• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oblique Sling

Well... There is a lot of ways to describe the sling systems, and a lot of ways to break them down. What I meant with the tug of war is the possibility of getting your muscles to work together, pulling on the same rope and in the same direction. Let's say one guy is located at your left hamstring, one at your left hip, one at your left lower back, one at your right upper back... and so on.. To make the system work well they need to pull at the same time and in the same direction. (Same direction meaning pulling along the sling, not the same direction relative to the ground or something). They can't be jerking the rope around focusing on their own effort. There must be an effort for teamwork.
I see what you mean now. Thanks for the explanation.

Question for you guys on the sling.

I believe I've got an easy way to feel it although it could just be more lats I'm feeling.

If I'm standing in my regular stance and backswing by reaching down and back by my hip and quite literally "reach back"' (just like inside swing drill) I feel enormous tension and power ready to utilize through my sides and back. Is this part of the sling system or something else?

It's like I'm breaking some rules or something because I'm actively reaching disc first internally to feel this, but I've changed my backswing to this method with a looser arm but still feeling that tension through the side muscles as I swing back and through, it makes my backswing feel shorter yet more powerful. Also potentially eliminating my persistent rounding/hugging issue. (I'm still swaying the backswing inside of my posture too often tho)

Thoughts?

(Just wanted to add - the sequence is disc goes back BEFORE shoulders, the shoulders don't feel like they rotate at all really....)

Last edited:
Sounds like Door Frame Drill. Disc/hand is already back and then shoulders rotate back while striding forward, or rotate further back or keep rotating further back later.

When using the Feldy/Shultz/MJ/Philo backswing everything swings back together. The hand/disc is "already back" even when it's pointed at target because the arm doesn't really move.

Question for you guys on the sling.

I believe I've got an easy way to feel it although it could just be more lats I'm feeling.

If I'm standing in my regular stance and backswing by reaching down and back by my hip and quite literally "reach back"' (just like inside swing drill) I feel enormous tension and power ready to utilize through my sides and back. Is this part of the sling system or something else?

It's like I'm breaking some rules or something because I'm actively reaching disc first internally to feel this, but I've changed my backswing to this method with a looser arm but still feeling that tension through the side muscles as I swing back and through, it makes my backswing feel shorter yet more powerful. Also potentially eliminating my persistent rounding/hugging issue. (I'm still swaying the backswing inside of my posture too often tho)

Thoughts?

(Just wanted to add - the sequence is disc goes back BEFORE shoulders, the shoulders don't feel like they rotate at all really....)

Grab an elastic band and pull it anywhere across your body. That's basically how the sling system works. You could anchor the band at different places across different parts of the body. You can pull it tighter or make it run across joints and in different angles. Longer or shorter.
It's a system for your muscles and fascia to work together through the body. In that way it's also different from person to person, and people are used to different movements.
Some of the more commonly used systems are refered to as anterior, posterior, lateral etc.

So to answer your question, maybe that's what you are feeling. Loading a sling isn't about going to your maximum mobilty and stretching the muscles. It's about building up tension and a spring system ready to unload. Seppo Paju is loading his sling more tightly and shorter than some pros, but it still works just as good. He can start the swing with the disc further back, but he doesn't have to.
See if you can load the system in the same way without reaching back too low or too far back with the disc first. The door frame drill is really good for this (as SW just said).

Question about putting tension on the oblique sling in the backswing. (Getting into the doorframe position).

Do I understand it correctly that the sling is put under tension by moving our center towards the target while the rear foot and disc stay behind? (This is what Simon means with moving around the disc perhaps?).

How should this feel like and what would you focus on? I know the disc should stay in place to some degree. However, it does move relative to the rest of your body. So does it feel more like swinging the disc back? Or moving our lower spine forward? Both?

Question about putting tension on the oblique sling in the backswing. (Getting into the doorframe position).

Do I understand it correctly that the sling is put under tension by moving our center towards the target while the rear foot and disc stay behind? (This is what Simon means with moving around the disc perhaps?).

How should this feel like and what would you focus on? I know the disc should stay in place to some degree. However, it does move relative to the rest of your body. So does it feel more like swinging the disc back? Or moving our lower spine forward? Both?

This incomplete drill could be of help:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3689216&postcount=2

How does it feel to load up your body for a big jump upwards? How does it feel to load up for a punch?

The sensation is the same, and it's a bit hard to describe that feeling. It's a loading sensation ready to release, not a stretching or flexing sensation.
In the backswing it feels like your left hip / butt is a heavy anchor and everything is swinging out accelerated from that heavy feeling. Like it's impossible to stop it.
It's like jumping on a trampoline or what I imagine it would feel like to bounce of the ropes in wrestling. Loading, pause that feels like forever and then the acceleration.

One idea is to think about it like if you picked up a heavy ball from the ground, reached up over your head and then slammed it as hard as you can in to the ground, in one fluid motion. Accelerate up, change direction and accelerate down.
Now flip the feeling over to horizontal and do let your left hip be the feet. Does that make any sense at all?

Medicine-Ball-Slam.gif

If you can stand still and feel that kind of loaded state by reaching the disc back you can find the same feeling by reaching the body forward instead, with the right timing.

https://youtu.be/b3xPhesK-sE

I like this little drill by Malaska if you think about how he talks about the arm pulling the shoulder, and doing the backswing that way feels really smooth and like it's loading everything up naturally. Also makes you wanna transition back nicely because your body is ready to go.

