• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OH distance

daveob3

What do you guys think is the best OH (tomahawk) disc for pure distance? OH is the main part of my game, and I can tomahawk my Champ Eagle 260-275 consistently with accuracy. Would I be able to get more distance out of something like an XXX or Banshee?

A disc like the XXX has more OH distance potential than the eagle. More overstable discs take longer to flip (or whatever you call the flight path of OH shots) and therefore have the ability to get more distance from that throwing style.

I tend to use my Firebird, but I can only get it out to 220' or so. I have friends who can bomb 300-350' Tomahawks with just about any disc you put in their hands.

I have always been told that overstable drivers are the best for OH, but I think that understable stuff can work just fine as long as you know that the flight path will be different and adjust accordingly.

As Russell said the more stable the disc the longer it takes to "roll" in the air, I started throwing a Trident OH and could get it about 250-280. Then moved up to a XXX and got it about 280-320. I recently started OH-ing a Asia Open Champ Glow Firebird which is stooopid flat and stable about a month ago and have been putting it out 350+ at times!

I don't throw OH unless its the right shot. but sometimes its alot of fun to out throw my buddies with a Stupid far OH! Its a great shot that can save you alot of strokes if you use it right.

I think though finding something that feels good in your hand and you are confident in is much more important than trying what other people suggest, if you like the Eagle stick with it and learn to throw it exactly where you want it, that will benefit you more than trying to learn a whole new disc.

Of course this is all IMO, good luck!

If you want to really bomb thumbers I would recommend a very light Champion Firebird. I have 158 CE that I bring out when I know I may require a very long thumber and I can really launch it and I don't have a great arm. I played first base for a reason :D.

Hands down the longest Overhand disc is the Epic. I know a few OH dominant players that carry an array of Epics tuned to go in different directions.

However, in terms of the traditional OH throw, it seems a lot of the pros throw slow, very overstable stuff. Schwebby throw a Star Whippet-X I think.

Hands down the longest Overhand disc is the Epic. I know a few OH dominant players that carry an array of Epics tuned to go in different directions.

However, in terms of the traditional OH throw, it seems a lot of the pros throw slow, very overstable stuff. Schwebby throw a Star Whippet-X I think.

Schwebby is a Firebird man. I imagine a Whippet for thumbing would only come out in very special occasions, if at all, because of the disc shape how overstable it is.

If you want to really bomb thumbers I would recommend a very light Champion Firebird. I have 158 CE that I bring out when I know I may require a very long thumber and I can really launch it and I don't have a great arm. I played first base for a reason :D.

I had one thinking it might be good but it got blown away by my 167 Z Flick.

Now, I have 150 Z Flicks but I haven't OHed them yet. Hoping they work out because I got rid of the 167 when I saw my fresh Z Pred doing fine, just a little shorter on OH, but then the Pred seems to have beat in a bit and is flipping over a bit early at the spot I usually throw it causing it to catch the top of the trees Im throwing over just killing my D. Need it to make it over that first line of trees first, then it can flip all it wants.

Not to mention I love the skippiness of the flat Z Flicks along with their leaf slicing ability.

Flicks are a little too shallow for my giant-sized hands. My Firebird does the trick, though.

You going tommy or thumber? Just gotta hook that thumb is all for a thumber, But I did like Banshees more for tommies.

Why would an Epic or a Whippet be better for thumbers than a very fast, very overstable disc like the Xcaliber?

I have also been told to throw this shot like you are throwing a football(reach back behind your ear)... and to have the top edge of the disc leaning in towards you rather than straight up and down or away from you to get max D.

This info is from one of TN's finest and our local expert on thumbers.

Thoughts, comments?

I throw FB for distance thumbers (hit about 275-285 consistently). I just bought a Flick the other day but I havent gotten to try it out as I dont throw that many thumbers.

Why would an Epic or a Whippet be better for thumbers than a very fast, very overstable disc like the Xcaliber?

I have also been told to throw this shot like you are throwing a football(reach back behind your ear)... and to have the top edge of the disc leaning in towards you rather than straight up and down or away from you to get max D.

This info is from one of TN's finest and our local expert on thumbers.

Thoughts, comments?

Maybe its because I live in NC and my thumbers only come when blocked by trees but both the Epic and Whippet seem like bad thumber disc to me. Epic because it is a novelty thing though I'm sure someone will get all hot and defend it. Whippit because the thing is so overstable and domey it is only going to be useful in certain situations. Just my .02.

Oh and I believe the Xcalibur has too big of a rim for many to try and thumb successfully.

I had one thinking it might be good but it got blown away by my 167 Z Flick.

Now, I have 150 Z Flicks but I haven't OHed them yet. Hoping they work out because I got rid of the 167 when I saw my fresh Z Pred doing fine, just a little shorter on OH, but then the Pred seems to have beat in a bit and is flipping over a bit early at the spot I usually throw it causing it to catch the top of the trees Im throwing over just killing my D. Need it to make it over that first line of trees first, then it can flip all it wants.

Not to mention I love the skippiness of the flat Z Flicks along with their leaf slicing ability.

You going tommy or thumber? Just gotta hook that thumb is all for a thumber, But I did like Banshees more for tommies.
Thumbers but seriously, my hands and feet are freakishly large for my height. When I was trying flicks I could only get about a third of my thumb pad under the rim.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gigantor.jpg
    gigantor.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 109
Schwebby is a Firebird man. I imagine a Whippet for thumbing would only come out in very special occasions, if at all, because of the disc shape how overstable it is.

I think he throw Whippets for D OH's because of how overstable they are. Generally, the more OS discs turn super slow, so the harder you can throw them, the more D you get out of them.

Maybe its because I live in NC and my thumbers only come when blocked by trees but both the Epic and Whippet seem like bad thumber disc to me. Epic because it is a novelty thing though I'm sure someone will get all hot and defend it. Whippit because the thing is so overstable and domey it is only going to be useful in certain situations. Just my .02.

Oh and I believe the Xcalibur has too big of a rim for many to try and thumb successfully.

The Epic's only real use is for overhands. It's off centered rim allows it to flip to flat and penetrate like a FH and BH throw while being thrown OH. It's the only real disc that will do it.

I forgot the other important tip Mt. Man said...

Make a finger gun, your thumb is up, and your index finger is pointing out. Now do this while you are doing your thumber but pull the thumb down tight to press the disc into your hand. Your index finger provides added support and your thumb is getting a better grip because the disc is actually seated against your middle finger with the thumb pressing down firmly.

I'm just a novice at throwing these guys, but it is another tool in my belt that I am adding in 2011. I've used thumbers in tournament situations this year to get up and over things, as upshots when I just wanted the disc to sit in big winds, and as a short drive technique in tailwinds on short holes with OB behind the basket. I think the thumber is a great weapon to have and want to increase my overall distance above the 250' I am at now.

Last edited: