• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OK , I am pissed at ESPN

Crazy I was going to start this thread myself....I was watching all the drama re Dave Letterman and I got to thinking how many silly people get on the show for crazy skills.....Imagine Dave Wiggins challenging Dave to some urban disc golf in the street..like Dave always goes out and does something athletic in the street.....Imagine Wiggins throwing a 500 footer down the street and Dave shanking a throw....I think that would be coool! Probably just would take a little persistence and effort to get some pro with a personality on there...**** Nikko is at least cool to look at I'm sure he could pull it off. Do any of these pros ever try to blow themselves up or are they all the PDGA's bitches?

Actually was just daydreaming about disc golf as usual and the letterman saga was on the news....I don t really care if it blows up I prefer it low key and the every man nature of the sport.....If it blows up it will only help the disc companies and a few elite pros. Everyone else will long for the good old days!

Its not going to be on ESPN until people start looking at it as a sport, and not something potheads do while they are high...

If you dont think thats what people think about disc golf, ASK

Table tennis makes total sense!! Consider the cost to cover a disc golf tournament really well. And I mean how it needs to be seen, like a PGA event with even better video of the disc flight. Now consider setting up a single camera at a ping pong table (or bowling lane) with one, maybe, two extra cameras for other shots.
Much different amount of cameras, filmers, logistics, etc. and the cost is not even comparable.

Disc golf is quite expensive to film/cover really well (like ESPN would want to). You think the the Nature Boy videos would go over on ESPN? 1% of the viewer would have seizures!

I mean in previous threads people mentioned playing in sanctioned PDGA tournaments and seeing players smoking weed. How is ESPN or anyone else going to take us seriouly when our best players smoke weed at tournaments, let alone alone on a course? Unless we make a change, no one will accept us as a real sport.
It bears mentioning that the most far and away openly used "drug" at tournaments and other disc golf outings is liquid, often barley malt based, and is perfectly legal for people 21 and older to buy and consume. Some of the implications of that (namely rowdy player behavior, and litter strewn about the course) to me are doing more to keep sponsorship away than the association with pot is.

did anyone see espn e60 on noodling tonite? should get jeremy schap to come out to the course and get a good story out there of disc golf to show others it is a sport.

I was thinking we should do that, I want to write an article for Trib or DesNews about it n maybe even go shoot some stuff with prodigy cameras to submit to news channels around here ... good idea or no?

Crazy I was going to start this thread myself....I was watching all the drama re Dave Letterman and I got to thinking how many silly people get on the show for crazy skills.....Imagine Dave Wiggins challenging Dave to some urban disc golf in the street..like Dave always goes out and does something athletic in the street.....Imagine Wiggins throwing a 500 footer down the street and Dave shanking a throw....I think that would be coool! Probably just would take a little persistence and effort to get some pro with a personality on there...**** Nikko is at least cool to look at I'm sure he could pull it off. Do any of these pros ever try to blow themselves up or are they all the PDGA's bitches?
Feldberg was on Conan 5/2/2007.

I won't even pile on to the whole legalization of weed issue. It is too complicated an argument to win or lose on a disc golf website. My only contribution to this thread is F*** the media and their approval or support of disc golf or any other sport. They have proven themselves as a group to be as corrupt and degenerate as both our big political parties and most of our gangs and organizeed crime syndicates. Screw them. Bunch of elitist snobs and pseudointellectuals that took the easiest degree they could get so they could get their muggs on TV or in the paper. Most of the one's I have met are dumb as a stump. I really don't want their acceptance.

Apologies to any disc-chucking media members reading this.

AND, years ago I was a semi-competitve bass fisherman (yes, I know!) out in CA. The bigger that sport gets and the more ESPN gets its hooks into it the worse it gets, and the more A - holes get involved. The only side benefit is more prize money, sales and revenue so there is now tons of great high-end equipment. No thanks. I'll take my ****ty plastic and nice empty course's and not worry about if my local TV sports caster gives a **** about me or my sport.

Drink your beer, smoke your weed and go throw. Don't worry about mass acceptance. It won't help the cause.

I mean in previous threads people mentioned playing in sanctioned PDGA tournaments and seeing players smoking weed. How is ESPN or anyone else going to take us seriouly when our best players smoke weed at tournaments, let alone alone on a course? Unless we make a change, no one will accept us as a real sport.

And I am not changing the thread topic, this is what we need to do to be accepted by the media as a legit sport. Oh and I agree if the Country changes its stand across the board and taxes and regulates it then it becomes a non issue. But that time is not now and its not nearly as close as you make it sound, so until then this is what we need to do to help our sport grow. One of the most importanat things we can do is to shake off a very negative image.

