• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Wanted] Original DX San Marino/Ontario ROCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncgamedog

Birdie Member
As the title says...

Looking for some older DX Rocs
1st Sannys
2nd Ontarios
3rd Ranchos ( NON-Plus feeling rim)

Orange and 180g preferred

Thanks
- Justin

You want heavy ones, I want lighter ones (168-172) got anything to trade? Cuz the few heavy ones I have are custom and impossible to replace.

What exactly do you mean by custom? I assume the stamp?
For me, I don't value the stamp at all...I like the disc for their flight. I'm not a collector in the traditional sense...my wife (and I agree) would never allow me to decorate our house with old golf disc. Lol

What ever I buy cycles into my bag. Same logic behind daily driving a 68 Chevy 4x4, just wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm glad there are folks like that though, so that I can still buy NOS (OOP) disc.

But to finally answer your actual question....I doubt I'd have anything to trade you'd want to have. Other than the normal lame old dollars, and I know they don't fly well or make good decor ;)

Yes by custom I mean custom artwork. While I know some folks don't necessarily "add" value to such a disc - the ones I have acquired over the years are part of a larger historical DG story. Old clubs, and defunct vendors made some pretty cool stuff along the way.

For instance, below we have a Caped Cod from the Professional Fish Golf Association, and a Skull and Crossbones from the HOF Members John David and Patti Kunkle's IFO store in Atlanta. Both awesome discs, but it would take a good trade to get either one - and by that I mean a trade w/ very narrow parameters. Otherwise NFS. The yellow is marked 177, the orange 178 - two of very few heavies I own. Both date from between 90-92 - hard stiff flat - most certainly stable (although they've never been thrown so I can't vouch for anything other than what the disc is.) Largely I collect only things I would throw. Somewhere along the way I discovered discs last me a really long time so I have a lot of old unthrown plastic.

Last edited:
Yeah I can defenitly appreciate the history, those are both very cool!
I'd love to have either or both, but I'm sure I'm no where near enough of a conesuer to match you on a trade.

I love my micro-brews, and my single malt scotch, but when it comes to wine, it's all just alcoholic grape juice to me. Kinda the same here...

I havent tried a bottle of red I didn't like yet, but my father in law can take one sip and tell you the whole story of that bottle back to the first rain drop that fell in provence the year that grape was born.

I know I like it, but I just don't know enough to fully appreciate it the way I should.

I'll go a head and ask though...what would fall within those narrow parameters for a trade?

I'd be looking for rocs of the same vintage (San Marino's from '90-92) Hard, stiff, flat in 168-172g weight range in blue, red, purple, or black.

Yep! Fresh out...I do have a wanted thread over in the marketplace looking for that very thing. Maybe talk to smokinjoe he has some and is really wishy washy too.

**MODS: Can we move this thread to the equipment forum, and retitle it post pics of your awsome old ROCs that are not for sale?

@ anyone else viewing this thread: I'm really not trying to be an ass here (especially being new to the forum), but this is a WANTED thread, and I'm a serious buyer. It's beginning to get annoying having my only real responses to this thread be basically dangling a dog treat in front of a pit bull.

Wasn't trying to be a tease. And to be fair - your OP never mentioned either buying OR trading - so I thought I was being decent by offering. I know how hard it is to find "exactly what you want" in vintage plastic. I think I've acquired only one SM Roc that fits my criteria in the last 5 years. Good luck in your search - I'm sure there are heavies out there for sale.

Yep! Fresh out...I do have a wanted thread over in the marketplace looking for that very thing. Maybe talk to smokinjoe he has some and is really wishy washy too.

**MODS: Can we move this thread to the equipment forum, and retitle it post pics of your awsome old ROCs that are not for sale?

@ anyone else viewing this thread: I'm really not trying to be an ass here (especially being new to the forum), but this is a WANTED thread, and I'm a serious buyer. It's beginning to get annoying having my only real responses to this thread be basically dangling a dog treat in front of a pit bull.

Not wishy washy, just know what I want for my discs that I've had stored in ziplock bags in a box for over 10 years. If I can't get $75 shipped for two mint, heavy Sannys, then I'll just keep them. Good luck on your search.

Not wishy washy, just know what I want for my discs that I've had stored in ziplock bags in a box for over 10 years. If I can't get $75 shipped for two mint, heavy Sannys, then I'll just keep them. Good luck on your search.

Its fine. I can appreciate what you hard core collectors do, bc without folks like you there wouldn't be new old stock available. That being said, I personally don't have the mindset for it. I have a good deal of experience trading in other areas and know how difficult it is to realize a return on an investment on something like this. I guess I don't understand storing them in a box for 10 yrs. I can if the original intent was solely for profit return on initial investment, but with that much invested in time and storage, I doubt that was the intent. Based on that measure you'd have to get way more than a reasonable resale price to even break even (~$1000+ IMO). So what is the benift to you to have stored them like that? Just the piece of mind that you have them? You're not decorating with them, or throwing them...is it like baseball cards or something, pull them out of the box from time-to-time look at them, then put them away?
My initial offer for all three discs was within $2.67 each of what the one sold at auction for. Given that auction prices are typically on the high end of true market value, I think the offer was pretty fair. I had to lose one of the discs just to find that out, which was exactly what I anticipated anyway. So yeah its a little wishy washy to me. You offered them to me, bc I really want them to use as they were intended, turned down an offer that was very close to what you ended up getting anyway, and lost one of your collection. I just don't follow the logic. If time is worth money, you could have sold them all to me in less time than it would have taken to keep up with the auction. So when you factor in all the time from posting, worrying abt the auction and all that you probably netted less profit on the sale of the one disc than you would have "lost" selling the lot to me. But that's the way it goes with trading, I just learned how to be efficient and profitable at it over the years. No hard feelings, its just a shame, cause it feels like we both lost on that deal.

Well the original intent on purchasing the discs was to throw them, but people's preferences change over time and I changed to the Buzzz. So now I have lots of Rocs, new and used. It's not like it's an unpopular mold and as you can tell, it's getting harder to find old, mint Rocs. Good luck with your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts