• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Once for all, lets decide the best putting practice!

I compare putting to darts sometimes..
If i throw harder than my natural motion i miss the "bullseye"
Thats why I practiced close distance until i got 90%, we talk like 100 putt sessions once or twice a day for 2-3 weeks. I went from 75% to close to 90%.

Then i tried 6 feet(2 meters) further and i got 55-58% a few days..
Today i tried inbetween, 3 feet from my 90% mark and i got 80%.

I think I will continue at my 80% for a week or so, see if i can get up to 90%, then 3feet byond that maybee has climed from 55% to 80%??

If im "to far" away to putt smooth i overextend and throw the disc and miss.
Not gliding the disc in.
Im now trying to throw the disc half way, and letting it glide and drop the other half if that make sense.

As a beginner i always threw the disc in i did not just "let it go".

I do belive that someone who practice smarter 100 putts a day will see progress faster, thats what this topic is about :)

Thougts? or should i practise some at the further distances? :)

Last edited:
There is no one best way.

Because different people are making different mistakes, with different bodies and different minds and different experience, they will need different methods to correct different flaws.

Probably the best putting practice is what a competent coach tells you to do after getting to know your particular putt. But that specific practice routine will then change effectiveness as you adapt to it. Wash, rinse, repeat. And it's not like actual disc golf coaches are falling off trees, either.

I heard Ulibarri currently never practice putts more than 15 minutes at a time, no more than once oer hour, because otherwise he gets stale mentally. Staying in the focus zone might be the most challenging thing for me when I practice anything. You may not be the same.

I heard Ulibarri currently never practice putts more than 15 minutes at a time, no more than once oer hour, because otherwise he gets stale mentally. Staying in the focus zone might be the most challenging thing for me when I practice anything. You may not be the same.

I attended a clinic taught by Willie Mosconi long ago. Well, of course, he passed about 28 years ago.

He said he never practiced, he only played matches. That's because he had put in the time and learned the skill, but concentration is finite, and he needed to save it for competition.

(World champion 15 times)

I

Im actually programming a game where the putts add 0,5 value each 5 feet and no bonus for first or last, just a "right amount" for all.
i mean if you make 2 putters, first and last in some distance you get more points than if you make 8 out of 10 and miss first and last. I know the "stress" is a factor but not that big.

I try to grind 100 putts to get about 90% and then back up, more like muscle memory like Brody Smith talks about in his putting video.

But should i only practice that distance? read that Eagle only practice at 20 feet (sounds unlikley)

Hmmm I'm interested in that putting game.. Have you checked out JYLY? It's a cool putting game and I think it's free in the app store or out of the thread on here. It's been a year haha but I'm pretty sure it gives you more points for more distance. I wish it would vary the distance a little less predictably.

As far as Tournament prep I start close and build confidence just crash chains and move outwards a bit. I also try to throw some light putts at 50'-100' just to get the arm going that I don't expect to make. I will not practice at 30' as that's not a confidence inspiring distance for me.

Practice at home I've done 100 putts a day for a month usually this time of year for tourney prep but didn't last year (CoVid Cancelled!). I really noticed how many more misses I have had than normal.

I have a stack of a dozen 165g-167g plasma envy's.. Consistency is key and removing variables like Steve said. I have a routine, check grip, line up feet, two practice swings etc.. After that you need to both practice the same thing repeatedly and also vary it enough that you don't fall into a rut.

I support repetition. Wherever you set up bang a bunch in from there, it doesn't simulate game play but it does help with muscle memory and give you a chance to correct. Heck have a stack on a chair beside you so you don't have to move your feet or anything when you are making putts. Same motion every time, if your mind is drifting change it up!

I also support randomization. Do not stand in the same place all the time, you have set up your feet and aren't learning anything except the same motion ;). Throw a putt, walk 4 or 5 ft to the picnic table to get another disc and reset everything, or just do a weird little walk in a circle. Either way it's practice for getting consistent footing and building a routine. I also like to pick up my discs and putt from the furthest one I missed. Get that comeback putt! (12 times hopefully)

Anyhow that's what I do.

