• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Out of storage - back in the bag

Did some field practice today with midranges. Had to put my R-Pro Skeeter in my bag. Stupid thing flies like a putter...dead straight, drops like a rock after gliding a long way...fits perfectly between my understable/overstable mids. For some reason I just don't like the disc, but you can't argue with evidence.

A couple ESP Surges. A 167 and a 171. Both perfect drivers. Domey with lots of glide. Both have been in the bag at least 3 years. I've looked for reasons to boot them and have at times replaced them with faster, longer drivers. However, the two Surges always work their way back in. I'm so familiar with them I know exactly what they'll do on every throw. Needless to say I've acknowledged the fact that the Surge is a top notch driver and will remain in my bag indefinitely.

Took my Tursas out of the bag last year and replaced with a Theory. Tursas is my only ace disc and I didn't really want to lose it more than not liking it. Put it back in a couple weeks ago and had several ace run near misses that I haven't seen with the Theory so I picked up a second Tursas. Technically the ace Tursas is back in storage again, but the mold is now back in the bag.

Bought 4 high 160's yellow F2 teebirds like two years ago. I beat in one into turnover and one into straight and had two fresh. Well i lost both fresh ones in like a span of two weeks, so i took em all out and used a different setup.

Somebody found one of the fresh ones so i stuck the triplets back in the bag. Star teebird and leopard3 out atm.

My old PFN Star Aviar P&A. One of the first discs I ever bought and I putted with it for years. But then it sat in a box for several more years once I switched to baseline putters. Pulled it out when I started throwing Tanks since they share the same wing and I love throwing it -- sweeping hyzers, hyzer flip to straight, big turnovers. Love it.

And Destroyers.

I was using the Star Tern, and took it out to try other discs. After a few months and many rounds trying other things, the Tern has made its way back into my bag now, and for keeps.

Bought a 178g Z Drone a few years ago while I was auditioning OS mids. The Wasp won out at that time but I grew to hate the bead. Then I switched to a Zone for a long while but I grew tired of the slow speed (too hard to work). Glad I held on to the Drone because it has been working out really well. FH or BH this thing is very dependable and really comfortable to grip.

All the time.

I periodically play the short course near my office with just 1 or 2 discs---not necessarily out of my bag, but new discs, or discs I previously tried and didn't like, or old discs that I'd previously retired. Occasionally one, from any of these categories, will win a spot in the starting lineup, with newfound characteristics, or to fill a hole in the lineup that had recently opened.

Which is how, earlier this year, I looked in my bag of 12 to 15 discs, and realized I was carrying 2 discs that were part of the players pack for the 2001 Am Worlds, including perhaps the last Lightning Prostyle Z-1 on active duty. (Since then the Millenium JLS shattered---they promised it would be durable but it only lasted 15 years---and the Z-1 benched, probably for something else out of the castaway box).

Yeah, always give those old soldiers another chance. You may be surprised how much fight they still have left in them. Or how a few years in a dark box will have given them the motivation to fly better. Or, hard as it is to believe, how your game has changed.

I recently shelved all of my bagged discs and swapped them for red/pink discs that I had in storage (my hoard is up to ~175 discs, so I was able to put together a bag covering all the slots that I needed). Why? Sh!ts and giggles I suppose.

The second time playing with the 'red' bag, I won a tag round. Further proof that it's the archer, not the arrow. Nothing is irreplaceable, except for sentimental value.

Further proof that it's the archer, not the arrow. Nothing is irreplaceable, except for sentimental value.

True. Though I have a beat-to-death DX Stingray that will flip over like nothing off the shelf, for certain get-out-of-trouble shots that have to turn over and hold it, no matter how high or softly thrown. It's the disc that I'd least like to lose, for other than sentimental value, and at the same time, hope to not use, since I intend to not get into the kind of trouble that I need it for.

Recently was the trespass for me. I kept flipping over my beat in trespass and I immaturely took it out of the bag immediately and simultaneously fell in love with the bio enforcer as my main driver. I wasn't getting the same distance but I could entrust it in the KS wind. Big mistake...need the trespass for big distance.

All the time.

I periodically play the short course near my office with just 1 or 2 discs---not necessarily out of my bag, but new discs, or discs I previously tried and didn't like, or old discs that I'd previously retired. Occasionally one, from any of these categories, will win a spot in the starting lineup, with newfound characteristics, or to fill a hole in the lineup that had recently opened.
Yeah, always give those old soldiers another chance. You may be surprised how much fight they still have left in them. Or how a few years in a dark box will have given them the motivation to fly better. Or, hard as it is to believe, how your game has changed.
After repeatedly seeing mention of Polecats and other lids here on DGCR, I recently tried out my 171g R-Pro Polecat on my local short course. Now that Polecat is a fixture in my bag (although it somehow got left out for the benefit tournament that I played in yesterday, and did I miss it!). Roadrunners have also found their way back in the bag, as has my Amp (which I hadn't been using because I didn't want to lose it :doh:). A used Starfire that I bought for a trip as a disposable disc, and haven't used before, has now become part of the bag when windy for use in headwinds.

Definitely a good thing to revisit the discs in storage! :thmbup:

After a really bad round, I dug through my stash, redid my bag and added a 149 Star Lite Mamba. Bought it but never gave it a chance. Right now it is a go to disc.

My most recent wasn't a "back in the bag". It's a disc I have carried on every round I have played since probably 2004. My champion beast. It was the first distance driver I bought, but I soon replaced it with wraiths. Since than it has been a trouble shot disc. Stuck in something thick? Meh, pull out the Beast a toss a thumber. Worried about water? Meh, toss the beast.

Well, I lost my nicely beat in roadrunner and no longer had a good disc for 250+foot anny lines than hold it to the ground. My home course has a few holes where that is a must. Well, back to the well I went. Let's give the old beast a try. Thing holds an anny line like a champ. Now I need to find a new "I'm in absolute junk and I'm just going to throw this disc thay I don't care about" disc.

Latest posts