• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

over 400ft?

My advice is to keep playing. Take care to reinforce some good habits in your head if things start to go wrong. You will have good days and bad days. If you focus on keeping your form clean, not trying too hard and just enjoy yourself your distance will stretch as you play more.

I've been playing for a little under 3 years and every summer I come back from the off-season it seems I can throw a little farther. Stick with it, immerse yourself in the sport and enjoy, you will get there.

My advice is to keep playing. Take care to reinforce some good habits in your head if things start to go wrong. You will have good days and bad days. If you focus on keeping your form clean, not trying too hard and just enjoy yourself your distance will stretch as you play more.

I've been playing for a little under 3 years and every summer I come back from the off-season it seems I can throw a little farther. Stick with it, immerse yourself in the sport and enjoy, you will get there.

Which course do you tend to play when youre in town? Since I noticed you're a Chicagoian as well! :) And Thanks!

I was watching Youtube (the link -->) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A16c4YqWBvU

and ran into this guy, So i'd need to throw a bit anhyser to get it to run s curve because the first throw he attempted to do is close to what i throw but I start from the bottom like yanking a cord from a lawnmower.. but the release is at the same angle so is that why my discs keeps going straight and fade? If I start throwing it 5 degrees anhyser it'd do the s curves?

I was watching Youtube (the link -->) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A16c4YqWBvU

and ran into this guy, So i'd need to throw a bit anhyser to get it to run s curve because the first throw he attempted to do is close to what i throw but I start from the bottom like yanking a cord from a lawnmower.. but the release is at the same angle so is that why my discs keeps going straight and fade? If I start throwing it 5 degrees anhyser it'd do the s curves?

I am actually in school in Champaign right now, but when I am home for the summer I will be playing Monday Doubles at Willow Stream in Buffalo Grove, and Tuesday Doubles at Adler Park in Libertyville. Willow Stream is my home course though (quite unfortunately.) Hit me up via PM and we can set up a time to play over the summer. I may not be much help form-wise though as I throw primarily FH, but I'll try to help anyway I can.

Discs that i use to throw..

I use Wizard SSS putter, Standing throw- 250's feet, with the X-steps 320's

Midrange- Shark, Roc, Buzzz, around 280-300's standing and 350's with X-steps But with Stingray glide is longer . The farthest i've thrown with midrange was around 375ft

Dont really use fairway drivers.

Drivers, Wraith, Groove, Katana, Nuke, Destroyer, Valkyrie, Orc, Roadrunner and Monarch. Standing throw around 300-350ft.. With X steps Most of them stay around 390's farthest was 430ft.. I saw some video about the Hammer throw practice, There was only rare events that i felt the disc literally rip out of my hand, index finger felt "indian burned" by the disc, But still at the area of 400. I know most courses only have less than 400ft around here like 350ft 275ft, so i dont need to go farther, but would be good to learn how to harness that though..
I'd highly recommend considering throwing in a fairway driver. It sounds like you may be close to, if not already half hitting but might not have as much nose down as needed to get your discs to reach their potential. Fairway speed drivers will require more nose down than your mids, but not as much as the faster discs and they'll give much better feedback. They're also much easier to learn line shaping with, which, as others have pointed out, can help you gain some D. In other words, there seems to be a bit of a gap in your skills that learning to throw fairway drivers usually covers. I'd just grab a couple low end plastic Eagle-X's, Cyclones or Gazelles and work on throwing them far and on all different lines. It will get easier and easier to do as they beat up and as you get better at it.

One of the biggest factors for increasing my distance recently is late acceleration. I used to pull hard from the back of my reach back through the release. When I started with a more relaxed grip and using my hips to bring my arm to my chest, and at that point pulling hard, I noticed a good increase in distance.

Instead of your arm moving at the same speed through the pull, you need to be accelerating as you release.

Tighten your grip late, accelerate late. You should be loose and smooth until that last moment.

I'm not an expert, just my 2 cents.

Hey myroomisajunkyard,

You can find Ziggy's ASL dg videos by searching for "kent's disc golf lessons" in YouTube.

You might want to check out http://ddga.org as there is forum for deaf disc golfers.
DDGA do have annual national tournaments and this year it is going to be at Seattle in July.
See this year national tournament site: http://wa12.org/ It would be cool if you could come :)

Yeah hammer pounds, Dan Beto's vid, "late acceleration" are very good (correct) suggestions to improve driving distance. There will be new video on backhand driving, look for Discmania's Deep In The Game in YouTube as there will be new video on backhand this coming Monday April 30.

Definitely check out a fairway driver. I used to use a very similar driver lineup to you, and have seen some of my best distance now that I'm using a DX Eagle.

Discs that i use to throw..

I use Wizard SSS putter, Standing throw- 250's feet, with the X-steps 320's

Midrange- Shark, Roc, Buzzz, around 280-300's standing and 350's with X-steps But with Stingray glide is longer . The farthest i've thrown with midrange was around 375ft

Dont really use fairway drivers.

Drivers, Wraith, Groove, Katana, Nuke, Destroyer, Valkyrie, Orc, Roadrunner and Monarch. Standing throw around 300-350ft.. With X steps Most of them stay around 390's farthest was 430ft.. I saw some video about the Hammer throw practice, There was only rare events that i felt the disc literally rip out of my hand, index finger felt "indian burned" by the disc, But still at the area of 400. I know most courses only have less than 400ft around here like 350ft 275ft, so i dont need to go farther, but would be good to learn how to harness that though..

A friend told me that the "S" curve would have given me another 50-100ft (I'm not sure if it does?) so i m wondering if that's the main reason why my discs keep going straight and then fade, or anhyser only (turn only but no fade) just clairfying as much as i can..

But I will grab my camera along the next time this weekend and take a video maybe you, and the guys could catch what my issues are..

Thank you very much!

You are getting some pretty far 'stand-still' distances, but your x-step throws don't seem to add much to it. Seems odd to me.

350ft standstill drive, but only 390-430 or so with x-step?

I have plenty of snap but I dont think i can throw 350 standstill with anything. Maybe you need more of a run-up with your x-step

For those who live in Chicago area, might be good time to go to clinic hosted by NSDG:

For those who don't know who NSDG are, NSDG is a crew of 4 top ranked touring professional: Nikko Locastro, David Feldberg, Will Schusterick and Cale Leiviska. Def worth going to that clinic.

Via Non Stop Disc Golf Facebook:

It's is official! Non Stop Disc Golf is hosting a clinic at Channahon Community Park in Joliet, IL prior to the league that starts at 5:30. Sign ups for the clinic start at 2pm and the clinic begins at 3pm. The clinic will cost $25 a person. We heard about lots of Disc Golf love in the Chicago area, hope to see everyone there!!!

We will have a special guest at the Non Stop Clinic today! Catrina Allen, one of the top women professionals in the world, will be with us helping teach at Channahon Park! Spread the words to the ladies in the area!

For those who live in Chicago area, might be good time to go to clinic hosted by NSDG:

For those who don't know who NSDG are, NSDG is a crew of 4 top ranked touring professional: Nikko Locastro, David Feldberg, Will Schusterick and Cale Leiviska. Def worth going to that clinic.

Via Non Stop Disc Golf Facebook:

It's is official! Non Stop Disc Golf is hosting a clinic at Channahon Community Park in Joliet, IL prior to the league that starts at 5:30. Sign ups for the clinic start at 2pm and the clinic begins at 3pm. The clinic will cost $25 a person. We heard about lots of Disc Golf love in the Chicago area, hope to see everyone there!!!

We will have a special guest at the Non Stop Clinic today! Catrina Allen, one of the top women professionals in the world, will be with us helping teach at Channahon Park! Spread the words to the ladies in the area!

Can you link me? I am interested.

I believe the same people will be doing a clinic for the St. Louis Open on Thursday or Friday. That's next week.

Video, fairway drivers, line shaping, distance lines

Do Not! Make the mistake of learning how to throw distance lines and think that itll be applicable to more than 1% of the throws you will ever make in a competetive round, but it would be a nice skill to have when u need it

I am reading folks describe "releasing" the disc, I think this is misleading.

You do NOT release the disc on a distance drive, you accelerate the disc and it rips out of your hand regardless how strongly you try to hold it. That rip out of your hands is the primary factor in imparting spin to the disc, which keeps it from fading out as long as the spin is strong enough, am I wrong in my understanding or how I am describing that?

correct, the disc should rip from your hand and a lot of people release to early because they are simply letting it go. your grip should be at its strongest right before the disc rips from your hand. i see a lot of people short arm their distance throws and not get full extension at the shoulder.

yeah i would watch the Disc golf monthys 94 and 95.

maybe even contact the guys that make it see if they could/would add subtitles. maybe innova would do this too.

lots of deaf players in my area and would be nice if they had deaf friendly tutorials. Gallaudet