Hmmm I'm interested in that putting game.. Have you checked out JYLY? It's a cool putting game and I think it's free in the app store or out of the thread on here. It's been a year haha but I'm pretty sure it gives you more points for more distance. I wish it would vary the distance a little less predictably.

As far as Tournament prep I start close and build confidence just crash chains and move outwards a bit. I also try to throw some light putts at 50'-100' just to get the arm going that I don't expect to make. I will not practice at 30' as that's not a confidence inspiring distance for me.

Practice at home I've done 100 putts a day for a month usually this time of year for tourney prep but didn't last year (CoVid Cancelled!). I really noticed how many more misses I have had than normal.

I have a stack of a dozen 165g-167g plasma envy's.. Consistency is key and removing variables like Steve said. I have a routine, check grip, line up feet, two practice swings etc.. After that you need to both practice the same thing repeatedly and also vary it enough that you don't fall into a rut.

I support repetition. Wherever you set up bang a bunch in from there, it doesn't simulate game play but it does help with muscle memory and give you a chance to correct. Heck have a stack on a chair beside you so you don't have to move your feet or anything when you are making putts. Same motion every time, if your mind is drifting change it up!

I also support randomization. Do not stand in the same place all the time, you have set up your feet and aren't learning anything except the same motion ;). Throw a putt, walk 4 or 5 ft to the picnic table to get another disc and reset everything, or just do a weird little walk in a circle. Either way it's practice for getting consistent footing and building a routine. I also like to pick up my discs and putt from the furthest one I missed. Get that comeback putt! (12 times hopefully)

Anyhow that's what I do.

Hi!

Yes, I have tried JYLY also, and not quite fond JYLY either, good game, don't get me wrong and funny. But i wonder sometimes if its better to miss one putt on 5m so i can stay between 9m and 7m.. instead of missing all at 10m? I dont know, but i think one 10m(33feet) i worth more than two 5m(16feet) putts.

Dont know how much tho.. i guess for a pro its almost the same?

Since you were intrested in my putting game, what do you think is a good "multiplier" for longer distance? i hate in Perfect Putting 360 that a 10' and a 25' put gives same points, its a different skill and harder from 25'.

I have now the multiplier in the image, and 2 extra putts for first one, and 4 extra if you make all. If you are 100% its a skill that should be rewarded.

I hope luck is less likely in this game, or maybee just one extra putt for first and two putts for all?

What do you think?
(stats on each distance over time should also be important to see progress, and sharing/competing with friends)

:)

Attachments

• Puttinggame.jpg
    Puttinggame.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 12
... both practice the same thing repeatedly and also vary it enough that you don't fall into a rut.
life is full of catch22s contradictions variety opposing forces; like this throwing discs game where throwing the least is good. you gotta find balance; moderation in everything, even moderation.

Hi!

Yes, I have tried JYLY also, and not quite fond JYLY either, good game, don't get me wrong and funny. But i wonder sometimes if its better to miss one putt on 5m so i can stay between 9m and 7m.. instead of missing all at 10m? I dont know, but i think one 10m(33feet) i worth more than two 5m(16feet) putts.

Dont know how much tho.. i guess for a pro its almost the same?

Since you were intrested in my putting game, what do you think is a good "multiplier" for longer distance? i hate in Perfect Putting 360 that a 10' and a 25' put gives same points, its a different skill and harder from 25'.

I have now the multiplier in the image, and 2 extra putts for first one, and 4 extra if you make all. If you are 100% its a skill that should be rewarded.

I hope luck is less likely in this game, or maybee just one extra putt for first and two putts for all?

What do you think?
(stats on each distance over time should also be important to see progress, and sharing/competing with friends)

:)

Yeah the algorithm is predictable on JYLY, the problem is it doesn't vary enough.. You know where you are going the next time..

