• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opinions on THIS basket placement

I never said that every shot should be the same. Having a tournament standard for the height of the basket off the ground, or "playing surface" would not be a bad thing. That's all I'm really saying.

It would be impractical for most tournaments, which are held on existing courses, many of which have baskets of varying heights. Players would rather have tournaments on these courses, than not. An argument could be made for a tighter standard on top events, though I'd disagree with that, too.

I think there are guidelines that you shouldn't have more than 1/3 of baskets at non-standard height, and that hanging baskets should be secured, at least for higher-tier events.

Target sizes are standard, but their placement need not be. Targets at different heights test different skills, putting styles, and decisions, especially in places where there is no little natural elevation to use. These buried baskets are a bit gimmicky, but they're also a bit challenging on long putts because of the different angle. Players are still throwing for the chains, because intending to skip or slide in is risky; discs kick one way or the other, or stop short.

I never said that every shot should be the same. Having a tournament standard for the height of the basket off the ground, or "playing surface" would not be a bad thing. That's all I'm really saying.

Why does the height off the playing surface matter? All that matters to me is the height relative to my throwing hand, which may be above the basket if I'm on a hill, or below it in a valley.

Flush with the ground is different, because the ground can guide the disc in. But, as soon as the rim of the tray is an inch above the ground, the putt is the same as if the ground around the basket were the "normal" height and you were standing on a hill.

To flip this, has anyone seen a basket where there the chain assembly is flush with a "ceiling"? High putts would be deflected down into the target.

Something I haven't seen done is have a target at regular height and construct a ramp in front up to the height of the basket rim that stops maybe 15-18 inches before the rim. You could skip or roll with enough speed where the ramp helps. But if your shot came up just a bit short, it might drop off the ramp just before reaching the rim.

Something I haven't seen done is have a target at regular height and construct a ramp in front up to the height of the basket rim that stops maybe 15-18 inches before the rim. You could skip or roll with enough speed where the ramp helps. But if your shot came up just a bit short, it might drop off the ramp just before reaching the rim.

Roller Ramp. Except that the basket is 8 feet away from the ramp instead of a few inches. But it is a thrill to throw a roller with the right speed and watch it hit the ramp, then sail that 8 feet into the basket.

MichaelsRollerAce_zps8e7c2cf8.jpg

OK prior post upon rereading comes off as trollish

I see no reason why baskets should be uniform height

A course near me has very low basket heights and I have a tough adjusting

Thats on me as a player to adjust

An older player once told me that baskets should be uniform in height so that putting feels like a free throw

I really do not see how this could ever be seen as a good thing

The same thing with those who reccomend treeless 10m greens

I understand that a hanging basket can be considered unfair for pdga play but imo unique basket positions that make a player uncomfortable are a good thing

Agreed opti. I dont even see how hanging baskets are not fair. Everyone plays on it really no different if you started a torunament early in the sun vs a later card in some rain and wind etc. Courses are full of uncontrollable variables from landings to kicks off or into things.

Ive never putted on any basket and thought hmm thats not fair... And i putt on cones probably once a week :gross: However there are LOTS of poorly designed holes which luck is a huge factor over skill reagrdless of thr basket and safety is overlooked.

I find the notion of uniform basket heights and obstacle-free 10m circles to be the ball golf equivalent of greens resembling pool tables: flat, smooth, and clean. In other words, boring. Can't say I ever hear ball golfers agitating for more greens like that.

I think I want to be putting uphill on that.

I'm sure I'd get my wish, either for my first on second putt.

no aces on this hole

At first glance I don't love it. But the video gives context. It's clearly a difficult hole relative to par; tees down a two track ledge on a hillside and appears to gain elevation for the right finishing 2nd shot. Very demanding birdie 3. And nobody's getting an ace on this one. That fairway shot Barry lays down is hard to replicate. I'll bet a lot of good shots land just off that two track fairway making for awkward stand still stances. So for the player it's a nice relief that the green of this hole is easier because of the buried basket. Barry had the only 3 in this (tiny) sample and he had to do it with a throw in, aided by the basket height (or lack thereof).
The time and place should make sense for a hole like this. In the short time thinking about this I have decided I think it should not be on an easy par 3 hole because, well, this little change up makes it a little easier. Fun and unique addition to a course. I like it...right time and place.

This and hanging baskets probably not good idea for our sports largest professional events.