• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

O'Hauser

WIGS

Can anyone tell me whats going on at ohauser? When will the public be able to play?

Grand Opening tourney on June 30. I think the Appleton disc club site has info. I don't know the link. It's going to be a 4 rated layout; with difference from short to short to long to long being something like 4,700 ft. to 8,200 foot. I think it's going to be in long placements for the tourney; or perhaps they'll move them in between rounds; not sure.

Course will be pay to play after that.

just read the updated course review today. Opens 7/2 (today)

heading up from Sheboygan to play. Can't wait!

For anyone reading my notes above; should be noted that long to long is 6200 ft; but, it's a rather tough 6,200 ft. with mostly wooded fairways. Still has a new layout feel and you'll want to stay on the fairways as the schule is pretty unforgiving; but, course is very playable.

Pin placements primarily in the shorts at the moment.

Yep, i played in the grand opening tourney. Played it 5 times friday thru sunday for the touney then played it one more time to go around and get all the hole info for DGCR. It is a really really nice course. But like tallpaul said stay on the fairways, as the shule is pretty damn rough right now.

Despite the second review of the new O'Hauser design giving it a 2.5 rating; I would like to note that I just received a phone call from the designer; Rich Martin. The tourney, on the weekend payed out @$450 to the singles winner; a California player; who was in town for some reason; Bill Dickens.

And, even more importantly, in addition to a number of season passes which have been purchased; O'Hauser generated $900 in the first three days of operation; in 90 degree heat, at $3 a head!!! So, evidently, many are liking the new layout!

I believe benches can be expected on the many of the holes as soon as possible. 100% of income is projected to be put back into the course.

*Unfortunately, deer have devoured the hops that were planted to grow along the fencing left near the tee for #1* :(

Last edited:
Despite the second review of the new O'Hauser design giving it a 2.5 rating; I would like to note that I just received a phone call from the designer; Rich Martin. The tourney, on the weekend payed out @$450 to the singles winner; a California player; who was in town for some reason; Bill Dickens.

And, even more importantly, in addition to a number of season passes which have been purchased; O'Hauser generated $900 in the first three days of operation; in 90 degree heat, at $3 a head!!! So, evidently, many are liking the new layout!

I believe benches can be expected on the many of the holes as soon as possible. 100% of income is projected back into the course.

I was shocked by the 2.5 disc rating in that second review. I was hoping that I could upgrade because I though the original Ohauser was overrated. It was a good challenging course but it felt contrived and lacked some of the beauty I expect out of 4 disc courses.

I can't wait to see what it looks like now even though it just got a lower rating. I am sure with it going pay to play it will be better than before . . . and it will be better than the day it re-opened too!

I guess I should also note that a 57 (which is current course record) won the singles; from gold or blue tees (whichever was the longest tee available for each hole). So, +3 with the pins almost all in the shorts. All holes have two pins positions, and nine of the 18 have a third, even tougher pin placement. In other words, par is heck of a score for any of the layouts.

And yet....short to short (red tees) is only a little over 4,000 ft.....

People playing short tees to short pins at the tournament shot in the 40s, so it's not like the course doesn't provide birdie opportunities, depending on how challenging you'd like it to play. I played opening weekend and it made me want to come back.

Yes, it's one of the strengths of the course...there is variety for skill levels. Rich, who is 63 years old, shot well from the reds today, in a bsd format and helped his partner....the rest of us were playing blues.
Tough out there from the nine gold tees; no ace runs really, and few birds, but, that's what tourney tees are for. Blue tees have a decent mix, with a number being reachable. The numbers continue pouring in there, with many being noob players; but despite a few disgruntled customers, the overall vibe is great for the new layout. Seasonal passes are already in the 70s after one week; and day play is averaging near 100 per day...

Needs another redesign. Really sad they ruined the old course. I had no idea what to rate it in my review because I love how the course looks appearance wise and that it is pay to play but how the holes play is just awful. I had it rated lower at first but it just looks so nice that I couldn't put it lower.

O'Hauser was a big talking point at the tournament at zobel this weekend and just about everyone I talked to (much of the advanced division and several open players, people that know what a good course is) that have played it was hating on it and saying it sucked so I know I am not the only one. Lots of comments saying to not even play the golds because they are a joke and they wondered how us locals let Rich do that to the course. I know he has good intentions but I think it is times to let someone else design courses for the fox valley even if it does cost us more.

I love challenging courses but they have to be fair. I love zobel and if I were to right a review for it I would give it a 4 or 4.5 without a doubt and it is very challenging but yet you still can succeed (besides maybe 2 holes that are more luck based) but O'Hauser is just full of dumb shots that aren't realistic and it has 3 or 4 holes that are just completely throw and pray which shouldn't exist on any course. An attempt at placement golf was done on a few holes but there is no reward for the placement as you have to get lucky to even get there and it is followed by another dumb throw. They either need to find a way to move the pads or they need to start hacking down a ton of trees to make it throwable. The pads are an entire other issue too. Why they are not brushed still confuses the hell out of me.

