• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
1. If you climb a tree, check around the ground first...when you are dropping the last few inches you don't want to land on a hidden root and roll your ankle....know where the safe landing spot is.

2. doTerra's Deep Blue is better than BenGay.

3. We aren't young anymore (or at least our bodies aren't)....don't think we can throw like 20/30 year olds.

Attachments

• 20211021_102835.jpg
    20211021_102835.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 17
Two thoughts from this now 70 year old.

Wear grey or black socks. Disc golf is hell on white socks.

I just returned home from a short little six day-21 course bagging trip to Atlanta. Upon checking my notes, course sheets and DGCR information, I can't hardly remember the difference between Fort Yargo Park and Mathews Park. I know they both were really good 18's, both had a lake in the center that you played around, both rating 3.0 or 3.5 and both had some really beautiful holes. I hope this isn't a sign of things coming. It probably wouldn't be the first time that someone on DGCR has pointed out that I was reviewing the wrong course.

Carry less discs....it makes the decision on what to throw much easier. At my age, I don't need lots of options...I just need something I can throw and count on to give me the best possible next shot. I listen the pros and hear them talk about "I have this number of this mold....I have them in these different plastics and different levels of 'beat in'. That way each disc gives me a slight bit of different flight." Nope, nope, nope...not for me. When my DX Teebird "beats in" and starts going straight....I'll either work with it or buy a new one. Teebirds in other plastics....they don't fly the same for me...I don't carry them. Same for other discs I do carry....I don't need similar discs that just have a slight variance on flight. That's why I have 112 discs on my shelf and 8 in my bag.

Carry less discs....it makes the decision on what to throw much easier. At my age, I don't need lots of options...I just need something I can throw and count on to give me the best possible next shot. I listen the pros and hear them talk about "I have this number of this mold....I have them in these different plastics and different levels of 'beat in'. That way each disc gives me a slight bit of different flight." Nope, nope, nope...not for me. When my DX Teebird "beats in" and starts going straight....I'll either work with it or buy a new one. Teebirds in other plastics....they don't fly the same for me...I don't carry them. Same for other discs I do carry....I don't need similar discs that just have a slight variance on flight. That's why I have 112 discs on my shelf and 8 in my bag.

Half of my bag is an empty milk jug.

I use that magnesium oil spray. Inexpensive and really works. It is self limiting tho as it will give you the sh1ts.

I'm guessing it doesn't stay empty...

Yeah....I've been thinking...what would be the use of having an empty milk jug in the bag...

It's a spacer since he doesn't have a full bag of discs
can fill it up with water on the course when needed

I thought about the other type of filling it up....but that's what trees are for (besides redirecting discs).

i had a real oldhead moment the other week.

played league round thats live scoring on udisc. couldn't figure out why my score kept adding +1 on hole 17. took me 5min fiddling with udisc. got to the point where i was angrily/violently tapping the +/- and not getting correct score. The other cardmates are 45yo and 60yo and i was the "youngin" at 43yo and we couldn't figure out why it was doing so.

turns out i accidentally put an OB stroke.

I do like the recent option of virtual disc golf leagues where you can just play with whomever/whenever you want (within the day), pay through venmo/paypal, and submit scores through Udisc with payouts through venmo/paypal that night after everyone has played.

I see a lot of clubs doing this during pandemic times and its like work from home/flex schedule/zoom meetings meets disc golf. seems like a great way to keep leagues going even when pandemic ends.

also I'm dealing with my first shoulder injury from disc golf. lol i finally was able to get decent sidearm form (former 95% backhand player) and be almost 60:40 when it came to which shot I would do on a hole. then I got cocky and started getting decent distance on my sidearm (maybe 350ft or more) and of course old arm/shoulder gave out when I was trying to get some more sidearm distance using more overstable destroyers and worse form.

ah well at least my backhand is still ok (losing distance on that too though as i get older).

