• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] OS = "training wheels."

Throwing forehand is really hard on the arm/body. I have no clue how you managed 4 hours of it.:eek:

In all seriousness...I switched this last year from all/mostly forehand to forehand only in emergencies because it was too hard on my body, despite all the baseball I play

In all seriousness...I switched this last year from all/mostly forehand to forehand only in emergencies because it was too hard on my body, despite all the baseball I play

When I started playing DG about 15 years ago I threw everything forehand. I realized it just wasn't going to work, so I learned backhand. Backhand is way easier on the body, and I throw MUCH further backhand than I ever did forehand.

What kinds of injuries have you guys had throwing forehand?

I'm 57 and about 50/50 BH/FH and have had no FH related injuries. Played baseball into my early 40's so the motion and muscle memory feels natural. That's not to say I'm not occasionally sore if I play a lot a couple days in a row. That's mostly from being old though. I'm wise enough to rest my arm for a few days when I'm sore.

Stretch, warm up and don't try to torque OS discs for distance unless you're young and strong.

I've never injured myself throwing forehand, but it isn't a motion I feel like I can duplicate a whole much of times at full speed. Its hard on the bicep and elbow. I feel like if I played a round strictly forehand I'd have a case of bicep tendinitis by the end of it.

Backhand I can do all day and it feels great.

In the end, I agree. Only you can ultimately decide which discs work best for you for certain shots. Heck, I see tons and tons of people use speed 12 and above discs on 330' holes.

I see more players use a driving OS putter and what ever OS disc is the shortest for the shot these players simply have a bag like this to do the Driving all the time never having to switch and do forehand when needing a right fade shot with those discs. Then when putting then they have a US or 100% neutral straight line putter if they are not hyzer putting. However most of these players are basing a bag style off of the pros that use this method and amateur players have a bag with 20 discs each a different mold for a different shot.

Last edited:
I agree. Its easy to get hung up on using overstable drivers a lot to cover for poor form. I've even been known to do it myself. I'll throw an XCal or Flick on holes where a hard Roc3 shot would work. Simply because I want to throw a disc hard and let the reliable hyzer path work.

I'd feel much less confident throwing something like a Sidewinder on such throws.

I've slowly moved away from my dependence on such overstable discs. I still bag the XCal and Flick, but I use them in more traditional roles now. I've been pushing my mids out further lately. Nice, straight shots that I used to use really overstable drivers for.

Oh, and I'm that guy who finds Leopards useless. I like some understable drivers, but not the Leopard. No matter how I throw the thing it flips. Violently.

I find Leopard useless simply due to when Innova changed up the mold in the 2000's during the introduction of the Champion. Even DX mold is not quite the same as the DX I had from 2004. The Disc flies different from when I threw the older versions.

ITT: A lot of butts getting hurt. LUL!!!

There is validity to both sides of this. Yes, OS discs on flex lines are used by new players to compensate for poor form. There aren't a lot of people out there arguing whether that it's bad for them long term. (although I do hear that on occasion) There is also a lot of benefit to having understable molds that you can control much better on tight lines. As a Michigan disc golfer, the woods are my home, so I carry plenty of understable plastic. Moreover, most pros do, as well. For pure distance in open air, if you have the power for it, a stable to overstable disc will always be your best bet. As I said, validity on both sides, and a lot of people taking things personally, which amuses me.