• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oblique Sling

Good example and comparison.

As an aside, at around 2:52 mark he says "he picks the foot up and lets it fall forward." I think we know he was really using internal torque or "the move" and "the drift" to get triple extension from plantar flexion to drive the stride and the hips.

Myofascial lines

The resistance band is something I'd like to try!

My nearby sports store sells several of these with various resistances. Light - 2kg, medium - 3 kg, heavy - 4kg. What resistance do you think I should go for?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The resistance band is something I'd like to try!

My nearby sports store sells several of these with various resistances. Light - 2kg, medium - 3 kg, heavy - 4kg. What resistance do you think I should go for?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Go easy if you want to emulate the feel. It should feel like an efortless load. Too much resistance will be counterproductive. I'm guessing 2kg is enough. You can always tighten it more. But that's just my guess.

Go easy if you want to emulate the feel. It should feel like an efortless load. Too much resistance will be counterproductive. I'm guessing 2kg is enough. You can always tighten it more. But that's just my guess.
Yea it does make sense. In the end the purpose is just to get the feel for it. It should work as long as I can feel the effect of the tension in the band and anything extra would not help.

I'll update you on if it works for me as well.

So I managed to borrow a resistance band from my BIL. However it kept slipping off my shoulder. I think it is probably a bit more narrow than yours. So I didn't really bother to take it out to the field.

The whole idea behind the oblique slings from this thread is helpful though. Being able to understand better what forces in your body should drive the throw is helpful. Also, the swim move seems to not only allow me to use that anterior oblique sling, it also seems to help me stay more balanced and braced.

Still trying to figure out a lot of things though. Some throws I'm focusing on weight shifting and feeling how gravity can accelerate the swing. Other throws I focus on setting a good framework/tilted axis and using these oblique slings to power my throw. I think I just can't figure out how to combine the two.

Jc7MP0w.png

These are the anterior oblique slings? I've mostly been visualising it as an oblique sling going from the left leg through the right shoulder into the right elbow. But in this image it shows the oblique sling running through the shoulder opposite to the elbow. I don't completely grasp this idea.

These are the anterior oblique slings? I've mostly been visualising it as an oblique sling going from the left leg through the right shoulder into the right elbow. But in this image it shows the oblique sling running through the shoulder opposite to the elbow. I don't completely grasp this idea.
Guess it depends on how you look at it. Everything is reciprocal between anterior and posterior and left and right, one thing leads to another like walking.

The only difference between the two is the swing direction is mirrored and so are the slings. Randy's top of the backswing is basically Mahomes release point and vice versa. The left shoulder posts to swing the right shoulder/arm/disc.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135088
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138151

How much force needs to be applied on the 'swim move' technique. Does one (RHBH) just move their left arm in internally for what feels natural? Or should one drive the left arm in with a lot of force?

I've attempted to practice this in the past and believe I was doing it incorrectly. I was trying to really get some speed/power coming from my left arm and I think that cost me power/accuracy.

To rephrase my question: is it more important to do the swim move smoothly, without focusing on how fast you bring the left arm inward? Or is it more important to really slam that left arm into your body at maximize speed?

How much force needs to be applied on the 'swim move' technique. Does one (RHBH) just move their left arm in internally for what feels natural? Or should one drive the left arm in with a lot of force?

I've attempted to practice this in the past and believe I was doing it incorrectly. I was trying to really get some speed/power coming from my left arm and I think that cost me power/accuracy.

To rephrase my question: is it more important to do the swim move smoothly, without focusing on how fast you bring the left arm inward? Or is it more important to really slam that left arm into your body at maximize speed?
It has to be done smoothly, not thrashing around and drowning or spilling the beverage.

Awesome, thank you! Will try and see what comes of it. Excited to potentially some more 'D' to the drives.

Last edited:

The sling system is like a tug of war.
92626626-stock-vector-cartoon-stick-man-drawing-conceptual-illustration-of-business-office-team-competition-of-tug-of-war-.jpg

You can add or subtract people. The key is making one team pull at the same time and in the same direction. The same direction meaning that the direction of the pull is opposite to the other force working on the rope. The rope could bend around a big tree for example, and more people could pull on the the part of the rope that's going 90 degrees around the tree. They are still adding their force and pulling in same direction relative to the rope. Your body works in the same way.

I would say that the way you've been visualizing the sling is correct. The posterior oblique sling goes from the back hip to the opposite shoulder, and can be extended down the same leg and the same arm. The same goes for the anterior sling but it's going across the front of the body instead. (I would remove the green line going across the shoulders in SW's pic and also change the colors on the arms from green to pink and pink to green.)

Side note regarding the swim move (off-arm):
Imagine the same tug of war as before. If you want as much force on the rope as possible but still keep it balanced what would you do? If you add people on one side you have to add people on the other side, everyone needs to pull at the same time, and so on... Think about the off-arm in the same way. The posterior sling needs to move in sync with the anterior sling. It should feel like a big wave moving in towards the shore, building up. Not at sudden splash of water crashing down.

More tensegrity oriented version.
eCJc935.png

This version makes a lot of sense to me. I like how you added a yellow frame through which the slings go.

I guess this framework is where posture comes in? I think having the right framework/posture will be what allows you to efficiently direct that power from the oblique slings into the disc.

Posture will be what I should be working on a lot at the moment I think. Although I am feeling off balance currently if I don't stay upright.

Last edited:
The sling system is like a tug of war.
92626626-stock-vector-cartoon-stick-man-drawing-conceptual-illustration-of-business-office-team-competition-of-tug-of-war-.jpg

You can add or subtract people. The key is making one team pull at the same time and in the same direction. The same direction meaning that the direction of the pull is opposite to the other force working on the rope. The rope could bend around a big tree for example, and more people could pull on the the part of the rope that's going 90 degrees around the tree. They are still adding their force and pulling in same direction relative to the rope. Your body works in the same way.

I would say that the way you've been visualizing the sling is correct. The posterior oblique sling goes from the back hip to the opposite shoulder, and can be extended down the same leg and the same arm. The same goes for the anterior sling but it's going across the front of the body instead. (I would remove the green line going across the shoulders in SW's pic and also change the colors on the arms from green to pink and pink to green.)

Side note regarding the swim move (off-arm):
Imagine the same tug of war as before. If you want as much force on the rope as possible but still keep it balanced what would you do? If you add people on one side you have to add people on the other side, everyone needs to pull at the same time, and so on... Think about the off-arm in the same way. The posterior sling needs to move in sync with the anterior sling. It should feel like a big wave moving in towards the shore, building up. Not at sudden splash of water crashing down.

I don't get the tug of war analogy yet. I understand there are opposing forces counteracting each other, but in a tug of war both sides are pulling as hard as they can. I think these opposing forces work as a wave, alternating back and forth. Or is this not the thing you are trying to make an analogy for?

I don't get the tug of war analogy yet. I understand there are opposing forces counteracting each other, but in a tug of war both sides are pulling as hard as they can. I think these opposing forces work as a wave, alternating back and forth. Or is this not the thing you are trying to make an analogy for?

Well... There is a lot of ways to describe the sling systems, and a lot of ways to break them down. What I meant with the tug of war is the possibility of getting your muscles to work together, pulling on the same rope and in the same direction. Let's say one guy is located at your left hamstring, one at your left hip, one at your left lower back, one at your right upper back... and so on.. To make the system work well they need to pull at the same time and in the same direction. (Same direction meaning pulling along the sling, not the same direction relative to the ground or something). They can't be jerking the rope around focusing on their own effort. There must be an effort for teamwork.