There's a lot of putting games out there... maybe you can add some randomization for distances that you throw from. Problem is it will make it harder to high score under the same circumstances... I'm an electrician and I used to be a programmer, before your C+ or + BS back in my day I was great and so was Basic and Dos. :D anyhow....

What if you took a couple distances and grouped them together, 7,10,13 for example 1 point from any make 15 a neutral distance with 1.25 pts.. Make 17,19,21 1.5 points etc. 23,25,27 1.75pts make 30ft ON FIRE 2pts.

By keeping in a grouped range you can add a randomizer that makes you putt at different distances without losing points, even if you did it in pairings instead of 3's. Maybe take the distance divide by two and add every putt you made for next distance.. No I didn't fully work the math on that :D just an idea

You could add an on fire mode, make em all and you move 5ft back and get an extra half point on anything you make from the next range until you miss one..

Last edited:
Yeah the algorithm is predictable on JYLY, the problem is it doesn't vary enough.. You know where you are going the next time..

There's a lot of putting games out there... maybe you can add some randomization for distances that you throw from. Problem is it will make it harder to high score under the same circumstances... I'm an electrician and I used to be a programmer, before your C+ or + BS back in my day I was great and so was Basic and Dos. :D anyhow....

What if you took a couple distances and grouped them together, 7,10,13 for example 1 point from any make 15 a neutral distance with 1.25 pts.. Make 17,19,21 1.5 points etc. 23,25,27 1.75pts make 30ft ON FIRE 2pts.

By keeping in a grouped range you can add a randomizer that makes you putt at different distances without losing points, even if you did it in pairings instead of 3's. Maybe take the distance divide by two and add every putt you made for next distance.. No I didn't fully work the math on that :D just an idea

You could add an on fire mode, make em all and you move 5ft back and get an extra half point on anything you make from the next range until you miss one..

Good suggestions, i also thought about a leveling game, when you make certain distances without misses, you level up. e.g 5 putts in a row at 30'

I also want to keep it simple, not to many distances to mark up and keep track of, also with a grind section e.g. just putt 100 putts at certain distances'.

Another way should be to try to make one putt at each distance and then move back, and then start over. That way every putt would be "the first".

I just grab my putters and throw from various places in the yard, with no regard to scores or distances. Sometimes I'll have my 6 year old drive from ~120 feet, and I putt from his lie. Makes for good practice for us both.

I practice putting several ways:

1. If I have a round where my putting stroke feels "off" (even if they are going in sometimes they just don't feel right), later I will practice putts from about 15-20 feet until everything feels smooth and simple and effortless. These I throw one after another. This is just about getting the right feel and timing. I probably do this once every couple of months or anytime I get too busy to practice or play for more than a week or so.

2. For general practice, I get a stack of putters and start at about 5 long paces from the basket. Every time I make it, I take a large step back, every time I miss I take a step forward. I subscribe to the "don't take the second shot" school of thought. I do this drill/game for as long as I feel like I am treating every putt with the focus I would put in during a round. My favorite thing about the drill is it automatically finds where you need the practice the most.

3. Another good exercise is to throw 10 approaches from 200 feet and then putt from all the lies. The problem with this is I am tempted to just stop putting and just work on throwing.

4. Before a round I only practice close putts that I expect to make on the course 100% of the time.

Good suggestions, i also thought about a leveling game, when you make certain distances without misses, you level up. e.g 5 putts in a row at 30'

I also want to keep it simple, not to many distances to mark up and keep track of, also with a grind section e.g. just putt 100 putts at certain distances'.

Another way should be to try to make one putt at each distance and then move back, and then start over. That way every putt would be "the first".

You could even add other fun things to it.. Like randomly go STRADDLE Putt!!!! Or 40' or 50' Jackpot Bonus round! 5 points for every one you make (no penalties) then return to the " set" distance.

