• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
It's okay to use some small scissors and a fine comb to trim your eyebrows neatly.

My teenager daughter likes to "borrow" my trimming scissors for trimming her hair. I told her that I use them to keep my eyebrows, ear and nose hair in check. The scissors don't seem to go missing anymore.

My teenager daughter likes to "borrow" my trimming scissors for trimming her hair. I told her that I use them to keep my eyebrows, ear and nose hair in check. The scissors don't seem to go missing anymore.

You didn't say nads? Good on you.

When the wind blows into my ear hair I get hungry because I hear corn rustling. Or static.. It makes me irrationally upset when my honey tickles my ear hair...

I thought I made a deal with the universe.. I was totally cool with going bald as long as I didn't get excessive body hair.

Picked up a beard trimmer with a few different combs on the cheap several years ago. I don't have a beard but...

Works great for trimming eyebrows, and other body hair. For ears, I just use it without the a comb, to get in real tight.

So the usual ongoing debate about fairways, control and distance drivers.... I like to be ornery as much as the next guy but why bother!?

It's perspective, if you "need" a driver for a 250' hole you are either a noob or old. If you think that's laughable and it's putter distance you are in your 20's or 30's. Maybe an aging pro.

If you need a mid at 100' you're an idiot.

100' it's a toss up whether I'm throwing a mid or jumping a putter. No ceiling, jumping a putter. Ceiling, probably throwing a comet with a ton of spin and not much velocity at the pole.

100' it's a toss up whether I'm throwing a mid or jumping a putter. No ceiling, jumping a putter. Ceiling, probably throwing a comet with a ton of spin and not much velocity at the pole.

Yeah I used to think that anything outside the circle was Comet time.. I can kinda get behind a Comet and a low ceiling.

Played 18 with some friends on the weekend been discing forever, tons of fun, great company, etc... looked in their bag and watched their drivers for the 150' foot holes and thought.....

Don't think about it :D not your business!! Enjoy the sunshine.

You would think after 20yrs..... obviously a Comet is always acceptable but some of their choices were pretty bad, not Boss bad but halfway there. Haha great folks, just have fun... none of my business.

The older I get, the less I want to save the world...

Mids at 100'? Heck, I've thrown Firebirds from 50'.

When your previous bad shots leave your lie in a terrible predicament, there's no telling what sort of skip/roll/slide/desperate shot you're going to need next.

Trust me, I have a lot of experience with this.

Mids are my life savers at 100'. Take those away and my game us non-existent.

Putt and approach disc

That's what one of my playing buddies calls my XCal. Yes, an XCal. I don't actually putt with it, but I often throw it on 75-100 foot approach shots. It's comfortable in my hand, and I trust it as a RHFH in a way I don't other discs or throws. It used to bother me a little bit, but now, I just accept that I am going to throw what I like and am comfortable with.

A Z-Vulture I have drops and stays on a dime at 230'. (I Yes, I am nearing the age of 50.) I use it on some dogleg left holes where I should be throwing a Buzz or throwing a putter at max velocity, but I average fewer strokes when I use the Vulture. So I go with the Vulture. Something about the rim width jives with my fingers and hand. If I need a bonus skip with it, there's that too. I'm not going to question it. There's nothing against it in the PDGA rules manual, and in this sport there should be no stigmas associated with whatever round PDGA-approved projectile you choose to employ in the shot in front of you.

100ft from the basket, I'm reaching for my FLX Challenger.

...unless it's some strange situation, difficult lie, escape shot. At that point, everything in my bag is an option. All depends on what I think my best play is.

I have "go to" discs for certain recovery shots, but you never know what you're going to be faced with.

Mids at 100'? Heck, I've thrown Firebirds from 50'.

When your previous bad shots leave your lie in a terrible predicament, there's no telling what sort of skip/roll/slide/desperate shot you're going to need next.

Trust me, I have a lot of experience with this.

........aaannnndddddd a few hours later, I sealed today's win with a firebird from about 90'.

For exactly the reason I described earlier today.

So the usual ongoing debate about fairways, control and distance drivers.... I like to be ornery as much as the next guy but why bother!?

It's perspective, if you "need" a driver for a 250' hole you are either a noob or old. If you think that's laughable and it's putter distance you are in your 20's or 30's. Maybe an aging pro.

If you need a mid at 100' you're an idiot.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Is this meant to be sarcasm?

I'm definitely not a pro, over 40, and throw putters on some 250' holes. But I also sometimes throw drivers or fairways on 250' holes, mids at 100', and sometimes mids on 350'+ holes that I know I'm not going to birdie, so I play for control for my second shot.

Latest posts