• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opinions on THIS basket placement

JNichols

Smelling the Shame
Saw this for the first time today on the Youtube. What do y'all think of this basket placement?
fd28ebfc-2336-4fbe-ba7b-2f86ae071984_zpsguz4o9dx.png

afc786ae-073c-47f2-8f77-806743c1dc73_zpsp2i52u41.png

Interesting idea, I remember years ago seeing a picture of a course in Sweden (I think) where it was a similar concept but the basket was half buried in a deck of sorts. It seemed like the shot they were trying to encourage was a shuffleboard-esque slider to get in the basket. (Anyone know the course I'm thinking of?)

Seems like a novel twist, but I think much more appropriate for a casual/introductory course than for a tournament. It has the opposite effect of an elevated basket in terms of difficulty (see the 9:20 mark for evidence.)

So if you were running league or tournament on a course like this with an ace pot, you'd be dumb not to pay in... Or would you be dumb to pay in? To hit an ace you usually have to hit a very specific point, whereas here you can hit the ground on a line to the basket and let the disc trickle in. This makes the target area much larger and thus increases the chances of an ace.

So if you were running league or tournament on a course like this with an ace pot, you'd be dumb not to pay in... Or would you be dumb to pay in? To hit an ace you usually have to hit a very specific point, whereas here you can hit the ground on a line to the basket and let the disc trickle in. This makes the target area much larger and thus increases the chances of an ace.

Trickle in how, exactly? Rolling, skipping, sliding? All fairly unpredictable outcomes. I mean, if one can throw accurately enough to get a controlled "trickle" into that basket, then I would expect that person could throw it in on a target set at a "normal" height just as easily. If a disc found its way into that basket on a roll/skip/slide and stuck, is it really any different than skipping off the ground or bouncing off a tree into a "normal" height target? Same amount of pure luck, no?

I'd bet that this basket placement sees no more aces than any other "normal" height target on a hole of similar length/shape.

Nothing wrong with an in-ground target like that. Adds to the variety of the game and when used correctly, adds something to a hole.

Ever lay up on hardpack? You just hit it short and let the disc slide to the pin. Yeah, sometimes roots/rocks/etc get in the way but not always. You can hit 10ft short, you can hit 30ft short, you're still hitting the pin - or in this case chains. That's why I mean the target area is much larger. If you throw a shot 30ft short on a regular basket you're not getting an ace.

Imagine if you got an ace every time you hit the pin on a drive.

I've played the sunken basket hole at the Hippodrome and enjoyed it. I wouldn't want to see 18 of them on a course, but once in a while is fine.

I've played the sunken basket hole at the Hippodrome and enjoyed it. I wouldn't want to see 18 of them on a course, but once in a while is fine.

Trophy Lakes has one, and I feel exactly the same. It's fun. Two in one state are probably enough.

Though, beyond a certain age, it can be a pain retrieving made shots. And by "pain" I mean, well, pain.

Trophy Lakes has one, and I feel exactly the same. It's fun. Two in one state are probably enough.

Though, beyond a certain age, it can be a pain retrieving made shots. And by "pain" I mean, well, pain.

LOVE it, David. :clap::clap::clap: Although, it makes me feel just plain Lazy when I watch Barry Schultz bend down to do something and I am thinking, "I don't want to do that!". :D

Also, that Double Mando Sunkin Basket hole looks Gnarly. O.O

Last edited: