• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OK place to start for a newbie??

skroll116

I am very new to the sport and have only thrown 4 times now, but am hooked. Figured I would get out more if I owned my own discs so tried to research the best I could, but it really seems like everyone likes something different.
I am still learning proper technique (RHBH) so distance is at a minimum right now. Tried to get a few different options regarding weight. The below is what I have in my bag and I am beginning to find what I like, but want to know if I am on the right path.

Thanks for any feedback

All discs are Discraft for now.

Drivers-

Nuke SS Z 168g - Have learned to not touch this disc for now
Xpress Z 166g -
Eclipse Pro D 164g - Seems to be my go to driver for now

Mids -

Buzzz Z 169g -
Buzzz-SS Z 172g -
Comet Z 175g - Am liking this one the most so far

Putters -

Rattler Pro D 170g - Use outside 10ft
Putt'r X 174g - Use inside 10ft

My suggestion would be to switch to one putter for now. Concentrate on developing a consistent form and routine. Once you have your putting style set, then you can mess around with different putters.
The difference between inside 10 ft. and outside 10 ft. is minimal. Pick one putter for both situations, and "get to know" that putter.

Welcome aboard!! And yes, you about to get hammered with 8 million suggestions! I would go:
Xpress or Eclipse
Z Buzzz
Comet (I would pick up an X, just my personal preference)
Pick a putter
maybe add a DX Teebird for windier days & go have some fun
just my opinion & not even worth $.02!

you're off to a good start. stick to the buzzs/comet/eclipse for a few months and work on getting those out to 250-300'. how far are you throwing now?

I really have no idea how far I am throwing now. Three of the four courses I have played have been heavily wooded and last didn't have distance marked.

What is the best way to determine how far you are throwing?

find a football or soccer field. or measure out a short distance (20-30') and then pace it out. that will give you a rough estimate when you go to the course or a field.

I really have no idea how far I am throwing now. Three of the four courses I have played have been heavily wooded and last didn't have distance marked.

What is the best way to determine how far you are throwing?

Don't worry about distance right now, just concentrate on getting the disc to fly straight and flat.
Find a field and throw a bunch of practice shots.
Stick to one putter, the one that feels best in your hand.
Realize that you're gonna get super frustrated, but keep coming back for more.
Always have fun!
:hfive:

This is perfect.

Yep, keep it simple when you're starting out. Take these three discs and learn them, love them.
Don't worry about distance, score and all that.
Just learn to throw different shots, learn how to throw them consistently, smoother and farther, and most of all, HAVE FUN! :hfive:

Latest posts