It bears mentioning that the most far and away openly used "drug" at tournaments and other disc golf outings is liquid, often barley malt based, and is perfectly legal for people 21 and older to buy and consume. Some of the implications of that (namely rowdy player behavior, and litter strewn about the course) to me are doing more to keep sponsorship away than the association with pot is.

I would rather the sport stays where it's at rather than have the whole DG community try to cater to what ESPN or any other media outlet wants us to be. I say NO to selling out. I'm all for the G4 idea because I think they will take us as we are.

The only difference between DG and other sports in regards to drugs is that they hide it better. Baseball has always had a lot of drugs, even before PED's there was "greenies" and other uppers. Some on the best players in baseball history were alcoholics. I can't remember his name, but the guy that threw a no hitter in the world series was so hungover at the time he could hardly see. LT used to do coke on NFL sidelines during Giants games through an inhaler. Not to mention the pain killer abuse that goes on.

but we can't hide who we are because "frissbees" will ALWAYS be known as something hippies do. And I couldn't care less. I'm no hippie, but I do smoke the wacky tabbacky now and again, just as I partake in drinking a few beers on the course when the urge takes me.

And we don't need to go "big time" in order to get national acceptance. Look at softball. It's a bunch of old men drinking beer playing a game that used to be just for girls. Now EVERYONE plays softball. Is there a pro-softball league? I have no idea, so if there is one I guess that tells you how successful it is.

guys, love the sport for what it is, not for what it never will be.

At a tourney a guy warned me not to toss my disc back to my bag....

He was hitting his glass pipe with everyone on the card...

Maybe he just thought you had a glass piece and didn't want you to break it with a disc. Keeping a piece in my bag is the biggest reason I haven't kicked the sh-t out of it yet- I have some anger sometimes.

On Sunday, I was scrolling through the channels. It was raining, so I couldn't go out and play. I came to ESPN and they had on Table Tennis. TABLE TENNIS?:confused:

They will run that and they will not show some clips from Disc Golf Monthly? Heck its already produced, all they have to do is run the tape? Damn it , that makes no sense.

.....but table tennis is an Olympic game:D

It would have some benefits

Personally, I think the biggest draw to the sport is that it isn't big.

Here is some things that would happen if disc golf got big:
1) No free play
2) People getting way too serious about the sport, creating a dress code, etc. - turning it into Golf
3) Courses would get so damn crowded that you would have to arrange a time in advance to play - turning it into golf
4) Many more

Personally, I hope it stays the way it is so that I can enjoy the sport at my leisure without hurting my wallet

It would definitely mean the end of free play and supply and demand as always would kick in and the best courses would be the most expensive to play. The most extreme dress code that I could see is no cut of shirts, which is what most of us play in during the hotter months. This would mean that bringing extra water would be more weight to lug around when your body temp is already higher than normal because you can't wear a cut off T. Would this affect the private courses? I think if this does happen that we should vote down the top 20 so that they will be less to play.;) we could put Conjoe valley YMCA in 1st and go from there.:D 1 pro that I can think of is that it would catch on with all types of people. I bet some EPIC!!! courses would start popping up with more people comes more money. I bet you would have some rich newbie golfers that would try to buy their way onto the top 10 list. They would have to look for some prime DG land. enough acres for multiple courses that come in dif styles and levels of difficulty. I think more get away places like Highbridge would pop up also. If it's big then there will be Disc Golf resort like destinations. these destinations would have to compete with each other which would be better for the disc golfers that could afford it. I guess this would make it less of an every mans sport than it is currently. :mad:

I think if we could get some health nuts like those people on TV selling some disc golf starter kits on infomercials, that would be great.

I have been seriously thinking about writing to Dr. Laura and Dr OZ. I heard the other day on Dr Laura, a woman calling in wanting to get her kid to get more exercise but he didn't like to play baseball or football. The told her to take him our for a run or walk. Just imagine if Dr Laura told this lady to take her kid to go play some Disc Golf? From what I understand she has 3-6 million listeners to her show every day. That would really help grow the sport.

I think it going to contiue to grow and more courses come along with that growth. free play is a huge draw for people and don't for see a majority of courses making people pay for play.

maybe I could give dsic lesson in conjunture with ball golf lessons I give.

The problem is sponsorship. A major TV station isn't going to air a sporting event without major sponsorship.

It has nothing to do with DG players smoking weed. Many professional athletes who play football, basketball, snowboard, swim, etc smoke marijuana. Many of these professionals use harder drugs than marijuana.

It has nothing to do with DG being a "new" sport that's not popular enough. DG has been around as long as skateboarding, snowboarding etc, but these other sports have one thing DG doesn't have....major sponsorship.

Get Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Nike or some other big corporate names to back DG, and you'll see it on TV.

Get Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Nike or some other big corporate names to back DG, and you'll see it on TV.

How about Trojan?

"Stop f'n around and go disc golf"

Latest posts