This incomplete drill could be of help:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3689216&postcount=2

How does it feel to load up your body for a big jump upwards? How does it feel to load up for a punch?

The sensation is the same, and it's a bit hard to describe that feeling. It's a loading sensation ready to release, not a stretching or flexing sensation.
In the backswing it feels like your left hip / butt is a heavy anchor and everything is swinging out accelerated from that heavy feeling. Like it's impossible to stop it.
It's like jumping on a trampoline or what I imagine it would feel like to bounce of the ropes in wrestling. Loading, pause that feels like forever and then the acceleration.

One idea is to think about it like if you picked up a heavy ball from the ground, reached up over your head and then slammed it as hard as you can in to the ground, in one fluid motion. Accelerate up, change direction and accelerate down.
Now flip the feeling over to horizontal and do let your left hip be the feet. Does that make any sense at all?

Medicine-Ball-Slam.gif

If you can stand still and feel that kind of loaded state by reaching the disc back you can find the same feeling by reaching the body forward instead, with the right timing.

This all seems very enlightening and I think I felt a hint of this on my longest throws. I have been trying out some of this in my recent field work. However I think that there is something wrong with my weight transfer and hip rotation that prevents me from doing this properly. I am also working on getting some stuff right from the rocking the hips thread. Will report when I have some results. I think the drill also helps with getting the feel of what some would describe as lagging the disc behind. Very interesting to think about it like jumping up or bouncing off the ropes in a ring, indeed it feels like forever.

I think when I switched to 'walking around the disc' in the reach back I lost my posterior oblique sling effect, which is probably why I initially have lost some distance. Probably need to continue the technique but make sure it feels like I'm really stretching. I think in some video the pros have a subtle snap back for lack of a better term just before going forward with the disc. This probably really stretches the sling. Thanks for the thread!

Interesting to find this thread. I've been doing kettlebell training for a few months and found Mark Wildman's channel. Kinda like the SW of kettlebells, lol. A lot of this oblique sling stuff corroborates the reasons I really like single-kettlebell exercises: cross-body stabilization. One handed farmer carries will kick your arse. And call me a masochist, but I really enjoy turkish get ups.

Here's Mark talking about cross-body stabilization and slings: (go to 2:03)

Interesting to find this thread. I've been doing kettlebell training for a few months and found Mark Wildman's channel. Kinda like the SW of kettlebells, lol. A lot of this oblique sling stuff corroborates the reasons I really like single-kettlebell exercises: cross-body stabilization. One handed farmer carries will kick your arse. And call me a masochist, but I really enjoy turkish get ups.

I started doing a "cross body clean" because of this oblique sling thread. Instead of doing it like video below, I actually go into a side lunge to isolate the sling. For example, on a right handed cross body clean, my right leg will be straight out and unable to assist with the lift. This forces you to activate your oblique sling to stabilize as your left leg is providing a-symmetrical power. Make sure you turn your shoulders towards the bell, I found my sling was not nearly as activated when I kept my shoulders square to front.

I tried cross body clean swings, but I found that the safe range of motion during a swing wasn't enough to fully activate the oblique sling. I needed the extra ROM coming off the ground.

I started doing a "cross body clean" because of this oblique sling thread. Instead of doing it like video below, I actually go into a side lunge to isolate the sling. For example, on a right handed cross body clean, my right leg will be straight out and unable to assist with the lift. This forces you to activate your oblique sling to stabilize as your left leg is providing a-symmetrical power. Make sure you turn your shoulders towards the bell, I found my sling was not nearly as activated when I kept my shoulders square to front.

I tried cross body clean swings, but I found that the safe range of motion during a swing wasn't enough to fully activate the oblique sling. I needed the extra ROM coming off the ground.

59nvf2.jpg

Nice. I'm doing the Simple and Sinister program, with great results so far. I love it because its done in about 35mins and doesn't leave you fully tapped. Once I reach the 'simple' standard I definitely plan to implement some type of clean and press program, but I'll probably always keep swings around due to the cardio, and I just love turkish get ups.

I just love turkish get ups.

Agreed, but I am in a weird spot with the TGU. I use a 24kg bell, which means it is light enough where I can use more reps, but heavy enough to mess me up if it lands on my face. I usually do limited sets of 3, because any more and I am risking injury, but I still feel like I need more for maximum benefit. I may need to get a 32kg bell and just do sets of 1.

My current bell goal is the Secret Service snatch test. 200 snatch in 10 minutes. I am at about 100 right now before I am risking injury, so this goal is about a year away I am thinking. I cheat and use gloves btw.

Sounds like Door Frame Drill. Disc/hand is already back and then shoulders rotate back while striding forward, or rotate further back or keep rotating further back later.

I hadn't noticed Brent Pourciau discussing this before in this video on hip to shoulder separation, but particularly starting at 2:48 he uses the whip example and talks of the opposing forces happening in the whip to get the crack. At 3:07 he says the key is where he reverses direction and "the handle comes down while the end goes up". Getting the hip to shoulder separation is definitely stretching the oblique slings with opposing forces for the rubber band effect.

Sounds like Door Frame Drill. When using the Feldy/Shultz/MJ/Philo backswing everything swings back together. The hand/disc is "already back" even when it's pointed at target because the arm doesn't really move.