• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Speed is generated in part by muscle. There's a very large part that is form that either hangs us up because we don't connect all the pieces well, or everything links together and our core muscles sync up with our arm at the right moment to give maximum acceleration. Being flexible and coordinated is more important than the power behind the muscle, but at least some power behind the muscle needs to be there.

Exactly what I'm getting at... I know I throw much better now, the appropriate discs and form tips and just information in general has greatly improved my game. The idea that "regular" dudes could throw a putter 300' or even 150' was a revelation.

Getting a putter out to 150 is fairly easy for me, even if my form is out of timing, or my back is messed up and it's an all arm shot with zero lower body.

The sidewinder is a very acceptable disc to underpower. Roadrunner, leopard, relay, etc.. Just not xcal and destroyers. I do play with a guy that flick putts a star 165 beast... I tried giving him a Buzzz as a gateway "putter" haha. Guy still nails it in dubs and I think he's the ace leader for stats this year....

I'm firmly in the old farts club at 53.
It's not the just age, it's the mileage of course.
I'm a high mileage 53, lol

Talking distances. That is what I notice the most.
At 53 with arthritis & broken vertebrae I don't throw too far any more.

I throw putters 180 comfortable, and can get 220.
I throw mids 220 comfortable and can hit 260. I throw spd 7 fairways 260 & can hit 300 occasionally but can't count on it.

Faster than 7 I just go out my 260-300 straight, then start counting sideways into the brush.

I don't gain anything besides a higher chance to get poison ivy, so I don't throw faster than 7.

It's perspective, if you "need" a driver for a 250' hole you are either a noob or old. If you think that's laughable and it's putter distance you are in your 20's or 30's. Maybe an aging pro.

Next month we're having a Masters-only tournament, and one hole starts with a 250' water carry.

I ought to put a sign on it, with this quote.

Fairly certain I hurt something in my right elbow last week playing a league round.

I can play multiple rounds in a day and do that almost every day and don't have any issues.

One of the joys of getting older I guess?

Going to take it easy and hope whatever it is heals up on its own but I may be playing in a tournament in two weeks so hopefully it will be better and hopefully I don't re-agrivate it.

I might actually play my first masters tournament this year, after stepping away for the last 2 seasons from competitive play (obvious reason here)

I'd be doing well to get 3 tournaments in, but even if I don't I still kind of feel like I can fulfill my disc golf needs playing casual and weekly league rounds.

I used to play tournaments to win and lay down great scores and aces (occasionally haha)

Now I play tournaments to see my friends.

I have said it here many times. I simply cherish the old man circles.....the ring of worn out, old guys, slipping in to sandals, sitting in comfortable lawn chairs, next to a cooler of their favorite post round beverage. They are my friends and it is a great joy to see them and catch up. Medical conditions, retirement, family and disc golf are all common topics of idle banter. We are lucky here to have a circle of about 18 or so guys that play to varying degrees. I only see a few once a season at an event, some I see at every one. We are all generally pretty competitive and have close skill sets on the course. This social interaction, with distancing easily maintained, was all the more important during the COVID years.

We have had an Alztimer's tag league in the past. A virtual bag tag club, encompassing players from around the state. Any time any of us meet or play at a tournament/league, tags were in play. End of the season party and tournament. COVID put it on hold. Hopefully we can revive it.

Fairly certain I hurt something in my right elbow last week playing a league round.

I can play multiple rounds in a day and do that almost every day and don't have any issues.

One of the joys of getting older I guess?

Going to take it easy and hope whatever it is heals up on its own but I may be playing in a tournament in two weeks so hopefully it will be better and hopefully I don't re-agrivate it.

Why I quit throwing overhand very much...

So I played a short 9 hole course today with my sons. Just played it through the one time. I am more sore than when I played Dogwood in Tyler 4 times in a day, and that was just 3-4 years ago.

It's amazing how quickly the body changes.

Anyway, just a grumpy old man complaining.

Get off my lawn and all that.

Why I quit throwing overhand very much...

Yeah. I used to look for excuses to throw overhands. Lately they only get thrown if absolutely necessary.

I did manage to play a round yesterday and today with only mild discomfort in my elbow. Something definitely isn't right but at least it looks like I can still play for now.

If there are any young people stalking this thread then I would like to tell them to avoid getting old for as long as they can.

Yeah. I used to look for excuses to throw overhands. Lately they only get thrown if absolutely necessary.

I did manage to play a round yesterday and today with only mild discomfort in my elbow. Something definitely isn't right but at least it looks like I can still play for now.

If there are any young people stalking this thread then I would like to tell them to avoid getting old for as long as they can.

This is some solid advice. The drop off may not be fast, but you know it when it hits! 55 here and elbow problems also. For last year and half I have only been able to play pitch and putt courses, and am OK with that. I reached a point where I don't really want to put my body through the ringer. Putters and mids are fun, lol.

This is some solid advice. The drop off may not be fast, but you know it when it hits! 55 here and elbow problems also. For last year and half I have only been able to play pitch and putt courses, and am OK with that. I reached a point where I don't really want to put my body through the ringer. Putters and mids are fun, lol.
At 55, I know I've got one forehand shot per round. You have to play a mental game knowing that the flick is there, but if you take it the right side of your body is going to hate you for the next 15 minutes minimum and if you need to scramble later you are SOL. I took the flick on a tee shot today, needed to scramble on the next hole and had nothing. It is what it is.

At 55, I know I've got one forehand shot per round. You have to play a mental game knowing that the flick is there, but if you take it the right side of your body is going to hate you for the next 15 minutes minimum and if you need to scramble later you are SOL. I took the flick on a tee shot today, needed to scramble on the next hole and had nothing. It is what it is.

This is exactly where I live. I get one and it hurts. The goal each round is to not use my forehand at all.

If...
And I mean "if" I have to throw a forehand, it will probably be forehand roller. Like at least 95% of the time...
That is why I carry a flippy lid or flippy lightweight wizard, for backhands that must go right. Between the potential pain and miserable probable bad outcome, I will try not to forehand any shots...