• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] P2 Replacement

bombproof

So from what I can tell the discmania P2 is on it 's way out at least from the way it used to be. There seems to be a lot of speculation going on around the relationship between DM and Innova. I just picked the sport up again after a 10 year hiatus (long story). I came across a P2 at a local store and now have got hooked on them. However I can't find stock anywhere to get a supply. After about 2 months of searching it's annoying and I am wondering if I should just find something more readily available. Anyone have a recommendation for the next closest copycat of the P2? Something I can actually get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Infinite Discs Alpaca is basically a P2. It may actually in fact be a p2 with different stamps.

So from what I can tell the discmania P2 is on it 's way out at least from the way it used to be. There seems to be a lot of speculation going on around the relationship between DM and Innova. I just picked the sport up again after a 10 year hiatus (long story). I came across a P2 at a local store and now have got hooked on them. However I can't find stock anywhere to get a supply. After about 2 months of searching it's annoying and I am wondering if I should just find something more readily available. Anyone have a recommendation for the next closest copycat of the P2? Something I can actually get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P2s are not going anywhere. It's Discmania's most popular mold. With covid the supply chain has killed the disc golf manufacturers. So be patient and the p2 will be back.

So from what I can tell the discmania P2 is on it 's way out at least from the way it used to be. There seems to be a lot of speculation going on around the relationship between DM and Innova.

Is there source for this speculation or just because COVID has killed the supply of plastic that there aren't any available?

From what I have read (not tried yet) the Infinite Alpaca is very close to a P2. As a P2 thrower I feel your pain. The secondary market for any P2 is getting kind of crazy

LOL @ suggesting Firefly as a replacement for too hard to find P2's.

They are a less stable, but the Aviar is a pretty similar feel. I putt grids or P2's depending on conditions.

If you like the P2, just be patient like jdm said. They will restock them. Some retailers have had them available over the past few months, but they have sold fast of course due to limited supply. When they are available again, just grab a nice stack and you'll be good for a while. Also, don't sleep on the stiff p-line. It's basically KC pro plastic. People seem to think K-P2s are special, but they are just an early run (maybe the first?) of stiff p-line that some people like the feel of. Don't @ me.

P2's are still on the Discmania website.

P1's and P1x's were removed though. I putt with P1's so I'm getting a little anxious about that.

How much difference is there between a P1 and a beadless Aviar?

How much difference is there between a P1 and a beadless Aviar?

I don't have any recent DX Aviar P&A, but compared to an older one I have the Aviar has more fade on putts.

I have heard lots of people say the P1 is very similar to a Classic Aviar, but in my experience even the Classic Aviar has slightly more fade than a P1 on longer putts.

P1 and P1X are nearly indistinguishable for me and I could putt with either. But I'm worried they may both be going out of production. I could probably get used to the Classic Aviar if necessary.

I don't have any recent DX Aviar P&A, but compared to an older one I have the Aviar has more fade on putts.

I have heard lots of people say the P1 is very similar to a Classic Aviar, but in my experience even the Classic Aviar has slightly more fade than a P1 on longer putts.

P1 and P1X are nearly indistinguishable for me and I could putt with either. But I'm worried they may both be going out of production. I could probably get used to the Classic Aviar if necessary.

Classic Aviar is what I putt with, and I throw P2s often, but I've never tried the P1. If they keep making P1s and they become available, I'll have to try them out. If they are like a seasoned Classic Aviar right away then that sounds interesting to me. Usually I like to have a couple hundred practice putts on a Classic Aviar before they get to where I really like them for putting. They are nice throwers for me right away though.

IIRC Simon (and others, like Leo Piironen) was putting with P1s this past season and has been trying to decide whether to switch back to P2s or not. If he decides to stick with the P1 then that might be a good confirmation that they will keep making them. It would be strange IMO if they stopped making P1s; seems like a good all around disc to have in the lineup.

It would be hard to believe that P2s are on the way out. Seems like it is their most popular disc. Glad I have a few backups for throwing though; this lack of supply has to be frustrating for everyone.

The P2 is one of the best selling putters of all time according to some retailers, like Infinite, who share some sales data. Does anybody genuinely think it would go out of production?

On potential replacements: I've gotten a few of the 2020 Fireflys(ies?) and Alpacas in recently, and both are almost indistinguishable from my P2s. The Firefly is obviously tough to find/pricey, but I'm really liking it now that it's getting colder out, and a stack of Alpacas in P-blend would make a nice set of practice putters.