Or take your idea, "take it back" use it as the starting point, move back making putts whichever one you miss first becomes your starting range for next set. Reverse it and call it "bring it in" for some reason I imagine the street fighter 2 voice...

Sorry edited out... heavy metal mode any putt that hits metal counts

Or quotation marks Lake of Fire mode" any pot that misses you don't get to use that disk again and you have to keep going backwards until you run out of discs I don't know

Last edited:
Here's my method, based on two thoughts:

1. As you point out, you're not learning anything either making or missing all your putts. The maximum information comes when you make 50% of the putts.

2. During play, you never get to make a second putt from the same place, so there is no point practicing that.

So, start anywhere. If you make the putt move back. If you miss the putt move forward. A foot or a meter, doesn't matter.

You'll end up putting from a lot of different distances and making about 50% of your putts.

This is my most common practice routine. I do other practice formats too, but this is the one that I come back to the most and seems to get me from "putting good" to "putting great." Although if my putting is really in a funk, I do the opposite and just smash 15 footers over and over until I get my groove back.

This year I've become much more serious about putting and I try to do 100 putts a day minimum. I've always just kinda practiced from ~28 feet as I think that's a nice balanced distance... but I've since built a more structured routine.

I use Perfect Putt 360 every time. At first, I assumed the 10 footers were useless, but since starting this routine I've gained HUGE confidence on the course and my putting statistics reflect that. I'm now expecting to make everything in the circle.

For those who don't know, Perfect Putt 360 is a scoring app that gives you points for making putts at certain distances. It's two rounds of 50 putts. You get bonus points for making all 10 at each distance as well as the first and last putt of each 10 disc round. The perfect score is 360 points.

Game sequence:

10 putts from 10 feet
10 putts from 15 feet
10 putts from 20 feet
10 putts from 25 feet
10 putts from 30 feet
(repeat for round 2)

I have since altered the game for myself to more accurately reflect the circle distance and slightly increase the difficulty for the close putts. I'm also hoping it builds in a good sense for exactly when I'm in and out of the circle.

10 putts from 13 feet
10 putts from 18 feet
10 putts from 23 feet
10 putts from 28 feet
10 putts from 32 feet 9 inches
(repeat for round 2)

After a game of PP360, I practice about 30 jump putts from ~60 feet or so. Helps keep my form efficient at all distances. I really think short putts and long putts are important in every practice now. The contrast really helps build muscle memory and power level for instinctual distances on the course.

It also helps to have 10 of your putter and a sick putting green in the backyard with pavers buried at each distance :)

IMG-6283.jpg

IMG-6284.jpg

I linked to this in another putting thread, but it's probably better here in terms of "best practice". Video is a bit long, but good stuff (if you're short on time, 3:30 and 8:00 have the meat of this).

I've coached volleyball for years and used this "Train Ugly" approach for better results. He (and esp. the studies backing him up) makes a very good case for random over block. Very applicable to putting (ball or disc golf).

Hi!

First some statements:

1. I think we all want to practice hitting putts, not to miss putts.

2. We could stand at 5 feet every day and never miss, but is that good practice?

3. We could stand in circle 2 but only make a few %

I want to discuss in each 3feet or 1 meter distance how many putts should you do in each %

e.g
I make 90% in one distance
3 feet(1 meter) further i have 67%
6 feet(2 meters) further i have 57%
9 feet(3 meters) further i have 45%
12 feet(4 meters) further i have 38%

I think this probably common, the start distance can be at 5,20 or 30 feet for some, but the REAL question is:

If i putt 100 putts a day in what % should that be?

I started at the 90% disctance and was at about 75-80 in the beginning and now 90%.
Now i practice the 57% distance, is that TO many misses?

I mean evantually the all the distances will be about one feet more, thats why i only talk %

So, should i skip the 38% distance all together and "forget that"
or shoud i make 30 putts att my 90%, 30 putts at my 67% and 20 putts at 57% and 20 putts at 45% ?

