• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okay - How big is a good tee box?

Ideal Concrete Tee Box Size

• 4x8

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 4x10

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • 4x12

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • 5x8

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 5x10

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • 5x12

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • 6x10

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 6x12

Votes: 35 27.8%

• Total voters
he is in a wealthy county, but there was a ton of scraping and begging to get anything done there. if i had had to deal with all the stuff timber did in the course of getting that course in the ground i would've walked away.

If I had to vote 'ideally' amongst the given options, 6'x12' is the only way to go, even though in most cases, it's more than necessary, and in reality, more than most parks departments/DG clubs can afford.

In actuality, I find shape is actually just as important as size. The teepads at my local course are trapezoidal, but they get narrower at the front, I'd actually prefer they get wider at the front because I tend to approach the tee line somewhat laterally for BH throws.

One thing that really bothers me is when a concrete tee pad is installed at a funny angle to the fairway, aiming off into the shule rather than down the fairway. I see this even more at ball golf courses, and it usually causes me to line up off-center and hit/throw my drive into the shule.

I like the look of Bill at Flip's teebox's, but looking at other various courses - here are some other cool shapes and ideas. What about gravel in front of the concrete box instead of extra concrete?

Here are some other variations for boxes. No wonder some people hate playing concrete - there a lot of crappy looking boxes out there. To thin, short, or just crap.

Circle Tees - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=398&mode=gal#

Bill at Flip design - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=468&mode=gal#

Astroturf - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=1322&mode=gal#

Interesting - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=252&mode=gal#

Extra conrete for your bag - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=423&mode=gal#

12' is too short.
Seneca's teepads are 4'x14' with 2' on either side and 3' behind for run up. even they are sometime considered too narrow by people who like to run up from the side.

Bottom line - make your teepads flush with grade, to avoid stepping up on to, or down off of - and they will suit the most people regardless of size.

..The best tee pads that I've ever seen were circular and about 15 feet in diameter in Albuquerque, NM at Brent Baca Memorial. They were awesome and gave you all sorts of options for your approach.
I love this idea. I hate to get 'boxed in'. haha

..In actuality, I find shape is actually just as important as size. The teepads at my local course are trapezoidal, but they get narrower at the front, I'd actually prefer they get wider at the front because I tend to approach the tee line somewhat laterally for BH throws.
I 2nd this opinion that it should be wider at the front

In actuality, I find shape is actually just as important as size. The teepads at my local course are trapezoidal, but they get narrower at the front, I'd actually prefer they get wider at the front because I tend to approach the tee line somewhat laterally for BH throws.

I imagine that they are smaller in the front to "guide" players in the correct direction.

I do agree that they would be better the other direction

The best teepads double as potential foundations for houses. I realize it isn't always practical to have a concrete mixer truck visit your course during installation, but it sure is nice when it works out that way. The bigger it is, the better.

Flip City and Expo Park in Aurora, CO are the best I've seen. In my review for Expo I wrote that you can do the hokey-pokey, turn yourself around, and still have room for a decent X-step. It's neat actually, the teepads have all of the hole information engraved in them which takes away the need for signs.

So the real trick isn't deciding how big to make them, but finding the space to put in really good ones.

So the real trick isn't deciding how big to make them, but finding the space to put in really good ones.

That makes sense to me. The poorly thought out and implemented pads seem to wind up with holes in front of them and chunks cracked off the edges. I guess that could also be the sign of a disc golf course that's played an awful lot.

The idea of a circular tee is nice. it doesn't really lead you in any direction. they are probably a heck of a lot more cement though.

What about tees on sloping holes where the natural grade it toward the basket, it can be difficult to get these tees level. I have played several that sloped on grade with the topography toward the basket and they were fine. Steep side slopes can be hard to get a wide tee installed level.

If it's flush with the ground it doesn't need to be as long cause you can start your run-up at any point behind the tee. But if it's on a hill and can't be flush, then it's nice when they're a little longer so you don't have to worry about breaking your ankle.

Unusual pads at Tyler are the best I have used!

I have only seen this style of teepad at Tyler State Park in PA. They are a trapezoid shape. They are wider at the backend than the front and are large. Allowing you to stay on the pad even when you are going across it instead of straight down. It made for great footing. My dream course has these on it.

The picture helps but is not the best.

ab8c0d5c.jpg

I have only seen this style of teepad at Tyler State Park in PA. They are a trapezoid shape. They are wider at the backend than the front and are large. Allowing you to stay on the pad even when you are going across it instead of straight down. It made for great footing. My dream course has these on it.

The picture helps but is not the best.

ab8c0d5c.jpg

We have those in Kingwood, but they are in backwards, so they are wider in the front than in the back. They are also very wide:

Hole14.jpg

hole5.jpg

Hole2.jpg

The best teepads double as potential foundations for houses. I realize it isn't always practical to have a concrete mixer truck visit your course during installation, but it sure is nice when it works out that way. The bigger it is, the better.

Flip City and Expo Park in Aurora, CO are the best I've seen. In my review for Expo I wrote that you can do the hokey-pokey, turn yourself around, and still have room for a decent X-step. It's neat actually, the teepads have all of the hole information engraved in them which takes away the need for signs.

I agree. I love a large tee box and would love to see the ones on these courses.