• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Once for all, lets decide the best putting practice!

beachboy72

Hi!

First some statements:

1. I think we all want to practice hitting putts, not to miss putts.

2. We could stand at 5 feet every day and never miss, but is that good practice?

3. We could stand in circle 2 but only make a few %

I want to discuss in each 3feet or 1 meter distance how many putts should you do in each %

e.g
I make 90% in one distance
3 feet(1 meter) further i have 67%
6 feet(2 meters) further i have 57%
9 feet(3 meters) further i have 45%
12 feet(4 meters) further i have 38%

I think this probably common, the start distance can be at 5,20 or 30 feet for some, but the REAL question is:

If i putt 100 putts a day in what % should that be?

I started at the 90% disctance and was at about 75-80 in the beginning and now 90%.
Now i practice the 57% distance, is that TO many misses?

I mean evantually the all the distances will be about one feet more, thats why i only talk %

So, should i skip the 38% distance all together and "forget that"
or shoud i make 30 putts att my 90%, 30 putts at my 67% and 20 putts at 57% and 20 putts at 45% ?

And if i practice 200 putts a day i will use the same % e.g 60 putts at my 90% distance.

I think in general its more important to hit close putts, and its more "ok" to miss further puts. You can loose a tournamet by missing short puts, but not as likely if you miss loooong puts and make all shorter.

When is it time to move to greater distances, all the time or do you need to get 90-100% first?

What do YOU think is the best?
How do you do, and why?
:clap:

Get the PP360 app and play that every day. I was never strong with straddle putts, but this winter I played two PP360 games every day in my basement, doing half of them straddle putts. Now I feel confident with them. I'm only better at "regular" staggered stance putts out past 25' now, when I used to struggle with just about any straddle putt from 15' or 20'. Lots of PP360 cured that.

But, yeah, I like PP360 because it makes a game with a score out of your putting practice, something to shoot for, rather than just doing 100 reps. And it gives you the gamut of C1 distances.

Happy putting!

I am the wrong guy to ask. I really haven't practiced putting in 3 years and my putting has improved considerably in that time frame. I have been focusing on strength training and lower body balance work (on legged dead lifts, etc.). I spend about the same time I used to spend on putting practice, with much better returns.

Two putters.

Putt at 22ft.

Miss one or two, do it again.

Make both at 22ft and move to 33ft.

Miss one or two, putt from your longest miss with both, and go back to 22ft.

Make both at 33ft, move to 50ft. Putt from your longest miss with both. Return to 33ft.

Make both at 50ft move to 66ft.

Etc.

Here's my method, based on two thoughts:

1. As you point out, you're not learning anything either making or missing all your putts. The maximum information comes when you make 50% of the putts.

2. During play, you never get to make a second putt from the same place, so there is no point practicing that.

So, start anywhere. If you make the putt move back. If you miss the putt move forward. A foot or a meter, doesn't matter.

You'll end up putting from a lot of different distances and making about 50% of your putts.

1. As you point out, you're not learning anything either making or missing all your putts. The maximum information comes when you make 50% of the putts.

2. During play, you never get to make a second putt from the same place, so there is no point practicing that.

So, start anywhere. If you make the putt move back. If you miss the putt move forward. A foot or a meter, doesn't matter.

You'll end up putting from a lot of different distances and making about 50% of your putts.

I think this is good, i know the game with 3 putters,
Make all 3 move back
Make 2 move stay
Make 1 move closer to basket.
Make 0, start over at comfortable distance.

I have played Putting Perfect 360, i dont like that because it does not reflect the % that well compared to points. I mean same point for a 10 feet putt as a 25 feet putt??!!
If i make 9 out of 10 at 20 and 25 i get around 170 points? if i make 10 both round i make around 250 points?

Im actually programming a game where the putts add 0,5 value each 5 feet and no bonus for first or last, just a "right amount" for all.
i mean if you make 2 putters, first and last in some distance you get more points than if you make 8 out of 10 and miss first and last. I know the "stress" is a factor but not that big.

I try to grind 100 putts to get about 90% and then back up, more like muscle memory like Brody Smith talks about in his putting video.

But should i only practice that distance? read that Eagle only practice at 20 feet (sounds unlikley)

You are over thinking this.

I also disagree with this. During practice DO NOT walk away with the wrong muscle memory. If you miss, correct it and try again from the same spot.

I completely disagree with much of this. Making 50% of your putts in practice is a recipe for making 50% of your putts in competition. Practice putts you can make. Your body already knows how to throw the disc into the basket from whatever distance. Convincing your subconscious that all putts go in is what you are trying to accomplish in practice.

I'm not sure of the value of practicing putts from specific distances, in building muscle memory. It's not as if you use different skills to putt from 26' and 31'. The main thing is building that muscle memory for the putting motion.

There may also be an advantage in practicing the longer, lower-percentage putts, in revealing flaws in your form. When I was young and had knees, I was a long shooter in basketball; but I'd practice longer shots than I'd use in the game, ironing out flaws and with the result that when I faced shorter shots, the hoop looked a lot bigger.

Which isn't to claim I know what's right; only that I suspect that practicing everything is a a good idea.

With the caveat that one benefit of regularly practicing set distances, could be in tracking your progress (or lack thereof).

I completely disagree with much of this. Making 50% of your putts in practice is a recipe for making 50% of your putts in competition. Practice putts you can make. Your body already knows how to throw the disc into the basket from whatever distance. Convincing your subconscious that all putts go in is what you are trying to accomplish in practice.

I agree. Visualization can be just as effective as physical practice, and much more efficient.

You could be right. Which is why I didn't advise anyone to do what I do. I just offered up one alternative.

I'm not able to deceive myself into thinking that because all my 15 foot putts went in, all my 30 foot putts will, too. I internalize the percentage at each distance and measure my disappointment during a round against that.

For me, the most helpful practice is when I remember how to not do whatever I did wrong that made me my putt miss.

But no one should aspire to be able to putt only as well as I do.

Last edited:
Pre-round the best putting practice is to go to a random spot, probably too far because I can't judge distance much, try to make a putt then missed. Go to the other side to another random spot and try to make a putt, repeat until one putt is made then, I think I'm ready to start my round.

Back in my day my friends pointed out then when I miss most putts when warming up before a round I normally have a hot round.

Weird and no reason why that would be anything to try but looking back that was true more than it wasn't.

I've heard some folks say not to practice indoors. I think it's important to get just the pure muscle memory aspect of this without other variables interfering, such as wind, and you can do that (if you have the room) inside. Yes, practicing how to navigate the other factors is important too, but I'd argue you've got to have your putting form down in terms of what your muscles and bones are doing so that you don't have to think too much about that when there's a tail or head or cross wind or a drop-off behind the basket, etc.

It works for me, at least. True, I don't make quite as many in rounds as I do in my basement, but my actual physical putting stroke isn't the forefront of my consciousness when I'm facing other variables in a real situation.

I'm not sure of the value of practicing putts from specific distances, in building muscle memory. It's not as if you use different skills to putt from 26' and 31'. The main thing is building that muscle memory for the putting motion.

There may also be an advantage in practicing the longer, lower-percentage putts, in revealing flaws in your form. When I was young and had knees, I was a long shooter in basketball; but I'd practice longer shots than I'd use in the game, ironing out flaws and with the result that when I faced shorter shots, the hoop looked a lot bigger.

Which isn't to claim I know what's right; only that I suspect that practicing everything is a a good idea.

With the caveat that one benefit of regularly practicing set distances, could be in tracking your progress (or lack thereof).

I disagree with the first part of this post. Muscles perform differently at 26 feet than they do at 31 feet. Maybe the general motion is the same, but if you repeat the exact same motion at 31' as you do at 26', you will hit the cage, alot. The body and mind make micro adjustments depending on distance and conditions (wind, grade, etc).

Last edited:
I disagree with the first part of this post. Muscles perform differently at 26 feet than they do at 31 feet. Maybe the general motion is the same, but if you repeat the exact same motion at 31' as you do at 26', you will hit the cage, alot. The body and mind make micro adjustments depending on distance and conditions (wind, grade, etc).

When my putt is right I will hit the chains at 31' the same I would at 26'.

What you described seems like you push/drop putt, in that case you are correct.

Not all putting styles are the same which I am sure you already know. :)

When my putt is right I will hit the chains at 31' the same I would at 26'.

What you described seems like you push/drop putt, in that case you are correct.

Not all putting styles are the same which I am sure you already know. :)

I'm mostly spin putter. You are correct though, a push / drop putter would need to adjust more for that 5' difference.

Latest posts