days, its all passive aggressive nonsense where people post stuff on facebook or just gossip about people behind their backs.

I say, if you have a problem with someone or a group of people, man up and say something to their face or call them.

with you 100%

The problem is that we're not "back in the day." To those of you without teenagers, this is how they actually communicate these days. There are no more face-to face conversations. No phone calls. It's texts, and Facebook.

Is it as effective? Of course not. Is it ever going to change? Yes. It will get worse. :\

So I assume you said all that directly to Barsby rather than anonymously posting it on a disc golf board, right? :|

There's some drama, but I think a lot of it comes from frustration. There are a handful of guys out there trying to make a living on this sport and there's just not a lot of money to be had.

For those that don't have steady jobs to fall back on, trying to earn enough to stay on the road can be very stressful.

So I assume you said all that directly to Barsby rather than anonymously posting it on a disc golf board, right? :|

My response has as much to do with all the responses to this thread than his original post. But, to answer your questions directly, No. I did not say this to him because I have no way of communicating with his to tell him what I think about his rant. I do not know him personally, have geographic proximity to him or have any social media account to post a message to him. But, if he is on this particular forum and wants to have a conversation, I'd be more than happy to engage him. If I were local I would absolutely tell him what I think of his mission statement, or whatever you want to call it.

That said, my point was more of an observation about the sport as a whole, or maybe just today's society and the issues that persist because everyone now has a voice (in the form of social media) and automatically think that means people have to (or should) listen. Then, when their passive aggressive rants don't change anything, they repeat the cycle because they're mad people aren't listening to them. This kind of reverts back to the GYPSY philosophy discussed in another thread a couple months back.

There's some drama, but I think a lot of it comes from frustration. There are a handful of guys out there trying to make a living on this sport and there's just not a lot of money to be had.

For those that don't have steady jobs to fall back on, trying to earn enough to stay on the road can be very stressful.

So, in the words of the infamous Mr. Pink, "learn to freaking type." If they want to make more money then they should be doing something else. If they want to play an unpopular game (by comparison to most professional sports) then they need to accept everything that comes with it, including a tiny paycheck. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable of many professional disc golfers in unbelievable.

Of course, if I had to rely on playing disc golf for my money, I'd starve. But, that's why its a hobby and will always come behind my family and career in my list of priorities...

Last edited:

Bahahahaha. Classic.

Anyone else noticing the irony of attention whores on a disc golf forum, complaining about what they call an 'attention whore' on facebook? Even though GB is one of the most well liked Pros out there and half of you ride his nuts anytime a video of him comes out... he puts out this post about changes that need to be made in the top tier of the sport and you guys jump his balls about him being vague, and not saying it to their faces? Come on. Think before you post.

The problem is that we're not "back in the day." To those of you without teenagers, this is how they actually communicate these days. There are no more face-to face conversations. No phone calls. It's texts, and Facebook.

Is it as effective? Of course not. Is it ever going to change? Yes. It will get worse. :\

Yup. DEVO!

Bahahahaha. Classic.

Anyone else noticing the irony of attention whores on a disc golf forum, complaining about what they call an 'attention whore' on facebook? Even though GB is one of the most well liked Pros out there and half of you ride his nuts anytime a video of him comes out... he puts out this post about changes that need to be made in the top tier of the sport and you guys jump his balls about him being vague, and not saying it to their faces? Come on. Think before you post.

I just want to know what he's talking about. :\

Bahahahaha. Classic.

you seem to have an unhealthy fascination with GB's nuts

Yup, I've noticed the same thing. Too much drama and cliqueiness going around. Some of these guys act like teenage girls, kind of ironic considering it is a male-dominated sport.

I imagine Barsby was calling out open/pro caliber players, if not the elite touring pros. But it definitely goes deeper than that. You would think that professional DGers would uphold a level of professionalism, but apparently that is sometimes not the case.

At the end of the day, the real issue is that the sport we love, while growing at an exponential rate, continues to be a relatively unknown persuit. Tell someone you play disc golf and the response will almost always be "disc golf, what are you talking about?" or "I've heard of that" but they don't really know anything about it and have never seen it. There just won't be any mainstream attention given to it unless some real money and sponsorship becomes involved. And I'm not sure that will ever happen when our sport is a niche, behind the scenes kind of persuit. Maybe I'm wrong...and I hope that I am!