• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Orbital Distance Driver

I can't see how an Orbital would make anyone a better disc golfer. The 1 I threw was perhaps the flippiest disc I've ever seen. I threw it hyzer and with less than 3/4 power.... and it instantly barrel rolled right into the ground.

I can see the virtue of some understable discs, but the Orbital is WAAAAYYYYY too understable to be of use. I got so frustrated with that disc I purposely left it on the course. I feel bad for whomever found it and thought they were getting something good.

I've thrown starlite Bosses and every sort of Mamba. Any of those are still far easier to keep in the air than the Orbital. Makes a Leopard look beefy.

The Catalyst will flip if thrown really hard and flat, but it is still a whole hell of a lot beefier than the Orbital.

Shoulda sent that Orbital to me instead of leaving it on the course. ;)

I think I said somewhere earlier in this thread that the Orbital makes a pretty darn good roller. With the grass on my home course dying for the winter, I might have to put the Orbital back in my bag for roller duties on a few open holes...

To give you an idea of my arm speed, I can make a Fission (150g) Photon stand up to flat before fading. It goes a little more than 300'.

I just got a 155g Orbital so I could learn turning shots without having to change my wrist angle too much from a hyzer...even at my power level this thing flips completely over in anything other than a tailwind with extreme hyzer release.

How does this compare to the Catalyst?

I am in the 300+ max d range and the Vanish and Wave 155g to 160g are my recommendation. Wave is stable and Vanish is a good understable. Catalyst still felt a bit overstable to me because I can't throw it fast enough. I also prefer the grip on Mvp 11-12 speed divers, they just fit my hand well. A max weight orbital would probably be good for a full turnover shot at my power. I just prefer Roadrunners and Mambas for that shot.

Last edited:
My sidearm is starting to come along and I'm finding that the Orbital is getting some good distance. Still need to dial it in, though, before I bag it.

Shoulda sent that Orbital to me instead of leaving it on the course. ;)

I think I said somewhere earlier in this thread that the Orbital makes a pretty darn good roller. With the grass on my home course dying for the winter, I might have to put the Orbital back in my bag for roller duties on a few open holes...

What if I said the thing was so understable I couldn't even roll it?:D

I threw it fairly normally and the Orbital went dive bombing right into the ground like a lawn dart.

I don't often roll discs (courses here aren't usually flat enough). When I do I prefer to use something fast and only moderately flippy.

I need something less flippy than the Orbital, but more flippy than the Vanish.

I really need it now since I just cut rolled that stupid Orbital into the lake.:thmbdown:

I really need it now since I just cut rolled that stupid Orbital into the lake.:thmbdown:

Thats a pretty niche spot. Maybe you just need to find the right weight between those discs. My max weight Orbital flies nothing like the 155 one I have, that one is a flippy turd. Not sure Mvp has a disc that fits in that slot. Find a Mamba in a weight that flips the way you want it or maybe a Dga Sail?

What if I said the thing was so understable I couldn't even roll it?:D

I threw it fairly normally and the Orbital went dive bombing right into the ground like a lawn dart.

I don't often roll discs (courses here aren't usually flat enough). When I do I prefer to use something fast and only moderately flippy.

All the more reason to send it to me. :)

And you obviously don't know your own strength, since you were overpowering that poor Orbital. :D

I usually use my Pink Panther as my roller, but I'm going to try the Sphinx for rollers and see how it does...

Last edited:

I throw mostly Waves and a Vanish for distance drivers, but I also usually carry a King as my flippiest and longest driver. Not even remotely the same hand feel as the gyro 21.5mm drivers, but it's long, fast, and controllably understable. The biggest negative with the King is that it struggles in the wind.

Thats a pretty niche spot. Maybe you just need to find the right weight between those discs. My max weight Orbital flies nothing like the 155 one I have, that one is a flippy turd. Not sure Mvp has a disc that fits in that slot. Find a Mamba in a weight that flips the way you want it or maybe a Dga Sail?

Yep weight for sure will play with stability on these molds. Can't even imagine wanting a US mold to split hairs which MVP already has..... But?

It's possible that rxrxr is particular on weights. I know I personally struggle with consistency throwing anything below 163-165 or so, and I would much rather get my understability from a mold that is designed to fly less stable rather than one that molds up that way as a 150 class disc. It's the main reason I still haven't picked up a 150's Photon to fill the slot next to my 171g Wave; I'll try one eventually, but I fully expect to suck with it even if it has the amount of turn & fade I'm looking for. In the meantime I'll keep hucking Trespasses when I want that flight shape.

Maybe I'll try a heavier Orbital.

Plasma is here!
29c8883d90276fcfa4f5cc879daffff0.jpg
d78fffd1d8b44a779f296b29099e8d13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

looks cool but like everything over 5 speed it won't fly for me since I cannot figure out how to throw things no matter what gets said in the tech forum :wall:

looks cool but like everything over 5 speed it won't fly for me since I cannot figure out how to throw things no matter what gets said in the tech forum :wall:
Watching the "Overthrow Disc Golf" channel on YouTube helped me out a ton.

I'm on injured reserve right now. Might play later this week. They 173+

I've never thrown Orbitals...are they just silly flippy? Understable driver is such a tough slot in the bag to nail down. Right now I am bagging an OOP disc (DD Renegade) for when I need more flip than a Wave. I've tried hunting the perfect Mamba but have found the Mambas that fly well for me are actually freakishly overstable for the mold. Vanishes have been in and out of my bag but it's hard to find a Vanish with any dome (which is what I prefer in an understable disc).

I've never thrown Orbitals...are they just silly flippy? Understable driver is such a tough slot in the bag to nail down. Right now I am bagging an OOP disc (DD Renegade) for when I need more flip than a Wave. I've tried hunting the perfect Mamba but have found the Mambas that fly well for me are actually freakishly overstable for the mold. Vanishes have been in and out of my bag but it's hard to find a Vanish with any dome (which is what I prefer in an understable disc).

Try a domey plasma relativity.

Try a domey plasma relativity.

Nah, I finally learned that me and giant rims don't mesh. Speed 11-shaped discs are my wheelhouse for both grip and arm speed. Wraith, Trespass, Photon/Wave/Vanish, Renegade, etc.