• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB: More or Less?

...and if I'm not mistaken, the ocean was "in bounds" for the PDGA cruise/tournament a few years ago.

...and if I'm not mistaken, the ocean was "in bounds" for the PDGA cruise/tournament a few years ago.

yes, one of my favorite memories from the first disc golf cruise was when our spotter, hippie chris, told a player "your disc is about 20 feet to the right of that stingray."

No I am not a proponent of man made OB's. I like the natural obvious OB's that are at just about every course I have played at. I say PLANT A TREE if you need to add difficulty!! There is one name less course where they spray painted island areas...anywhere outside the island was OB. The hole was ridiculously straight, wide open, and only about 200'. The island around the basket was only 10' in diameter. Miss that island and you re-tee. I've heard they did away with this nonsense and planted a few trees to block the basket!!

I think more OB, natural or not, will make you a better player. So if you go and play to get better you should like more OB, it forces you to make much tougher shots than just hucking the disc.

No I am not a proponent of man made OB's.

Well, let's see....

Parking lots are man-made
Roads & streets are man-made
Pathways & sidewalks are man-made
Most lakes in the US are man-made
Playgrounds are man-made
Basketball & tennis courts are man-made
Fenced property lines are man-made
Buildings are man-made
etc.

Why is it that so many players complain about rope or paint used to create an area that is OB, yet they have no problems with the examples listed above if they are played as OB? :confused:

Bottom line: Your lie is either in-bounds or out-of-bounds.

If you really want to make it more interesting play all short holes as a par 2 then see if Ob is really needed. You will take just as many boogies as with the OB. My home course only really has 3 open hole though the rest are a good mix of tight shots or really accurate drives if you want the par.

I really don't like OB unless the pre-existing features of the property dictate that a landing area be out of bounds. Such features include water, walls, parking lots, roads, poison ivy patches, etc.

There is footage of the 2010 USDGC on youtube, and in watching those videos I noticed the following:

Very few of the holes played on that course (sorry, I don't remember the name) were "true" golf holes. Most consisted of a huge bomb or two in an open field, with nothing to threaten a beautiful flight EVERY TIME. Players didn't have to hit any particular line (as they would on, say, a heavily wooded hole); all they had to do was make sure their disc landed in-bounds, which was marked of course by yellow rope. A course like this takes away a full half of the challenge of disc golf, I think. Sure, it takes skill to hit your landing zone accurately. But if there are no true hazards or obstacles to avoid, you're not golfing. Give me trees, give me rocks, give me water. But please keep the OB tape to a minimum.

OB: More or Less?

Less.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Same. :thmbup:

If I wanted to play a projectile game within tight marked boundaries, I'd go bowling. Or shooting*. Both of which are fun, not saying they aren't. Those activities are there for those who want tight marked boundaries.

Part of what I think is fun about disc golf is play where it lay. Being noob, you just know I've already had to stand in sticker vines and wing a disc through tree branches. Awesome! Heck, one thing that makes disc golf better than boring golf is that we play in the rough, not avoid it.

Now of course, playing off the fast lane of interstate or someone's private property, well, use some sense and call that OB. Aside from safety, if it's totally out of the park, it's OB.

Too many rules takes away the fun of a game.

*I did have a guy at an indoor range once shoot on my target from two lanes over. When the shooting stopped, I exclaimed how tight my groups were, what with my .22 making .40 cal sized holes. Problem solved. ;)

Latest posts