• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Over Buying Anonymous

Having too many discs that I'm not throwing gives me a weird kind of anxiety

Me too. I've found myself selling discs even if I don't really need the cash, and giving some discs away to friends and beginners. I actually don't like having a huge stash even though I really enjoy buying and trying new plastic. Of course I also get anxiety throwing discs for which I don't have a backup, so I find myself balancing owning too much vs too little. Owning between 50-70 seems like about the sweet spot for me...for now.

Since I keep seeing this thread pop up I figured I'd come and admit I recently spent nearly $100 on one mold.... Worth it!

Having too many discs that I'm not throwing gives me a weird kind of anxiety

At first, I interpreted your statement to mean that you feel anxious knowing that there are molds that you have not tried yet. But, I now see that you instead mean that you are uncomfortable with continuing to own discs that are not currently in your bag.

I fall more into the first category, and have indeed tried out lots of molds.

When I watch videos of major disc golf tournaments, and listen to top name professionals mention a disc being thrown by a competitor, and then admit that they know little or nothing about the disc, I think that it is weird that I usually seem to know more about lots of discs than the pros do. Granted, they are sponsored by one brand, and so do not need to have any knowledge of the molds by other manufacturers. It is just interesting that, although these discs are the tools of their trade, lots of average Joes have quite a bit more experience with a number of these tools than the top commentators do.

I see the stacks of discs I have collected and sitting on the shelf and wonder how much more comfortable my family could be living if I had not splurged so much trying to find the perfect bag set-up. I do not have wall-hangers, so almost everything I have purchased was with the intent of throwing them.

1) I have an illogical need to hang on to my Swords. Every once in awhile I put them back in the bag, then they have some tremendous shots for me, but finally I decide I do not need them, and they come back out of the bag. Whenever I look at my inventory and decide I need to thin out the herd, I do not put up my Swords up for sale.

2) Similar, but not to the same extent, I have a need for ESP Nebulas. Once or twice in the last five years I tried putting them in the bag, they are decent mids, but they never stay in there. It is partially due to that I am also a color snob in my tournament bag, needing all yellow (I would do all white, but currently Innova/ Discmania do not produce white G Star/Line). I only have one ESP Nebula in yellow. The others are orange and neon green. One time, thinking I was desperate for funds, I parted with all my ESP Nebulas, but within a month I had seller's remorse. I have since rebuilt my stock, and as of now, have no intention of selling those.

3) I have three set-ups: A Grip A14, Lat Luxury 3, and a AT Zuca. I like to keep all three fully stocked with my "bag" because I always keep the Grip in my car for those spur-of-the-moment fun rounds. I use my Lat for the bigger courses where I know I am going to be out longer. And I use my Zuca for tournaments, longer league rounds, and or when I want to film or take pictures. So, whenever I feel I need to have a disc in my bag, I actually need 6-7; 4 for the set-ups (2 in the Zuca and 1 for each bag) and then a few back-ups. While I have been better in the last year, I was notorious for losing discs a few years back. I finally live near where I teach, but for several years I commuted 75-90 minutes one direction. That put more courses within my reach when I drove home, but that also means I could not spend any length of time looking for arrant discs. I play less courses now, and those I do play, they have fewer places to lose a disc, and even then, I can spend more time looking. still, I need 6-7 of every mold I throw.

4) I am sucker for dyed disc on Ebay and or when Dynamic has a deal on their dyemax. I have several Thor dyemax and picked up numerous Minnesota Vikings dyed from local dyers and from Ebay.

When it is all said and done, I have a large shelf filled with discs that I may one day throw but do not currently. Those would be my Swords, Nebulas, dyed discs, EMac Truths, C-FDs, Star Gazelles, and TeeBirds (specifically PFN Star). Then there are the numerous back-ups like G-T3s, G-DDs, and Gold Line Pures. Do I need these many discs, but I am afraid of counting how much money I spent just to feel secure that I have enough discs. And then I have a tote filled with discs I would like to move, but so does everyone else, so moving them is a slow process if I want to get anything for them.

When I watch videos of major disc golf tournaments, and listen to top name professionals mention a disc being thrown by a competitor, and then admit that they know little or nothing about the disc, I think that it is weird that I usually seem to know more about lots of discs than the pros do. Granted, they are sponsored by one brand, and so do not need to have any knowledge of the molds by other manufacturers. It is just interesting that, although these discs are the tools of their trade, lots of average Joes have quite a bit more experience with a number of these tools than the top commentators do.

I believe part of it is the fact that they are paid by their sponsors to use their disc but I think it may also be a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I think the pros find discs that work for them in particular situations and stick with them unless they have good reason to change. Reminds me of the old adage "Beware of the man who only owns one gun... he likely knows how to use it."

When I first started playing I chased after the elusive "perfect discs" for my bag jumping from one mold to another based on what others in my circle were using, what was being talked up in the forums, etc. Never really spending the time to really learn a mold before moving on to the next "hot" mold. Then I got smart and instead of trying to find the molds that worked for me I starting to spend the time to learn how to work the molds I had.

I've been up and down the buying mountain, but now I'm pretty predictable - right after a tournament I will buy a disc or two, whether to build the stack of an often-used mold, or to fill some hole that the tournament convinced me was there, but is actually just poor execution.

SKOL! I want some Vikings dyed goodness!

The cart and the Lux E3 filled with purple and gold. I may be all in even if the players are not always.

31243482547_85878b4115_c.jpg

32310693958_14969d24d4_c.jpg