Last edited:
Colorado Grumpy Old Man

Greetings to you all from Colorado!

I am really stoked to find this thread. As a middle 40's player I am pleased to know that there is a meeting place for us all to meet up.

I got back into disc golf after a big break. I started back with my 7 year old son joining me and now we are playing as often as we can. I have been having a ton of fun during this time. That being said, age has caught up with me and done some damage injury wise. Because of that, I am having to learn new ways to play.

I broke my ankle over two years ago now and am getting back to walking and being able to play disc. I have been getting better all summer and can't wait to see what the future holds.

Thanks again for all being here and I can't wait to read the complete thread!

Somewhat similar story for me, Flyguy46. I never stopped playing casually, but I took 14 years off from playing in tournaments until 2020. My kid has joined me and his skill rapidly intensified over the summer after just turning 12. He beats me about once a week if we play 4 or 5 times, and I'm not a terrible player (just old with no distance from the tee). He has a 934-rated round under his belt in a sanctioned juniors tourney, and on the last night of league here in town he beat EVERYBODY from the short tees at Robert Morris Park, over 30 grown men! He started the year about 750 rated.

I resurrected my game too, but not nearly as much improvement as his. My rating is pretty much back to where it was 20 years ago, but my game is diametrically opposite. I had a brute-force big forehand in my youth with not much else. Now I might barely scrape 300' on my very best drive but I'm almost always in fairways and almost always up and down from 200' on in and can putt my brains out. I got my forehand back after not throwing it at all in over a decade. Took me two years to resurrect it properly without pain. It's 100 feet shorter than it was in 1999, and I was throwing speed 6 and 7 stuff to get that distance back then. Now I throw it differently, finishing with my wrist up like I'm Spiderman, with zero pain. It's accurate and MAYBE 250', but it's a weapon I use all the time.

MA-40+ is SO much fun. It's both competitive and chill. I love it, favorite division I've ever played in by far (which includes Am-2 and Am-1 from the old days).

Fistbumps in the direction of Colorado from Kalamazoo, sir, and welcome back!

Last edited:
Geez has it been that long?

Ha I was wondering how that was gonna go down, always nice to see Nova P! Wasn't sure if XD was a troublemaker or a corndog... bah h-orndog..

Ha always nice to play with the ladies. An OG discin chick named Carrie gave me some discs when she moved, a club stamped close to original run Comet. I had no idea it was until I bought an old one off a guy on FB.. He gave me a deal since I run a hell of a doubles party/tourney. Some old Saturn stamped ones, and some walled lake elite X's.. Man that disc got fat! Good thing glides like a champ now.

What was I saying?.. Oh yeah women in disc, damn they're great.... Played my first tourney with a very cool standoffish chick, looked like she could beat yo ass down.. one of maybe 6 ladies on the local pro circuit. Don't blame her, I saw the lonely vultures.... Anyhow super cool, super nice, glad I got the chance to get in and know her. She's sponsored now.. A league leader.. Great lady. Always been super friendly and encouraging when I was a nobody. Really glad I got the chance to know her without just being another dick.

Point is it can be a tough slug, women in trades, women in Discgolf.... Nice to see how far things have gone.

Felt something tickling my eyelid, as though a thread or piece of fuzz or something had gotten stuck to the outside of my eyelid such that when I'd open my eyes, I'd feel it.

After closer examination, it was a rogue wizard-length eyebrow hair curled down and onto the eyelid. An identical one grows in the exact same spot on my other eyebrow, as well.

Yayzers! :|

Felt something tickling my eyelid, as though a thread or piece of fuzz or something had gotten stuck to the outside of my eyelid such that when I'd open my eyes, I'd feel it.

After closer examination, it was a rogue wizard-length eyebrow hair curled down and onto the eyelid. An identical one grows in the exact same spot on my other eyebrow, as well.

Yayzers! :|

Your ear hair will be getting in your eyes soon enough...

Latest posts