• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Online retailers who sell by "range"

DinosaurThunder

Double Eagle Member
In this ever competitive landscape for online disc sales, why do companies still sell in ranges? Example - Gotta Go Gotta Throw has you choose between a weight range, preference and then write in color options. DGU does the same and so do a few other retailers.

Each time I place an order I will typically get a phone call or email saying they don't have the preferences I am looking for. I end up backing out of the sale and this has now made me less inclined to do business with said retailer. I am now at the point where paying the up-charge from smaller retailers or waiting on free shipping from DGC is worth it to know exactly what I am getting.

What are your thoughts on selling discs this way? Do you think they need to shift towards listing each disc out?

Yeah no doubt, I order from DGC a bunch if I don't make it down to GGGT area for a while. I live in the sticks by BRP though so it's a drive. Sometimes I buy from BRP too, but they up charge a couple bucks plus tax, so really a few bucks more per disc.

The only thing I have ever ordered from GGGT was a Decodye, so I knew what I was getting. Otherwise, I pretty much stick with DGC, Infinite, or Community. Their prices are equal or better and I know exactly what I'm getting. If GGGT had way better prices, or something else to incent me to buy from them, I would shop there, but there's nothing they're offering I can't get elsewhere with better options.

GGGT Rewards program is legit. Most people dont care that much about exact color/wt. I fill preorders like this all the time and dont get complaints. DGCR users are the most picky really lol.

In this ever competitive landscape for online disc sales, why do companies still sell in ranges? Example - Gotta Go Gotta Throw has you choose between a weight range, preference and then write in color options. DGU does the same and so do a few other retailers.

Each time I place an order I will typically get a phone call or email saying they don't have the preferences I am looking for. I end up backing out of the sale and this has now made me less inclined to do business with said retailer. I am now at the point where paying the up-charge from smaller retailers or waiting on free shipping from DGC is worth it to know exactly what I am getting.

What are your thoughts on selling discs this way? Do you think they need to shift towards listing each disc out?

It does not bother me but I think it could cause confusion when an inventory audit is conducted or worse an IRS audit unless they just count each disc by mold and plastic and record the information in quickbooks and scan the packing slips. I have been to GGGT which is the largest dg store I have ever been in. The back room had more misprint discs than many retailers that claim to be dg stores. Some of these retailers may not have a sufficient inventory software which would probably make the process less frustrating for consumers and increase efficiency for the staff. When I was at GGGT three years ago, two guys were going back and forth from the computer to inventory looking for specific discs and weights for online orders which did not seem efficient but it seemed to work for them.

They also have a cartload of "not for sale" discs. Those are ones that have been set aside for online retail. It pisses me off, as that is often where the max weights end up.

I remember trying to buy a Z Zone that was on the cart, they told me I could purchase it online. Really. That was always a head scratcher to me.

Last edited:
They also have a cartload of "not for sale" discs. Those are ones that have been set aside for online retail. It pisses me off, as that is often where the max weights end up.

I remember trying to buy a Z Zone that was on the cart, they told me I could purchase it online. Really. That was always a head scratcher to me.

Those are not even added to the store yet generally...? Its new stock stuff. They will remove ebay listings if being sold online and hand you the disc at the store to purchase in store.. Ive had them check a few times to find a single ebay disc and theyve turned around and sold it to me no problem.

You find the "cool" stuff often on their ebay listings which are exact discs being sold..

Those are not even added to the store yet generally...? Its new stock stuff. They will remove ebay listings if being sold online and hand you the disc at the store to purchase in store.. Ive had them check a few times to find a single ebay disc and theyve turned around and sold it to me no problem.

You find the "cool" stuff often on their ebay listings which are exact discs being sold..

Maybe they just like you better than me? It is entirely possible, I talk a lot, and presumably, annoy the employees haha.

I go to GGGT because I like knowing exactly what I am getting. This is also the reason why I will not order discs online unless it is the only means of acquiring a certain disc. So, the prospect of anything inside of the store's walls being "not for sale" seems counter-intuitive to me, to say the least.

They weigh every disc, yes. But they do not quantify flatness or PLH variances. No substitute for being in the shop and picking your own, if you are lucky enough to have a local shop.

Tru dat! I am fortunate enough to have a decent store locally and I get up to Mass and play Maple Hill/shop at Marshall Street every fall.

They are really good at helping you out on the phone or by email if you want to go that route.

I am in the, no big deal camp. I use GGGT from time to time with great luck. I don't mind a weight range, I mean honestly, 1-2 grams of weight are a make or break deal? If your touch is sooo refined, you should be able to compensate for the difference anyway. Color??? I usually put "bright" down, always brings a smart return of color. Any time a question arises, those guys give me a call to make a decision.

As has been said, Marshall street is one, but I prefer DGC or disc golf center out of florida. They don't weigh each disc, but disc weight actually varies with humidity, hard to believe but it is my experience, and I've had retailers confirm it, so I always expect that discs may vary in wieght by up to 2 grams, even when I buy them from Marshall. And yes, I have my own scale. Two grams makes no significant difference in disc flight in my hands, no really.

What DGC does is a matrix of weight by color. It is very convenient and easy to use. On non-standard discs, they use a matrix that links to a picture of the disc. Last, you can select a free shipping option, slow as hades, but still. If you order four or more discs, if I recall, it auto selects a free, faster method.

If you're looking for bulge, or a lower center of mold, well that is tougher. The only time I've had luck there is with Millennium. I can literally drop them an email and ask them to look, and they've done it for me on Astras. But their retail price is higher.

Those who've told you the only way to guarantee those things is by holding the disc in your hand are correct. But the likelihood of a retailer having it per say, is the same as an online company having it. Three trips to your local store to get a domey disc is tough on the gas bill. Call ahead, or ask them to hold domey discs for you. I've had luck with this, but I have a good relationship with the local brick and mortar store.

The carts are for other stores that GGGT resells to. GGGT has such a huge stock that they act as regional re-seller/dealer for gas stations, PIAS, whatever.

I also hear tell that GGGT doesn't do actual inventory tracking because they routinely skim the books to avoid sales tax...

The carts are for other stores that GGGT resells to. GGGT has such a huge stock that they act as regional re-seller/dealer for gas stations, PIAS, whatever.

I also hear tell that GGGT doesn't do actual inventory tracking because they routinely skim the books to avoid sales tax...

I would be interested in the evidence of this. I generally look to do my business with reputable merchants. If you are reporting tax evasion, I would be more comfortable with the basis for such.

I would be interested in the evidence of this. I generally look to do my business with reputable merchants. If you are reporting tax evasion, I would be more comfortable with the basis for such.

Oh I don't have evidence, the proverbial "they" told me.

Latest posts