• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OH distance

Just learned
A. Zenny is married
B. Zenny may be a Sasquatch.
MessinWithSasquatch_2_400.jpg
I agree with you on both accounts.

I'm not sure if I can find the broadcast, but here's quote I found about the PDGA podcast from 2008 where Brian talks about his thumber.

I am not a big thumber thrower, but I heard an interview with Schweberger on PDGA radio and he said he could thumb a Star Whippet a good 50feet past his Firebirds since it flips so slowly.

Wow. Those are serious hands. I don't know what to recommend, or how much difference it makes in getting a good grip.

In my experience, Whippets, Banshees, Firebirds -- slower, overstable discs -- are the farthest flying OH discs, and the most accurate (with the exception of an Epic, which doesn't count). I don't fully understand the physics of why these fly farther for most players than higher speed discs.

I suspect that it may come down to the amount of power/armspeed needed to get a disc to reach it's potential. There is minimal room for acceleration with an overhand throw, and the physics of the shot means that most people don't have the ability to get a higher speed disc up to speed, so it stalls out early. Older, thicker-rimmed discs have a flight path that matches the power/speed of an OH shot better, so it results in better distance.

Keep in mind I'm not sure this is a correct explanation, but it seems like it might be valid when I think about it.

My favorite OH discs are old 9x and 10x KC Banshees. I've got several saved up. For me, they aren't the farthest distance, but they are close and they are the most accurate.

Most of the time I need an OH shot, it's because I'm off the fairway and need to go up and over or to carve a very specific flight path through the woods, and accuracy is more important than distance.

Unless you're planning on driving a lot with an OH, I'd worry more about finding a disc you can be accurate with than about finding a max-D overhand disc.

I've been loving my flat opto xXx for tommys, you have to get enough height on it for it to flip, but it's very consistent. In general I've found that flatter discs work better than domey discs.

I'm using a Champ Xcal now, but at only 250' with the thumber I'm pretty sure I can improve since my backhand is about 100' longer than that.. It's been in my bag for a couple years and I was previously using it for just skip shots. I own a few Firebirds and Banshees. I'll try them out. I've heard really good things about the Whippet, but never needed one in the past since my Drone filled that slot for backhands. Thanks for the input.

Pure Distance OH Questions:
1) What angle/height should you launch an OH at?
2) is there a general preference to thumber/tomahawk?

Wow. Those are serious hands. I don't know what to recommend, or how much difference it makes in getting a good grip.

In my experience, Whippets, Banshees, Firebirds -- slower, overstable discs -- are the farthest flying OH discs, and the most accurate (with the exception of an Epic, which doesn't count). I don't fully understand the physics of why these fly farther for most players than higher speed discs.

I suspect that it may come down to the amount of power/armspeed needed to get a disc to reach it's potential. There is minimal room for acceleration with an overhand throw, and the physics of the shot means that most people don't have the ability to get a higher speed disc up to speed, so it stalls out early. Older, thicker-rimmed discs have a flight path that matches the power/speed of an OH shot better, so it results in better distance.

Keep in mind I'm not sure this is a correct explanation, but it seems like it might be valid when I think about it.

My favorite OH discs are old 9x and 10x KC Banshees. I've got several saved up. For me, they aren't the farthest distance, but they are close and they are the most accurate.

Most of the time I need an OH shot, it's because I'm off the fairway and need to go up and over or to carve a very specific flight path through the woods, and accuracy is more important than distance.

Unless you're planning on driving a lot with an OH, I'd worry more about finding a disc you can be accurate with than about finding a max-D overhand disc.

Couple points in there.

I actually recommend the Banshee to most "athletic" players that are new to throwing a disc OH and it usually works out great. Actually, if it wasn't for the way I love to skip Flicks; I'd probably still use a Banshee myself, but the newer ones seem to not be as good as what my old star stamp was (Still have it but afraid if I throw it 1 more time, it will split in half)

If a Banshee works for you, then I would say try the Flick and/or xXx if you want.

Personally, I've never had a problem with accuracy with a Flick, and it is my longest, but most of the time placement on the ground is not so much the option to consider when I use mine, but rather just trying to hit right over the lowest spot that I can clear the obstacle. Sometimes that's a ways up there and forward distance then comes as a premium.

In relation to throwing an epic; My buddy Slim has a legit 425' thumber. He's got his epic tuned to that right handed on a 30 degree left of vertical line thrown at what I assume is 50-60 degrees it rolls over 1 1/4 times to flat then glides right to the end.

Ive got a Whippet in my bag and I have neven thrown it thumber.. or even thought about it! hah.. Just by the feel of it, I cannot imagine it getting much distance.. but Im gonna try soon!

Wow thanks guys. I am predominently OH at the moment, I come from a baseball bakground so it so much more natural to me. I'm getting better at backhand with my Leopards but I'm still getting 250' max and very very inconsistent. I'm just looking for pure distance here since I've found my Eagle to be very accurate. And at this point I only throw tomahawks. So I guess the choices are XXX, Firebird, Banshee, Flick?

