• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB RULES

For me if the course map or sign doesn't list something as OB, outside of the obvious, then play it as it lies. Obviously I wouldn't stand in the middle of I-40 and try and throw a disc but if it is just a small road with no one coming I say go for it. A casual player shouldn't have to go online or somewhere else and research information that should be on the sign. Though I do know that many times signs can be vandalized.

I'm pretty sure those roads at Armco are OB. I played the course with Johnny Sias, one of the designers, and it seemed like landing on and sometimes across the roads (where that was not part of the hole) were OB.

In casual play, you can make whatever OB rules you want. Personally I like treating roads and walking paths like concrete rivers, or even declaring the land on one side of it also as OB.

Another option is that you can treat these areas as "bunkers" and force the thrower to take their next shot from that lie with their thumb on the bottom to simulate "chipping". You could also use the "Buncr" rule that the PDGA experimented with and make the player rethrow from the previous lie without a stroke penalty.

I usually play all the roads at Armco as OB. If it's not crossing the fairway, beyond the road is also OB. I've had plenty of penalties there when a shot I KNEW was going to turn went absolutely dead friggin' straight.

Haven't played a tourney there yet, but I figure that's how they have it set up as well.

OB

The way ive allways played and you will find in most tournaments if your disc is on concrete/blacktop your usualy OB. but if your just playing to have fun then who cares play it where it lies.:wall::wall:

So long story short, there is no set rule. It just depends on how you want to play it and/or how a TD decides what the rule should be.

Yes.

If you add to your qualifications, what the sign or course map says.

In the great majority of cases, pavement and water is declared O.B. When in doubt, treat them as O.B., as it puts you in line with tournaments and most experienced players. "Beyond the road" is a less consistent standard; use your judgement.

Personally I would consider the road in play.
My local course has a hole where there is a gravel road that acts as the fairway. The tee box is set up just next to the road on the right side, and the hole is just shy of 300' up the road on the left side. Interestingly enough, though the sign does show the dirt walking trail that crosses about two thirds of the way up the fairway (road), it does not actually show the gravel road running straight up the fairway.

dcf7edd0.jpg

What's that gray stony looking line running vertically up and down the left-center of drawing on the tee sign?

Personally I would consider the road in play.
My local course has a hole where there is a gravel road that acts as the fairway. The tee box is set up just next to the road on the right side, and the hole is just shy of 300' up the road on the left side. Interestingly enough, though the sign does show the dirt walking trail that crosses about two thirds of the way up the fairway (road), it does not actually show the gravel road running straight up the fairway.

dcf7edd0.jpg

Usually if I know a course well enough to how they use it in a tournament, I'll play that format if it includes OBs. In more casual rounds with other people I won't be as strict with myself or others cause its usually just for fun. Thems my two cents.

3b7df730.jpg

This is #16 at Paschall Park in Mesquite, TX. The road dead ends just to the left (road block, it used to go into the neighborhood to the left). Since there isn't any traffic on the road, I don't know of anyone that plays it OB.

(The pic is from the short tees, it would be common for a drive to land on the road from the long tees, but you couldn't see it as well in the pic from the longs.)

I would say that if there is very little or no traffic on the road in question, it wouldn't be OB.

Last edited: