• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okay - How big is a good tee box?

Ideal Concrete Tee Box Size

• 4x8

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 4x10

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • 4x12

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • 5x8

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 5x10

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • 5x12

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • 6x10

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 6x12

Votes: 35 27.8%

• Total voters

srm_520

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Another poll question since I'm looking for as much input as possible before any final decisions are made. We want concrete tees, but how big is perfect?

I don't think size or cost are an issue, so this is pure personal preference.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I think the bigger the better. The best I've played on was at Giles Run, which are either 5x10 or 5x12, and they are sweet. Flush to the ground as well. Sometimes the width gets over looked more than the length, but I think bother are equally as important.

Some of the worse have been because they weren't long enough, usually the older courses, but I've seen it in on newer ones as well.

So my recommendation is to err on too big, then not big enough. I hope that helps.

From what I can tell 1.5m x 3.0m (5'x12') is the recommended size for a typical tee box. You might go a bit longer on for a really long hole.

Also consider adding concrete in front of the tee line/foot fault line so that follow through steps are also on level concrete. Another 2-3' is nice for that.

ERic

ERicJ is right, the PDGA advises that a tee box should be a minimum of 5"x12". They suggest a longer pad for longer holes. I'm not sure I like the idea of a foot fault line, simply because if its painted on, it can wear in time, if not repainted often, which might lead to controversey. "you crossed the line", "no I didn't the line is worn, you can't tell if I did or not". Just my 2 cents on the FF line.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a foot fault line, simply because if its painted on, it can wear in time, if not repainted often, which might lead to controversey. "you crossed the line", "no I didn't the line is worn, you can't tell if I did or not". Just my 2 cents on the FF line.
As an alternative to painting, which could wear, you make an impression/indention in the concrete when it's poured for the foot fault line.

If you don't have a solid follow through area off the front of a concrete tee pad it will almost certainly get worn down over time and ultimately lead to a nice rut (or puddle) that you fall into off the end of the concrete after your run-up throw.

ERic

At Flip City I went 10' long, with 5' tapering to 4'. I added a half round to the end for running off. I use concrete dye for the foul line. I carved out cement at the foul line then filled it in with colored cement. A local course here don`t have run off cement at the end of the tees. In less than 1 year there are holes at the end of the tee boxes. Here the grass is still growing at the end of the tees.

Bill, nicely done. How much "overhang" do you have past the fault line? And is that included in your 10' length?

About 32", thats past the 10'. So your looking at about 13 and a half feet long. I posted a sign at the first tee about the foul lines. At the 2 state tournys here last summer, the TD let people step on the line, but not go past it throwing. The line ended being about 1" wide all the way acrossed the pad.

At Flip City I went 10' long, with 5' tapering to 4'. I added a half round to the end for running off. I use concrete dye for the foul line. I carved out cement at the foul line then filled it in with colored cement. A local course here don`t have run off cement at the end of the tees. In less than 1 year there are holes at the end of the tee boxes. Here the grass is still growing at the end of the tees.

Can you post a good picture of this?

The pics from the course review don't show the concrete real well. One does show it sorta of. If you wanted to you could post a design on the web and change how everyone installs tee pads. The Flip City Tee Pad Design.

I prefer wider and with ample room to follow through without fear of falling or tripping....I think some of the longer tees are a bit of overkill....12 feet is plenty most of the distance in a good throw is generated from the snap and twist not the run up....I also think concrete is often a mistake...once it is in there is not much chance to change or alter the course. I have seen courses where a tree falls or there is gradual clearing from play and a hole changes it becomes dull etc...in these instances it would be nice to move the tee? right

Sorry bout the thread drift.....I will stick to wider is more important than longer..if you have no restrictions do both...but if I had to choose I'd go wide before extra long.

I think an area to follow through is most important on those off the cliff-elevated tees....There is a hole I love but everytime I play it I am afraid I will tumble off the tee and fall off.....I think the worn grass and subsequent damage is also a good reason to simply design a tee with a follow through area...Bill's pic looks good

I think the bigger the better. The best I've played on was at Giles Run, which are either 5x10 or 5x12, and they are sweet. Flush to the ground as well. Sometimes the width gets over looked more than the length, but I think bother are equally as important.

The teepads at Giles Run are actually 6x15 with a rough sidewalk finish.
Although they appear to be level, they are actually sloped on a 5% grade front to back or back to front to improve drainage. Each tee area also incorporates a level 6 foot run up area in the back with 3 feet of level space on each of the remaining sides. Overall level dimensions for each tee area is 12 x 24. The red tee on hole three required 3 1/2 dumptruck loads of dirt (approximately 42 cubic yards) to meet these standards and return to grade on the hillside. The white tee on hole four required a 5 foot tall by 25 foot long retaining wall. Fairfax County Park Authority followed the Innova tee installation specs to the letter.

The teepads at Giles Run are actually 6x15 with a rough sidewalk finish.
Although they appear to be level, they are actually sloped on a 5% grade front to back or back to front to improve drainage. Each tee area also incorporates a level 6 foot run up area in the back with 3 feet of level space on each of the remaining sides. Overall level dimensions for each tee area is 12 x 24. The red tee on hole three required 3 1/2 dumptruck loads of dirt (approximately 42 cubic yards) to meet these standards and return to grade on the hillside. The white tee on hole four required a 5 foot tall by 25 foot long retaining wall. Fairfax County Park Authority followed the Innova tee installation specs to the letter.

I stand corrected :p, can I change my vote??? Since they are so new, it will be interesting to see how the frost/thaw cycle effects them, if at all. If you ever get a chance, you should make a trip and see them for yourself. Or get in contact with the course designer, Timber, for more specifications.

Fairfax County Park Authority followed the Innova tee installation specs to the letter.

You live in a generous county. In some parts of the country, people have to scrape and beg to get something other than "natural" pads. I'm used to "natural", but it encourages erosion.

The bigger, the better. It gives you more room to work with. The best tee pads that I've ever seen were circular and about 15 feet in diameter in Albuquerque, NM at Brent Baca Memorial. They were awesome and gave you all sorts of options for your approach.