• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Had to disc down to a Whippet on hole #15 because my nearly 50-year-old arm shorted the Firebird I normally use on hole #10 right into deep water. Ended up with a skip ace, so now I'm reconsidering using fast discs slower on under 220' holes.

I'm a 50+ year old guy.

The other 50+ year old guys always razz me for certain things.

When everyone on my card gets tangled up in the trees getting to the basket on a 250' hole and I throw a thumber over the trees and bounce off the top of the basket, they razz me because old dudes shouldn't be throwing thumbers.

When they find out pretty much all of the discs in my bag are max weight they razz me because I could be getting more distance with lighter discs. (Even though I am consistently driving farther than most of them.)

I also get razzed when they all throw a fairway driver off the tee and I opt to throw a putter because I know it will get me there.

I was a little surprised when I was putting with Wizards and someone noticed and commented that he hasn't seen anyone using Wizards for years.

I'm a 50+ year old guy.

The other 50+ year old guys always razz me for certain things.

When everyone on my card gets tangled up in the trees getting to the basket on a 250' hole and I throw a thumber over the trees and bounce off the top of the basket, they razz me because old dudes shouldn't be throwing thumbers.

When they find out pretty much all of the discs in my bag are max weight they razz me because I could be getting more distance with lighter discs. (Even though I am consistently driving farther than most of them.)

I also get razzed when they all throw a fairway driver off the tee and I opt to throw a putter because I know it will get me there.

I was a little surprised when I was putting with Wizards and someone noticed and commented that he hasn't seen anyone using Wizards for years.

You get razzed. because you are obviously juicing. You are only cheating yourself. SMH.
:p

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Is this meant to be sarcasm?

I'm definitely not a pro, over 40, and throw putters on some 250' holes. But I also sometimes throw drivers or fairways on 250' holes, mids at 100', and sometimes mids on 350'+ holes that I know I'm not going to birdie, so I play for control for my second shot.

You know what I give up on this one haha.

What it was is I played disc with some old friends "timewise", the guy might be 8yrs older than me I'm 46... I guess that in the time I've known him he hasn't progressed like I have even though I've regressed a lot I still look at 100' or a 150, even an occasional 200'-er and I throw a putter and he's whipping out a driver.

I love the dude. He's always welcome to a couch or some floor whatever, he's one of my closest disc golf family.... I didn't say anything but I'm just thinking like dude!!!!! That's not leopard/roadrunner/destroyer distance!!! I quickly realized it was none of my business and just kept quiet and enjoyed the company and the sunshine.

For the record there was no overhand or thumbers thrown with those discs. He was surprised when he noticed I played one disc with the hex for the second nine :). He asked me where if I forgot my bag, which I never had haha.

Then I thought there must be some line in the sand to uphold.. So I went off here where I know he isn't, because otherwise he'd know better :D. I used to give out comets to friends like that but it's never worked, well I gave my apprentice a 180Z and he's just starting off but that would be 1/9 times.

Thanks to DGCR got a comet, anything outside of 50' was comet distance, I used it like a putter and I used to do pretty well. Thanks to DGCR I threw my putter further etc... repeat ad nauseam.

Seriously dude! Not even a mid! Haha don't get me started, I got no support on the first rant. Just have fun.. However you want to play. Heck I didn't use a putter for 15yrs give or take... who am I to say.

Reminds me I got more backup scorpions again, nostalgia...

Seriously dude! Not even a mid! Haha don't get me started, I got no support on the first rant. Just have fun.. However you want to play. Heck I didn't use a putter for 15yrs give or take... who am I to say.

I get you. When it's a mostly open 200' shot and someone throws a 12 speed, I scratch my head a bit too. But then a buddy of mine, who can throw his mids farther than I can throw my drivers, hit a skip ace with I think it was a Boss on a 220' hole. So I guess throw what works for you for the shot you want.

I also play with a guy that throws drivers for pretty much everything that isn't an actual putt. It used to drive me nuts but know I just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. It isn't unusual for him to throw a high speed driver on a 250' hole where I'm throwing a putter.

I also play with a guy that throws drivers for pretty much everything that isn't an actual putt. It used to drive me nuts but know I just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. It isn't unusual for him to throw a high speed driver on a 250' hole where I'm throwing a putter.
But seriously, do you want someone to take care of it? It would be understandable.

It bugs me when I read a review that says, "It's a putter-only course."
Oh yeah?
You don't know me.
Better ask somebody.

Seriously though, you do you...

It bugs me when I read a review that says, "It's a putter-only course."
Oh yeah?
You don't know me.
Better ask somebody.

Seriously though, you do you...

A good "putter only" course definitely varies from person to person.

I definitely prefer those courses where all of the holes are in the sub 250' range but I've played some pretty big courses with nothing but putters and shot some pretty good scores.