And if i practice 200 putts a day i will use the same % e.g 60 putts at my 90% distance.

I think in general its more important to hit close putts, and its more "ok" to miss further puts. You can loose a tournamet by missing short puts, but not as likely if you miss loooong puts and make all shorter.

When is it time to move to greater distances, all the time or do you need to get 90-100% first?

What do YOU think is the best?
How do you do, and why?
👏
I like variety - mix it up, have fun, you will practice more, and get better. Do same thing all of the time, get bored, practice less, putting suffers. I do some of all distances from 10' to 50', but I do more of the distances I want to improve at. At 10' I am nearly 100%, and at 15' I am at least 80%, 20' - 70%, 25' - 40-50%, and 30' - 15-30%. I put in some extra work trying to get 15' closer to 100%. I probably work most on 20, 25, and 30, thinking that is my best chances for improvement to make a difference in my game. But, I also practice 50', and try for makes, but also when I miss can I almost always make my comeback putt - that can make a difference. I would go up to 75' practicing that, but my yard is too small. But, I got at least 7-8 different ways of practicing to keep it from getting boring. To me, that is huge - have fun.

I putt mostly from 30 feet. I feel like if I practice from shorter distances I end up putting too soft, and that translates very badly to longer putts. I feel like once I'm putting well from 30' I can translate that very well to all distances.

IMO a lot of people put too much time on shorter putts and that's why they really struggle on longer putts.

Side note: I think commitment on putts is more important than making putts. I'd rather putt it hard and straight into the band, than make a weak wobbly stroke that barely makes it over the cage.

This year I've become much more serious about putting and I try to do 100 putts a day minimum. I've always just kinda practiced from ~28 feet as I think that's a nice balanced distance... but I've since built a more structured routine.

I use Perfect Putt 360 every time. At first, I assumed the 10 footers were useless, but since starting this routine I've gained HUGE confidence on the course and my putting statistics reflect that. I'm now expecting to make everything in the circle.

For those who don't know, Perfect Putt 360 is a scoring app that gives you points for making putts at certain distances. It's two rounds of 50 putts. You get bonus points for making all 10 at each distance as well as the first and last putt of each 10 disc round. The perfect score is 360 points.

Game sequence:

10 putts from 10 feet
10 putts from 15 feet
10 putts from 20 feet
10 putts from 25 feet
10 putts from 30 feet
(repeat for round 2)

I have since altered the game for myself to more accurately reflect the circle distance and slightly increase the difficulty for the close putts. I'm also hoping it builds in a good sense for exactly when I'm in and out of the circle.

10 putts from 13 feet
10 putts from 18 feet
10 putts from 23 feet
10 putts from 28 feet
10 putts from 32 feet 9 inches
(repeat for round 2)

After a game of PP360, I practice about 30 jump putts from ~60 feet or so. Helps keep my form efficient at all distances. I really think short putts and long putts are important in every practice now. The contrast really helps build muscle memory and power level for instinctual distances on the course.

It also helps to have 10 of your putter and a sick putting green in the backyard with pavers buried at each distance :)

IMG-6283.jpg

IMG-6284.jpg
Nice set up with the pavers! My temp solution is half buried golf balls every 5 feet. I know the distances, and they stay below my lawn guy's mower blades. If I stay with the disc golf long enough, maybe I eventually upgrade to pavers - they are way cooler!

Sorry edited out... heavy metal mode any putt that hits metal counts

Or quotation marks Lake of Fire mode" any pot that misses you don't get to use that disk again and you have to keep going backwards until you run out of discs I don't know
I have over 20 putters and counting. Sometimes I start at 10', throw all. Any misses, remove putter. Back up 5', throw remaining putters, and repeat until my yard max of 50', or all out of putters. Practice, have fun, and let's see which is the best putting disc (for me). I mix up many games. Like putting for percentages, random single putts to simulate game play, Around The World, and more. To me, variety makes it fun - I don't get bored.

Latest posts