Also, that is not what tournament tees are for. Tees like that are not good for anything but pissing people off.

TLDR: I want the old course back including the asphalt teepads.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to playing the new design. Unfortunately, I'm living in Wyoming for the summer. The person who posts photos of the course will be my new best friend.

I don't anticipate being disappointed by the design. The old course was mediocre at best.

Top players are going to be the ones giving the course a hard time; but, don't they always? With that said, the old version of O'Hauser was not really "well liked" or, I guess I should say that top players tended to rant on that (as they tend to do, with all of Rich's designs; which is partially politicallly based) layout as well. All the same, strong fields came to events there; and scoring showed that it was a tough course to play on; and grew on everyone over time; as I think the new layout will also.

There does need to be some widening of fairways on the course. As Rich said 20 times today; if I had more volunteers...., yeah, that fairway would have been cleared better. Will happen; work days out there most Sundays...there's always Telulah, Plamann, Grignon, Rollin' Ridge, etc. if you want "fairways." Gold tees are pretty quirky; but provide some of the more interesting looks right off the tees that I've ever seen. Rich, though he catches grief for it, actually tends to be a trend setter in that regard. Trees around the greens; which was taboo, not that long ago; and which, he has taken a lot of grief for, is becoming more the norm; as designers try to make green areas tougher....

Choice of tee texture was one of those "Rich's choice" kind of things. Experiment seemed to show they held up very well in wet conditions. We will have to see to some extent. Players ranted on the black top tees; but I thought they were very serviceable and equal to most cememt tees. You can never win as a designer; with everyone...."top players" want to chuck far on most holes; and personally, that's my least favorite style of design.

Zoebel does a very fine job of joining distance and accuracy and deserves high respect for it's design. It's one of the better layouts in the state. Pat Blake gets a high five for his contributions there. He's a bright young designer; who contributed up at High Bridge, when he was quite young.

Last edited:
I must agree, the course is aesthetically pleasing but doesn't deliver the quality of play that I was expecting. Many of the shots call for a 100 foot straight shot followed by another 200 foot shot in a completely different direction to put you in the circle for your three on a "par 3" hole. I am speaking purely from a gold tee perspective because that is all I have played so far. It's just disappointing when half of the gold tees point you directly into the side of the fairway of the shorter tees from about 100 feet back, it doesn't offer any additional challenge, just an additional shot that usually makes birding the hole nearly impossible.

I do like the idea of a pay to play course in the area and I love all of the benches, teepads and the maintenance done on the course but I can't get over the actual holes...

Just my 2 cents.

Can't wait to play the new layout! :thmbup: :cool:

Rich would get a lot more volunteers if he would actually listen to people suggestions and input but it feels like worthless work when your opinion does not matter at all. And Top players may be the ones who complain about courses the most, but they are also normally the more experienced players and the ones who can or should be able to perform the shots to know whether a hole is fair or not. I hope that it gets better because the potential is there, but right now it is not enjoyable at all.

I am a rec player that is not impressed with the layout. I started playing disc golf in 1997 when O'Hauser was the closest course to me being from Oshkosh. Back then is when the new holes #15, #16 & #17 were put into place in the woods along with a few other changes being making old hole #2 (New #6), #10 (New #12) #6 (New #10) and such tougher. I spent many of days making the fairway by hand on what is new #15 (old #14) which also had a longer pin placement inside the circle of trees which made for a freakin pretty pin placement that quickly was placed 20 feet closer to the run of the mill fox valley boring green. New #16 (old #15) took a year or better to become a good hole to play due to the lack of grooming early on in comparison. Through the next couple years old #11, #12 (basically new #13) & #13 came into play. Those changes made it a tough course that was visually pleasing yet still very playable. Now the course still maybe visually pleasing, but almost half of the holes are ridiculous. I love Zobel and I just played Standing Rocks for the 1st time last Sunday and while it maybe easier to run most of the holes at both courses it is still tough enough to punish an errant shot. At the new O'Hauser a perfect shot can still be punishable because of it's poor fairways and tee placements.

There is no one I have had conversations with that really enjoy the course. Everyone tried out the course and paid the money of course, but many will not return until the course has matured. There is a couple Menasha players that come down to Oshkosh to play in the city club league nights and are coming down more often now due to the fact of it just not being skill friendlily.

Sucky players don't care if the course is hard. They just care if they can catch a glimpse of if a throw does what is intended they can be rewarded for it!

Latest posts