• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Octane

Any way you look at it, I think the more people who get a chance to throw this disc, and the more plastics it comes out in, the more popular it will become. I am pretty damn impressed with it so far.

I just received my 166, 170, and 174 Octanes. Threw them in a field yesterday. I have about 325-350' of power. The 174 had barely any turn, had a dumpy, "get to the ground in a hurry", steep angle fade. Something like -0.5 to -1 turn, 2 fade but hard fade. The 170 had some more turn, -1 to -1.5. The fade was less steep, more glidey. Because of the extra glide in the fade it was a wider fade, what I would normally call 3 fade. The 166 had great turn, -2 to -3 easy. Had the glidiest fade, and the widest fade. As much as it turned, even when I rounded one of the throws, it faded back just left of center. All 3 went the same distance consistently, just with very different flight paths. They were consistently landing in a neat line, with the 174 being 20' left of the 170, and the 166 being 20' right of the 170.

I totally messed up a forehand with the 166, and it went WAY left, but still hit a fade point and dumped into the ground. I didn't purposefully try any anhyzers but I imagine that even with the 166 that these would pull out towards the end because of this hard, choppy fade.

Thought I'd be trying the different weights to figure out which one I should bag, but I think I'm going to bag at least the 174 and 166. They all go the same distance interestingly, so the 170 just doesn't have a flight path I need, but the difference between the 174 and 166 flights is huge and the 166 has a very interesting flight to me.

Just received my Hot Pink 167 Octane, and despite my upper body soreness from lifting, I went straight to the field to test it.
I paired it with my 172 Wave to help with comparable distance. Those who have watched my videos can attest, I don't have a huge arm, but I'm pretty accurate hitting golf lines at 350-375ft. I can reach 400+ on occasions, but I prefer accuracy over distance.

I don't have giant hands, but the wider rim actually felt very comfortable due to the slight dome of the disc. I hear some complain about the flatness of other MVP/Axiom molds and their ability to grip it comfortably, but I have never had issues.

It was sunny and warm (58 F) with a steady breeze of 10-15mph, thankfully for me it was a tail wind at the park

On the initial throw, I threw it flat had a small tight S turn before it began fading and landing further than my crushed Wave. I didn't feel like I threw it that well, but both were past 350ft. The next few throws were flat resulting in the same straight to late consistent fade. My last few throws were annys, one low and one high. The low throw held the anny a long way before flexing out and landing about 10-15 feet right of center from release point. The higher anny flexed out and had more fade, but still landed just further than the lower anny at just under or about 400ft.

The biggest impression this disc made was on a FH. Each flick landed around the 350ft line. The flight was a tight S curve and still a predictable fade. I have not hit such straight FH lines since I stopped FH Z Nukes. To hit this same line with a Wave, I have to flick it on a hyzer, but the Octane can be thrown flat making it much easier to control.

Final Verdict.
If I need a flexing anny line I will bomb my Wave BH. If I need to hit a long tight line I will BH the Octane. The Octane will see lots of action as my FH disc of choice with the Photon and Tesla picking up the slack. Great Job MVP.

PS I will try and record a round with this disc soon, but I need to find a new video editing software. Windows 10 update axed my old moviemaker software. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I wasn't that impressed. I threw max weight photon and octane side by side and got them pretty much on same spot 380 feet away. Low flat line. I need to beat it a bit to get some turn to it. Maybe around 165 would be sweet spot to my arm for fresh disc.

I got to throw one twice on Saturday. It was REALLY domey, and I got no turn out of it, and it flexed out of an anny to finish a bit right of center. (RHBH) Not going to do much for me unless the non pop-top ones are less stable.

I got my Octane 169g yesterday and I am really impressed. It's close to "understable" Destroyer but this one really has the glide and better stability. Best throw with it has been 433 feet. Flight bath was same as my Destroyer's but this one just gept going. It's gyro thing, you need a lot of spin on this one.

Thinking of buying max Weight one for wind.

I threw a Red 172 gram Octane in field work today. I was throwing it next to a worked in GStar, a very worked in Star Destroyer, and a fresher Star Destroyer. I have to say, I am fairly impressed with the Octane. It was hanging with my GStar Destroyer very well, taking similar lines with maybe just a tick more fade, but very similar distances. I'd put it right around the stability of a Fresh GStar Destroyer. I was throwing both of them in the 365-380 foot range consistently with a few throws over 400. They were mostly finishing to the right of where I was aiming as well (RHBH). I'd say if you can throw this over 350, you're definitely going to see some turn out of it. If you throw it over 375, you're almost certainly going to finish to the right unless you put it on a steep hyzer angle.

