• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Driver Suggestions

I have a banshee for shorter overstable needs and a firebird for longer, it's a solid combination for me.

in order of potential distance:

banshee
firebird
monster
teerex
xcaliber

i don't know about any discraft other than the predator and force. XXX or trident for Lat64

U need and Xcal sir!!!! Without a doubt. My new star X-cal fies fantastic in these Tx Headwinds. Flips flat and just keeps on a-going.

Just FYI ---- dyed discs fly better!!!

Attachments

• 100_1966.jpg
    100_1966.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 20
All of the above suggestions are good. My personal headwind drivers for our windy Oklahoma days are Predators and Forces (I have 375-400 power). With REALLY stiff headwinds, even these will turn somewhat, but things like the trident are just too overstable for real use IMO.

Get a Predator cause it's not really fast but still overstable, or if you want something faster get a Force.

I've seen a few people say force, I think they are hit and miss. I had a 171 or 172 force and it was way flippy in windless conditions. I have a firebird and a star destroyer and I think the destroyer is way more overstable, especially if you're throwing around 400 like myself. I throw fairway drivers low and flat around 370-380 a nuke 420 and the destroyer 410 on a huge hyzer line. Hope this all helps.

Champ starfire is solid, my 150 valkyrie is the bees knees in a strong headwind though. Also, for shots in the 250' range my magic does well in the wind, max weight of course.

there are two types of overstable discs, type I and type II.

Type I (ex. Firebird, xXx) will start fading immediately out of the hand. these discs are considered to be true overstable. often times these discs aren't as useful when thrown BH. they usually don't go very far and are impossible to flip in the wind. they do perform miracles with trick shots, OH shots,FH and FH roller type shots.

Type II (ex. Trident [flat], Predator, Banshee) will go straight for a good distance and then fade HARD. the flat Tridents were the epitome of this when they came out. almost a perfect L shaped shot. these discs tend to perform better BH. they also are great for FH.

I've used both types of discs. Right now I'm using an Opto xXx but that is only because the courses here require that type of disc and/or my game functions better with that type disc. the type of disc you chose (I or II) depends on your game. if you throw mainly BH then a type II may do better. If you throw a lot of FH and OH then you definitely need a type I.

for wind fighting I generally use a flatter, Champ/Z version of my main driver. these discs will be more speed stable than the Star/ESP or Pro/X version. My main disc is the Avenger. I usually throw a domey Z or X version. the X has a rating of 1.6. the Z has a rating of 1.8. the flatter Zs could sometimes be rated as 2.0. this is generally (not absolutely) true for most drivers; the flat champ version is more stable and better in the wind. there are a lot of dependencies based on the features of the mold.

then there are the speed stable discs like the Boss. they are only HSS because of the gyroscopic effect of the wide wing. if you have a true cannon discs like that will have some turn in normal conditions and will flip in the wind.

consult Joe's Flight chart for more detail.

I've seen a few people say force, I think they are hit and miss. I had a 171 or 172 force and it was way flippy in windless conditions. I have a firebird and a star destroyer and I think the destroyer is way more overstable, especially if you're throwing around 400 like myself. I throw fairway drivers low and flat around 370-380 a nuke 420 and the destroyer 410 on a huge hyzer line. Hope this all helps.

Forces really depend on the dome. the domier the more stable.

I love my Z Predator. They are really reliable. I played a round in 20+ mph winds, threw it dead into the headwind, it turned alittle bit (these were some STRONG winds) and STIll came back hard on its fade.

predator, flick,.

z xtreme is the most overstable disc ever made, maybe to much. Very few people can throw it over 300 ft. its stability rating is 3.0

there are two types of overstable discs, type I and type II.

Type I (ex. Firebird, xXx) will start fading immediately out of the hand. these discs are considered to be true overstable. often times these discs aren't as useful when thrown BH. they usually don't go very far and are impossible to flip in the wind.

Type II (ex. Trident [flat], Predator, Banshee) will go straight for a good distance and then fade HARD. the flat Tridents were the epitome of this when they came out. almost a perfect L shaped shot. these discs tend to perform better BH.

Now that's just crazy talk son.