• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
A person in their 40's or even 50's is not an "Old Fart."
Indeed! I'm 65....been throwin' since '94 down here in Texas...body is nimble, still move like I'm in my 30's (tho my face belies my Age, ha!)....Could it be an extra added benefit of luggin' my old Lightning Bag around courses all these years? ...Hmmmmm...Yeah...Age is an illusion...play 'til you can't!

I am gunna turn 44 july 4th. I feel more fit now than I did in my 30's for sure. I think we will end up going one of two ways. Either get healthy so you can hopefully live longer OR start eating more fast food HAHA. Disc golf has done a ton for my flexibility ( ask my wife JK no seriously no jk ) and happy I got into it.

So just turning 47 after first season competing, I am about to wrap up the disc golf strong off season '21 phase 1 and 2 programs. I can definitely report increased overall strength and mobility, especially core. My hips feel strong and have much more range of movement. I am going to do a deload week then move onto in season training program. My core still has several levels of improvement as balance and strength exercises life airplanes and single leg dead lifts are still very challenging to maintain balance and form.

LIfe's progression:
Young-No warm up, throw as hard as want for as long as you want, injuries
heal within a few days.
Young Adult-Fall out of car hungover, no warm up, throw as hard as you want for two rounds, recover with beer and bacon cheeseburgers.
Mature Adult-Stretching routine, warm up throws, stiff but still pain free, still loving your weekend tournaments, you talk about hitting the gym and dieting but you carry that extra 20 pounds well sooo....you don't.
Older Adult: you hurt when you get out of bed, but after you've finished your morning exercises that pain becomes background noise, your discs are becoming more unstable and so are you, friends of your same age start saying the game is really about putting 🙄. You recover with booze and painkillers.
Old Fart-This is not about a specific age. This is when one of your major joints betrays you. Recovery from injury, if it happens at all, takes six months to two years. The pain may not go away despite your efforts. It effects your form, excercising and enthusiasm. Your playing partners are either nursing an injury, awaiting a surgery, or recovering from a surgery. When will this happen to you? Depends on your gene pool and personal history.

2 frozen shoulders and third knuckle on the index finger of my throwing hand must place me squarely in "Old Fart" range.

Old Fart-This is not about a specific age. This is when one of your major joints betrays you. Recovery from injury, if it happens at all, takes six months to two years. The pain may not go away despite your efforts. It effects your form, excercising and enthusiasm. Your playing partners are either nursing an injury, awaiting a surgery, or recovering from a surgery. When will this happen to you? Depends on your gene pool and personal history.

Dang I hit the old fart stage at age 40. 🤣

Last week, we had a heavy, blowing rainstorm here in CLT which caused a fairly massive Pine to topple over and take out a section of our privacy fence in the back yard. Happened on a Tuesday, and I work for a living, so I couldn't address the repair until the following weekend (which was this past one).
Aside from the (relatively small) expense and the need for vigorous chainsawing, this breach in our defenses also meant that we couldn't let our two Pits out to relieve themselves and exercise, which caused the need for streetwalking. This is not wholly foreign to me, but we rarely have to do it.
Both dawgs are people-friendly, but at night, if they see other animals, they go on high-alert, and usually end up getting each other all frothy to the point that they come close to fighting each other. Which, whatever. I've driven my knee into their jaws a few times over the years. No biggie.
On this night, which would've been Wednesday, we're at the top of the hill that leads down to our cul-de-sac, right, and it's about 75 yards, at an angle of maybe 45 degrees. We see another dog-walker approaching from the uphill side, and I decide to just gently jog mine back to the house before any trouble starts. (I'm 56.5 years, in pretty good shape. Been an athlete my whole life, never had to worry about a thing, really...) It wasn't a sprint, mind you, just barely running...

But friends, I just about fell on the floor the next morning, so pained were my groin muscles. Like, I could not even walk without looking like friggin' C3PO (or, as my wife put it, "like there's something long and pointy shoved up your backside") for a full week afterward. A week! I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. Yesterday was the first day I even felt close to normal again. This was not an old injury re-aggravated. I have never had this kind of injury before.

Not good. But what I learned, the hardest way possible, is that now, there is no choice but to stretch, and stretch really well, before I do a damned thing involving my legs. Got our annual Ice Bowl/Tag Matches tomorrow morning. Two rounds, beginning early. If you're attending, I will be the guy with the greying goatee, sitting on the asphalt at 07:45, slooooowwwwwly trying to get those things to loosen up. And if that doesn't work, I'll be the guy sitting by himself halfway through the day, crying into his beer because he couldn't finish the day.

Getting old is no joke. Y'all might want to invest in Alleve and Advil - I'll be keeping them in business until I croak.

Not gonna let you old farts drag me down!

I'm 62 and been playing 7-8 years. Pretty focused on attaining a 900 rating, currently 892 and finding the last few rating points a grind. Very competitive in the local MA50 crowd so I'll keep playing those guys while I can. Those MA60 dudes are old farts, not me!

Not gonna let you old farts drag me down!

I'm 62 and been playing 7-8 years. Pretty focused on attaining a 900 rating, currently 892 and finding the last few rating points a grind. Very competitive in the local MA50 crowd so I'll keep playing those guys while I can. Those MA60 dudes are old farts, not me!
That's the Spirit, Youngster!

So how is everyone doing with their Plantar Fasciitis?

It has really slowed me down for the last five months. I've switched most of my shoes to zero drop with wide toe boxes... and working on a couple of exercises to strengthen the muscles in the bottom of my foot and the calf...

Slowly improving, but man.... it is a pain.. in the foot. Real.

It has really slowed me down for the last five months. I've switched most of my shoes to zero drop with wide toe boxes... and working on a couple of exercises to strengthen the muscles in the bottom of my foot and the calf...

Explain please? I'm 65 and never heard of this problem...don't want to get blind-sided with some age related nuisance....I ain't ready for all that...

for my heelspurs and Plantar faciitis i use Powerstep insoles, not the gel but the stiff ones for hiking. that and losing weight made my life a whole lot more enjoyable.so much so i have been syptom free for over a decade.
Hmmm....been thowin' since the '90s...never wore sneakers...I've worn Wolverine high-top work boots to play in all these years and still do...maybe that's one factor why my feet/ankles haven't given me any trouble? Y'all done got me curious....

Explain please? I'm 65 and never heard of this problem...don't want to get blind-sided with some age related nuisance....I ain't ready for all that...
having proper arch support will help you not get it along with maintaining a healthy weight. you will know when you have it, trust me. it's not age, its the amount of abuse you subject your feet to.

Latest posts