I'm glad to see MVP finally has some real distance drivers. I wanted to love the Photon when it came out, but the one I had just never seemed to have the distance potential of my Destroyers. The Octance definitely does. Now I'll have to pick up a Nitro at some point to see how it compares to a Star Destroyer or Scorpius.

MVP dealer info- in stores Aug. 5th:

MVP Proton Octane
23mm Max Distance Class / Stable-Understable

Introducing maximum distance in Proton -- the Proton Octane. This will be the debut of MVP's 23mm class in Proton, and the Octane's stable flight profile makes it the perfect model for a Proton debut. Evenly-domed and firm just like its Neutron brother, the Proton Octane delivers reliable lines at the ultra high speeds we all love watching. Average throwers should see straight flights with a bit of shallow turn, while power throwers will be able to hyzerflip for max distance and tailwind lines.

The 23mm class cores are deeper than typical MVP drivers to afford more glide for distance, and feature a nice dome not typically seen in MVP drivers. From its shape to its weight distribution, the 23mm class is built for distance. In Proton plastic, the Octane gets custom graphics and candy plastic.

SE octanes

We're pleased to introduce an idea that we hope really takes off -- the MVP Rocket stamp!

This dazzling triple-foil stamp is executed in precision aligned black, silver, and gold foils. It depicts an explosion of power under highly engineered control and precision -- like a golf shot -- and in the less abstract, an awesome rocket launch.

Similar to the Axiom 1616 stamp releases, this flying machine will be stamped on select models and only available for a limited time. Put some serious fuel behind your Proton Octane with the MVP Rocket stamp.

I gotta say, that's a pretty sick stamp. If I threw any proton style plastic, then I would definitely pick up some of those.

I have a couple of them, and they are pretty much the same as other Octanes in flight. The Octane was a perfect replacement for my Outlaws, and now it is my current favorite distance driver. This new stamp looks fantastic too, which is a definite plus. I'm looking forward to getting them on the course a little more, which is tough with 115+ degrees and being the single dad of a 2 year old. My first throw with the Proton was a 440' hole where I was pin deep and canned the birdie putt.

Pretty cool stamp but I would have about zero chance of finding it in the shule. I know...keep it on the fairway.:|

My bad. I was focusing on the clear plastic.

been throwing this orange ~171g beside my outlaws when i want something that won't turn over on straight lines, could just throw in a fresh 1st run outlaw but have to say i'm super impressed with it and plan to keep it in the bag for the flat straight, tunnel shots, or windy conditions. Outlaw has it beat on the max distance by quite a bit but sometimes i sacrifice the distance for a more predictability.

Well, the Proton release happened pretty fast. Wasn't expecting it until fall. Not that I'd complain. This gives me a solid reason to buy at least a couple more:clap:

Gotta say, after throwing MVP/Axiom exclusively for more than two years now, the weight-to-stability relation in this mold (the whole 23mm class?) is something radical. I mean that inside the currently available 11 gram weight difference you can get two very different fliers on the opposing ends. Unlike previously, I don't see any need for a new mold between e.g. Octane and Catalyst. Wonder what the eventual Axiom counterparts will be like or if Plasma is gonna give anything new flight-wise.

Anyway, keep'em coming. I was instantly bagging a couple of Octanes for max distance (also have a 175g Catalyst on a try out for looong turnovers and downwind drives). Photons will stay for controlled distance and FH due to their flatness.

Super impressed with this disc. I've been frustrated with ever changing Destroyer runs for a while and been trying to replace SDS's. Nothing really did the job until I got my hands on an Octane. My 165 gram Octane flew very similarly to my longest flying Destroyers right out of the box. I found it a little bit unpredictable in headwinds but same could also be said for my longest flying Destroyers.

I also bought a couple of heavier ones (171 and 173 grams) and they also have a healthy amount of turn for me, but they're somewhat more dependable even in moderate headwind. For high head winds I'll still go to my most overstable Destroyer, but maybe Nitro could fill that spot. Remains to be seen though.

My max distance is roughly 450 feet and I can hit 400 feet without really trying. Octane is the Destroyer killer disc I've been looking for a long time now.

If the Octane is a little understable in those winds, then a max Nitro should pick up the slack.

Latest posts