• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I try to tell myself that I'm so excited to get to the Masters division because "oh ho ho i'M iN sUcH GoOD sHaPe gOnNa KicK SoME aSs" ... and then I shovel snow, and the truth is revealed...

Last edited:
I try to tell myself that I'm so excited to get to the Masters division because "oh ho ho i'M iN sUcH GoOD sHaPe gOnNa KicK SoME aSs" ... and then I shovel snow, and the truth is revealed...

That AND there are still some old dudes who can rip a country mile.
Not me, of course.

I'll soon be 62, and at the end of last season I decided to take the winter off. I realized that most of the older players I know were either playing with an injury, awaiting surgery for an injury or recovering from surgery related to an injury. Is my group unusual? I realized I needed to heal, stretch, strengthen, lose weight and improve my form if I want to continue playing. Most of the guys I know play disc golf for exercise, but they don't have an exercise program to prepare themselves to play disc golf. I feel that is a recipe for pain. I don't want to have to choose between playing disc golf or walking without a painful limp, but if my efforts have been ineffective I may be faced with that choice. How many of you physically prepare to play disc golf, and what do you do? How many of you just grind through the discomfort? Or, are you one of those rare old dudes who are just bulleproof and indestructible?

I'll soon be 62, and at the end of last season I decided to take the winter off. I realized that most of the older players I know were either playing with an injury, awaiting surgery for an injury or recovering from surgery related to an injury. Is my group unusual? I realized I needed to heal, stretch, strengthen, lose weight and improve my form if I want to continue playing. Most of the guys I know play disc golf for exercise, but they don't have an exercise program to prepare themselves to play disc golf. I feel that is a recipe for pain. I don't want to have to choose between playing disc golf or walking without a painful limp, but if my efforts have been ineffective I may be faced with that choice. How many of you physically prepare to play disc golf, and what do you do? How many of you just grind through the discomfort? Or, are you one of those rare old dudes who are just bulleproof and indestructible?

Aleve(TM) is my friend.

I have a bad back (scoliosis) and some of the twisting while throwing causes me issues. When I practice putt, I can only do so much before the pain sets in. Even a straddle putt causes a bit of upper body twist and after awhile....time to stop.

I do my best to warm up and loosen up before a round (or practice), but at 63, my hips/back still ache after a round.

Not specifically for disc golf, but yoga has really helped my back pain. Not just due to improving core strength and stretching out the back, but also stretching out everything that connects to it. It seems like really tight hamstrings were putting a lot of added stress on my low back.

I can't stand the energy/spiritual/woo part of yoga, but it's not to hard to find videos that ignore that part of it and focus on stretching and breathing.

I do some movements that are similar to yoga poses, but I think of what I do as dynamic and static stretching. I developed a series of movements like Tai Chi for myself, but the movements are based on sports rather than the martial arts. I also use light weights. I was having lower back pain and knee problems that I discovered were the result of my hips being tilted due to weak gluteus minimus and medius muscles. Once I strengthened those and could stand straight. I had to build the strength in a number of muscles so that I could maintain my posture. They had all grown weak because my posture had been so bad for so long.

Not specifically for disc golf, but yoga has really helped my back pain. Not just due to improving core strength and stretching out the back, but also stretching out everything that connects to it. It seems like really tight hamstrings were putting a lot of added stress on my low back.

An orthopedic surgeon once diagnosed my knee pain as tight hamstrings, and prescribed stretching (which worked). As he was doing so, he told me that often, back pain is the result of tight hamstrings.

(I've since damaged my knees beyond what stretching can relieve, though it does still help a bit).

I'm 64, and count 8 injuries that I'm dragging around the course.

My knees are shot. But I got them this far with stretching and, in the past few years, a little bit of lower-body strength training.

I'm a big believer in flexibility, and building up the muscles around joints. I don't do it enough, but I believe in it.

I won't play without stretching. I tell people to give me 20 minutes' advance notice before playing. I once rushed it, pulled a muscle, and was out for 2 months.

ask a friend who knows yoga to steer you toward some good videos and poses. a gentle routine could help you greatly. start slow, take it easy, and you will get some results.

I'm 64, and count 8 injuries that I'm dragging around the course.

My knees are shot. But I got them this far with stretching and, in the past few years, a little bit of lower-body strength training.

I'm a big believer in flexibility, and building up the muscles around joints. I don't do it enough, but I believe in it.

I won't play without stretching. I tell people to give me 20 minutes' advance notice before playing. I once rushed it, pulled a muscle, and was out for 2 months.

I have arthritis in both knees and an injury to my right knee which has not yet been diagnosed; much to my frustration. You are correct that stretched hamstrings definitely improve my comfort, and strengthening my quads has helped as well.

I am very fearful of injury as my last 3 have taken about 18 months to heal to the point where I had full range of motion without pain. That is, in part, why I chose to take the winter off. I won't throw off slippery teepads again.

I agree that yoga is great, but many of the poses are on the floor and my knees are not ready for that now and they may never be again.

If I wake up in the morning.. If it don't hurt it don't work.

If I don't work I go broke, I push through. Spurts of mobility are rationally agreeable.

For the first time ever, I got

Congratulations! You have earned an invitation to register for the 2023 PDGA Masters Disc Golf World Championships to be held in the Flagstaff, Arizona area on July 8-15, 2023

I've been Masters eligible for a few years. Are they having trouble getting people to register? I'm not a current member right now.

I can't stand the energy/spiritual/woo part of yoga, but it's not to hard to find videos that ignore that part of it and focus on stretching and breathing.

The spiritual portions helps me focus on why I am playing when I have a bad shot or hole.

I agree that yoga is great, but many of the poses are on the floor and my knees are not ready for that now and they may never be again.

I have bad knees as well. I know exactly what you mean. If there is a pose that doesn't work for me I just find a modified pose or a different pose that works better for me. Lucky most of the instructors helped direct me to different poses.

Like I said, this is the first time I've gotten a Congratulations email. It's not the first time I've been eligible.

Weird. This is one of the first times I did not get an email. With retirement, I stopped using the email address I have had connected to PDGA. Though I did change the email with PDGA, I still did not receive congrats on qualifying. I found out by auto notification via my DGS profile page.

Realistic appraisal question. Im 46 and I just recently threw my max D BH on a golf line of 410'. Last year I FH a shryke I caught just right about 340'. I avg 375-400' BH and 275 FH. Should I be content with these I mean where does that realistically compare to what is possible at 46. I know everyone is different and I can shoot for the stars but Im trying to get my thinking in line with reality about playing in MA40 and what I should reasonably expect from myself so I stop trying to compare myself to what would have been possible if I started playing at 16 V when I did start which was 37. What are your thoughts?