Wow thanks guys. I am predominently OH at the moment, I come from a baseball bakground so it so much more natural to me. I'm getting better at backhand with my Leopards but I'm still getting 250' max and very very inconsistent. I'm just looking for pure distance here since I've found my Eagle to be very accurate. And at this point I only throw tomahawks. So I guess the choices are XXX, Firebird, Banshee, Flick?
If you're OH dominant it's probably worth actually getting an Epic.

If you're OH dominant it's probably worth actually getting an Epic.

It might not hurt to try. Maybe the issues of not quite knowing for sure where its at in tuning is negated a bit by the fact you just threw it so it can only have changed so much.

Why would an Epic or a Whippet be better for thumbers than a very fast, very overstable disc like the Xcaliber?

I have also been told to throw this shot like you are throwing a football(reach back behind your ear)... and to have the top edge of the disc leaning in towards you rather than straight up and down or away from you to get max D.

This info is from one of TN's finest and our local expert on thumbers.

Thoughts, comments?

I forgot the other important tip Mt. Man said...

Make a finger gun, your thumb is up, and your index finger is pointing out. Now do this while you are doing your thumber but pull the thumb down tight to press the disc into your hand. Your index finger provides added support and your thumb is getting a better grip because the disc is actually seated against your middle finger with the thumb pressing down firmly.

I'm just a novice at throwing these guys, but it is another tool in my belt that I am adding in 2011. I've used thumbers in tournament situations this year to get up and over things, as upshots when I just wanted the disc to sit in big winds, and as a short drive technique in tailwinds on short holes with OB behind the basket. I think the thumber is a great weapon to have and want to increase my overall distance above the 250' I am at now.

Does anyone that actually throws this shot regularly have any comments on this "advice" I've received?

Why would an Epic or a Whippet be better for thumbers than a very fast, very overstable disc like the Xcaliber?

I have also been told to throw this shot like you are throwing a football(reach back behind your ear)... and to have the top edge of the disc leaning in towards you rather than straight up and down or away from you to get max D.

This info is from one of TN's finest and our local expert on thumbers.

Thoughts, comments?

I've had this conversation with CWAlbino before and its still a bit cloudy because I moved on trying to fully understand it but; there is a sweet spot in some discs that when they beat in, they will flip and then stop flat and glide like a regular throw giving a thumber great distance. Some discs probably like the Whippet, and I know I have had Banshees, beat in and are great at that for whatever reason. The Epic does it by design with its offset circle.

I don't know about like a football, but I like to throw mine like Im winding up for a pitch and throwing like I was trying to throw from center field straight to home. I played pitcher and center field as a kid and I find the wind up for whatever reason, helps me to follow through which saves a TON of shoulder pain for me. Do it wrong once, and I could be out for the round.

I forgot the other important tip Mt. Man said...

Make a finger gun, your thumb is up, and your index finger is pointing out. Now do this while you are doing your thumber but pull the thumb down tight to press the disc into your hand. Your index finger provides added support and your thumb is getting a better grip because the disc is actually seated against your middle finger with the thumb pressing down firmly.

I'm just a novice at throwing these guys, but it is another tool in my belt that I am adding in 2011. I've used thumbers in tournament situations this year to get up and over things, as upshots when I just wanted the disc to sit in big winds, and as a short drive technique in tailwinds on short holes with OB behind the basket. I think the thumber is a great weapon to have and want to increase my overall distance above the 250' I am at now.

Thats interesting but I typically dont point my fingers. I just have my thumb hooked and my fingers underneath, almost like the disc is on a stick I am gripping thats not really there. Will give it a try though.

I've had this conversation with CWAlbino before and its still a bit cloudy because I moved on trying to fully understand it but; there is a sweet spot in some discs that when they beat in, they will flip and then stop flat and glide like a regular throw giving a thumber great distance. Some discs probably like the Whippet, and I know I have had Banshees, beat in and are great at that for whatever reason. The Epic does it by design with its offset circle.

Very understable discs will act this way.

Thats interesting but I typically dont point my fingers. I just have my thumb hooked and my fingers underneath, almost like the disc is on a stick I am gripping thats not really there. Will give it a try though.

I dont point my fingers on thumbers either. The grip I use is more like a closed first grip I guess I would say. Just make a fist with your thumbpad against the side of your pointer finger and then wedge the disc between your thumb and pointer finger and you have my grip. I used to leave my finger pointed out a little big but doing it with a fist grip makes me feel like I get more distance out of it since I have less constant contact with the flight plate.

I dont point my fingers on thumbers either. The grip I use is more like a closed first grip I guess I would say. Just make a fist with your thumbpad against the side of your pointer finger and then wedge the disc between your thumb and pointer finger and you have my grip. I used to leave my finger pointed out a little big but doing it with a fist grip makes me feel like I get more distance out of it since I have less constant contact with the flight plate.
That is also what I do.