• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
At 55, I know I've got one forehand shot per round. You have to play a mental game knowing that the flick is there, but if you take it the right side of your body is going to hate you for the next 15 minutes minimum and if you need to scramble later you are SOL. I took the flick on a tee shot today, needed to scramble on the next hole and had nothing. It is what it is.

I feel you. At 69 I gave up power forehands years ago. Strangely I can still get away with tommy's or flick rolls with a lit of pace. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that you youngsters in your 50s think you have experienced all the ways that your body will fail you. :rolleyes:

I can usually throw easy downhill FH hyzers without too much aggravation, but man, throwing FH uphill or anny is a whole different kettle of fish.

Geez... this threads getting depressing. I'm old enough and I'm only 46...

Between work and throwing a bad backhand for a long time my point knee is rough and the dominant side of my back is kinda crunchy. When I wake up in the morning if it don't hurt, it don't work.

Learned the FH because of injuries, I don't try to cram on it but I can throw them very comfortably, repeatedly as long as I don't try to rip it, downhill or flat preferred. Kinda the same with OH, it's not my distance shot never has been just a casual get out of jail.

I guess when you expect nothing and just try to feel the weight and not relive the "good ol days" maybe it doesn't hurt as much :\

17 years ago, when I was a kid of 46, my brother and I bought some land and built a course. It was unapologetically an Advanced (blue-level course), without the option of short tees.

Nobody told me I'd grow old.

Now I find that I'm living on a course that's way over my head.

See it gets sadder and more depressing with each post. Haha. I've got a big hill on mine, it affects 2 of the 4/5 hole circuits... I play the worst 5 holes rarely... it doesn't help my old disc dog is buried under the willow tree by the pond on 13, and the hill comes into play 3 times... luckily my place is short so I got that, but the hills are murder on the knees.

Actually working on a flat 9 right now, slowly, with low ambition. Back in the day I had a course roughed in for 9 before my foundation was poured for the house

See it gets sadder and more depressing with each post.

I hit my highest rating, 957, last year at 57. My previous best was 949 in '02 and again in'17. Not all is doom and gloom.

For any youngsters reading this thread, my advice is find a way to add anti-oxidants to your diet. I think drinking a gallon of tea a day for 40 years has really helped me.

I'd pound antioxidants if I thought it would add a hundred feet to my drive and make me a better putter.

Not sure what's wrong with y'all. I'm 60 and can throw FH all day. Only good for a few thumbers a day though. Got an old MCL injury that's probably gonna need some attention before too long.

Don't wanna talk about changes to my digestive system....😟

They say: slow is smooth, smooth is far.

Well, as I have grown older, I do throw slower, I have gotten a lot smoother (people always comment on how effortless it looks when I'm throwing) but I'm afraid, the throwing far part is gone with youth!

I do throw more forehands now that I ever have, I have no problems out to about 250, if I try to push it further, that's when it hurts.

At 60, I'm playing much more consistently than ever, just not throwing far.

Things that make me happy now? whoopping the butts of the big arms on the short wooded technical courses!

I hit my highest rating, 957, last year at 57. My previous best was 949 in '02 and again in'17. Not all is doom and gloom.

For any youngsters reading this thread, my advice is find a way to add anti-oxidants to your diet. I think drinking a gallon of tea a day for 40 years has really helped me.

I had my most successful (not highest rating but won a bunch of stuff) season ever in 2019 at 53-54. Last year at 55-56 I had my worst season ever. I have always needed to practice to be good at physical endeavors, now my body can't take the amount of practice i need. UGH.

I would advise everyone to simply drink more water.

While I'm sure this is legitimately good advice, I've found the general lack of alcohol in the water does little to help my game.
Although 2 to 4 beers does loosen me up, and I can throw better, I pay dearly for it the next day. I miss the extra 100 feet of distance on my backhands. Just three or four years ago, I could sling it out to about 350. Now... 250 is about it. I've never had a forehand over 250, but it hurts to throw it over 200. I'm 61 and can testify that it sucks for your game to hit the 60+ age bracket. You can see it in the scores in tournaments. I don't know any 60+ guys that will play in a two-day event.

I don't know any 60+ guys that will play in a two-day event.

Those 60+ guys are troopers. I played a three day A-tier and there were four guys playing in MA60. Turns out there were a few 60+ guys playing in MA50 as well.

I hope I'll be healthy enough to still be playing many years from now even if I have to sacrifice distance or limit the amount of my playing.

Although 2 to 4 beers does loosen me up, and I can throw better, I pay dearly for it the next day. I miss the extra 100 feet of distance on my backhands. Just three or four years ago, I could sling it out to about 350. Now... 250 is about it. I've never had a forehand over 250, but it hurts to throw it over 200. I'm 61 and can testify that it sucks for your game to hit the 60+ age bracket. You can see it in the scores in tournaments. I don't know any 60+ guys that will play in a two-day event.

Got my first 2 day singles event in about a month. Two 24 hole layouts the first day and one the next. Ten MA60 slots filled up pretty quick for the event.

Played 20 holes yesterday in 20-25 mph winds and was kinda worn out afterwards. Think I'm gonna get back to my morning exercise routine again and hope for the best.

I would advise everyone to simply drink more water.

My dietician (never even though I'd have a dietician) says age/2 = oz water/day

Or as my old boss told me; If you ain't peeing clear by dinner, you ain't drinkin' enough.

I don't know any 60+ guys that will play in a two-day event.

I'm 62, been playing for 3 years and every year I've played in most tournaments that were a two day event. Usually two days, two rounds each day; sometimes two days, two rounds the first day and one round the second day.

This upcoming July I'll be in a three day tournament - thank goodness it will only be one round each day though.

The Memorial Championship in Arizona is a three day event for the ams (four days for pros). There are 16 signed up for MA60+.

So there are 60+ aged players doing multiple-day tournaments.

Forgot to mention....the MP60+ division for the Memorial Championship has 20 players that will be playing the four days.

Latest posts