Even if I'm playing my normal game you might see me step up to a 450' hole with a putter in my hand. There isn't a disc in my bag that will get me a birdie look so if I'm throwing two shots to get a putt I just enjoy going putter, putter, and putt and take my par and move on.

Whereas I might throw a putter 200' or so, I don't putt much with drivers as their instability at low speeds negates any other useful qualities they have.
Except, of course, when they're parked for a birdie. Then I'll putt the driver from within 20' or so, so it feels the love.

A good "putter only" course definitely varies from person to person.

I definitely prefer those courses where all of the holes are in the sub 250' range but I've played some pretty big courses with nothing but putters and shot some pretty good scores.

Even if I'm playing my normal game you might see me step up to a 450' hole with a putter in my hand. There isn't a disc in my bag that will get me a birdie look so if I'm throwing two shots to get a putt I just enjoy going putter, putter, and putt and take my par and move on.

I used to play in some local minis where we did Mid Range Mondays, and we usually held them on a course that had primarily 250' ish foot holes, but the first day I actually joined them for a round was the day they decided to mix it up and go to one of the tougher courses in the area. It was my first time playing in a mini with them and my first time playing just mids so I wasn't sure what group to sign up for. I ended up joining Am/Intermediate or whatever you call it, and shot the hot round by some 6 strokes for my group and was only 5 strokes off the Pro winner. I couldn't live down getting called a bagger, but it was definitely my best score I've ever shot there, and I still don't think I've topped it yet with my full bag.

I can't throw a mid past 300', usually can't even throw one past 270' but I found out just how easy it is to throw mid putter putter on those 400'+ holes and take the same par I'd be getting with a driver, but with a lot more consistency. So now, unless I think I can get there, or make it a long putt, I'll probably throw a mid for the control over a driver on longer holes.

I get you. When it's a mostly open 200' shot and someone throws a 12 speed, I scratch my head a bit too. But then a buddy of mine, who can throw his mids farther than I can throw my drivers, hit a skip ace with I think it was a Boss on a 220' hole. So I guess throw what works for you for the shot you want.

and not everyone throws a disc as far as the disc is designed to go.

250 foot shot? I'm probably throwing my Innova Star Sidewinder. Why? Because that's as far as my 62 year old self with a noodle arm can throw it. 220 feet - probably my Teebird. 300 or more....I'm throwing my Sidewinder out to 250ish and then I'll decide on what to throw based on how far I have left to go. But I'm definitely not throwing anything 300 foot or more.

Ok the thing I've noticed since I've gotten older is the difference in range between putter/mid/driver is decreasing... I might get an extra 80' on a driver and push over 300', I think I can still get a mid 220'ish and a putter to 180/200. Obviously different shot shapes but it used to be putter to 120' mid to 250 driver to 350'.

Ok the thing I've noticed since I've gotten older is the difference in range between putter/mid/driver is decreasing... I might get an extra 80' on a driver and push over 300', I think I can still get a mid 220'ish and a putter to 180/200. Obviously different shot shapes but it used to be putter to 120' mid to 250 driver to 350'.

I was watching a pro's video on YouTube the other day, can't remember which one for sure, but I think it was Simon, and he was saying that the difference between putter/mid/driver definitely stretches the further you can throw/the better your form. It's like a percentile thing. So if you can throw 600'+ like Simon, you can get probably 100'+ difference between your drivers and mids at full power, and probably 50-75'+ at least between mids and putters.

I used to push my drivers to 350+ and my putters to 250+ with my mids somewhere in the middle (never carried many mids, so it's hard for me to tell on those). Now I'm closer to 300 with my drivers, but still can get putters close to 250, so my overall distance has decreased, as has the gap between my discs.

I'm hoping I can get some proper exercise this year and get back into yoga though and get my drives back to 350 ish. I'm not trying to be greedy and set personal bests anymore, but even getting into my mid 40s, I think I should be able to be limber enough to at least hit 350 semi-regularly.

Edit, I should say I'm ONLY in my mid 40s.

Another thing about throwing far....it's about form, but also about power and as we get older that power decreases. Watch recent Jomez tourney videos....you'll see they've started showing which disc the player is throwing from the tee. It usually includes the flight numbers....but keep an eye on that box after the throw, it will usually show the distance and the speed it was thrown at.

I have a 42 mph throw....most of the pros are throwing at 60+ off the tee. I'll never match that speed and it doesn't matter how perfect my form is...I'll never get the distance they are getting. So I have to learn what I can do with my discs and work within that ability. If that means throwing a 9 speed Sidewinder twice on a 500 foot hole....so be it. If it means throwing the Sidewinder on a 250 foot hole when other people are throwing putters or midranges.....so be it.

Speed is generated in part by muscle. There's a very large part that is form that either hangs us up because we don't connect all the pieces well, or everything links together and our core muscles sync up with our arm at the right moment to give maximum acceleration. Being flexible and coordinated is more important than the power behind the muscle, but at least some power behind the muscle needs to be there.