• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oregon Park ~ Atlanta Georgia

swright4

Hey all, I'm new to this forum but definitely not new to forums in general. This course is my hometown course thought definitely not the only one I've played. I figured as a good introduction I'd open up a discussion/Q&A session about the upcoming addition of 18 (yes 18) new holes to an already 18 hole course and how the course is played, as well as introduce myself. So a little about me: I'm 15 and have been playing Disc Golf for less than a year yet I hit my first regulation Ace 2 months in and shoot an average of 5- par on medium range courses. My favorite disc is the Innova Starfire, as Casey Moretz will attest to ;) So yeah, that's me. I'm looking forward to learning more about Disc Golf and reaching the point where I'm participating in (and keeping with) competition in our area.

I wish they would put in a solid 18 instead of adding 18 more. If land permits maybe a 27 but the current 18 is too compact, hell we had issues with it at an ace race...right Scott?

The install of 18 new holes at Oregon has been in talks for years and IMHO I'll believe it when I see it.

You should see how torn up hole 2 is right now as they get ready to make the changes. They bought the land from the driving range to Dallas Highway and it is there where they are adding the other 18 holes.

I agree that the current course has too many holes that are too close to one another. However, it puts a small piece of land to some use and some of those holes are kinda fun. By leaving those 18 and (hopefully) installing 18 new, more difficult (longer) holes some of the issue will be alleviated as some will still play the old course and some will want to play the new one. If they eliminate the current course the new course however good it may or may not be will still be packed full of 5-somes and 8-somes and lots and lots of beginners.

Let's just hope the new course actually goes in and lets really hope it doesn't suck.

I think they will do a good job. I am looking forward to seeing what happens. I played yesterday and things do look different around there, They are cutting lots of trees down and took out about a forth of number 2's fairway.

swright4, I hope to see you around...

They are trying to raise the money for them. Anytime there is action on the course some of the money each person paid in is kept for course fund and I know they're asking for basket donations.

I just wish the teens at Oregon Park weren't such idiots. The last time I was there I happened to join up with a guy and his 6 year old daughter.

Three times in the round his daughter was almost hit with disc(within 2 feet of her, one within 6 inches of her face). I could believe how dumb these kids were that they would tee off right into groups still playing the hole. It wasn't even an isolated incident seeing that it was three different groups of teens who almost hit her.

Due to this idiocy I have written off the course and now mainly play at Sequoyah even though it is a tad farther from my house in Marietta.

I just wish the teens at Oregon Park weren't such idiots. The last time I was there I happened to join up with a guy and his 6 year old daughter.

Three times in the round his daughter was almost hit with disc(within 2 feet of her, one within 6 inches of her face). I could believe how dumb these kids were that they would tee off right into groups still playing the hole. It wasn't even an isolated incident seeing that it was three different groups of teens who almost hit her.

Due to this idiocy I have written off the course and now mainly play at Sequoyah even though it is a tad farther from my house in Marietta.

The same thing happened when I took my nine year old son there to play a few months ago. Thus, it was probably our first and last time playing Oregon Park, unfortunately.

I was under the impression that the sports complex is expanding onto the current 18 hole course and a totally new course is going to be built. The current course will no longer exist. I'm not sure I'm following it all though.

Here is your best place to keep up with the expansion:
http://cobbdiscgolf.com/oregon-park-expansion.html
And here's a picture if you want to pass on the link:
bullard-stockton-master-plan.png

On top of that, ask Lewis about it

This is actually on my wish list, because i'm origionally from Georgia, but didn't start Playing until after I moved to Alabama. But Thanks for the warning! I'll be sure to watch behind me when playing this course

Yeah, I'll agree that most of the teens (correction: most of the drug addicts) are very inconsiderate. But that's not all of us. Look at the bright side.

I'm the webmaster for the Cobb disc golf club. Expansion from 9 to 18 holes had been a pipe dream for what, a decade, but roughly 1 year ago (to the month), the relationship we've been developing with the county paid off, and we got permission to expand the layout to 18 holes. Then during the year last year, the county bought a massive piece of land for parkland expansion. In the image above, it's basically everything South of a line about 50' South of the tennis courts. This is literally multiplying the size of the park by severalfold, and a local referendum determined that we have enough ballfields around, and the new parkland should be reserved for "passive" play areas. That works really well for disc golf, which requires very little infrastructure and very little disturbance of the land. So our continued good relationship with the county has opened up a large part of the new land for installation of more disc golf. What has been made available to us will more than double the acreage that's useable for disc golf, and another part of the park that we had permission to build on but no way to connect to because of the layout of the baseball fields, is now accessible and has been serendipitously cleared by recent sewer line construction.

So we most definitely have plenty of room for 36 or more GOOD holes in the park. The trick is laying it out right, now that we have plenty of land, and raising the money for the baskets. The county has basically alloted $0 for disc golf, though they do mow the existing fairways. That means all the $ have to be raised by our club. The Friends of the Park Tournament on April 24 is the best way you can help, or you can join our club.

And the rumor that a recent poster just started about ballfields taking over the current layout is completely false, unless the county has been directly lying to our club's board of directors. The "master plan" drawing above is a bit confusing, and it was created almost a year ago as a "proposal" for what to do with the land. Take it more as a rough draft than a final plan.

As for the "improvements" going on in the park this month, I think the county got a wild hair and wanted to clear some shule while they were putting in new sewer development. Pretty soon they'll be demolishing the Swing Time driving range building and putting an access road in to new parking on the new property. We may be forced to wait for that before we can lay out new holes, but be assured that expanding disc golf is clearly in the county's plans for the new property, and that we have a professional designer associated with Innova who has agreed to help us design the new layout. :D

Last edited:
Also the club is aware that there are several less favored holes in the park, specifically the ones on the North side of the creek. We're going to move a couple of those, and improve the ones that stay. But our professional designer (for some reason I can't think of his name off the top of my head) should be able to help us with that.

... I hate to take this thread by storm when everyone else is asleep, but I do feel I should acknowledge the bad mojo the "teens" are producing at OP. I'm sorry to hear about small children being thrown on by rude teenagers. I hope the parents confronted these kids before they left and wrote off the park forever. I'd hate to see an exodus of parent-child groups from OP, as I've been increasingly encouraged by their growing population there recently. It really is a beginner-friendly course, so we should be doing what we can to make beginners feel welcome.

As for the drug use y'all are reporting, please be aware that as a club, we're trying to crack down on the booze and weed at the park. We haven't been deputized by the county to patrol for the police (perish the thought!), but we believe we've drastically reduced it by forbidding it during our organized events. My personal experience among the teenagers, at least recently, has been to see a lot of cigarette smoking, but very little illegal drug use. I'm also usually playing much faster than the 6some-8some teenagers groups, so I didn't realize they were so willing to throw on small children. I'm sorry to hear the reports, but I do still swell with pride when I see a growing number of "family" outings, with young and old alike in one group, at Oregon Park, and more than at most other disc golf courses nearby. I want to believe we're a breeding ground for the next generation. :)

Lewis...for some reason you give me confidence, I guess because I know you are not full of it. I look forward to the developments.

My major beef with the other side of the creek holes is the lack of proper bridges...hopefully you won't have to deal with that in the future, though one big hole on that side would be cool.